High Passion by Vivian Arend

This series has been such a disappointment to me. The premise of the series is a great one, a mountain search and rescue organization, but instead of an interesting romantic suspense, the stories just deteriorate into bad soap opera. Just like the first book in the series, the sex scenes were sensual and erotic, but the rest of the story just didn't hold together. The villain, Vincent, was ridiculous as was most of the suspense in the story. Instead of romantic suspense, this series would have been much better as a contemporary romance set in search and rescue organization. The attempts to add suspense to these stories were not successful. ( )
  Mrslabraden | Jun 28, 2017 |
Heat Rating

I was given High Passion for and honest review by Manic Readers

Devon Leblanc has lusted after his team mate Alisha since search and rescue school. But now he is tired of hiding his lust and is ready to go for it. But now a man from her past is hanging around and team mates are being hospitalized.

Alisha Bailey was a poor little rich girl her wanted to make a life for herself on her own and she is happy with the life she has created for herself. She just wishes she could get past lusting after her team mate Devon, last..

For the rest of this review please visit http://lauralusbookreviews.blogspot.com/2015/02/high-passion-adrenaline-search-r... ( )
  LauraLusReviews | Feb 21, 2015 |
Hadn't expected to enjoy this book as much as I did. Loved Alisha, LOVED Devon. I thought that the interactions with the team were great, Devon's and Marcus's particularly so. Also really liked the way the team came together both while on the job and not, not to mention that [SPOILER...]

it was the women who came to the rescue in the end! And that wasn't an issue for anyone.

[END SPOILER]

Can't wait to read #3. ( )
  jendoyle2000 | Oct 8, 2014 |
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Romance with a fair shake of intrigue and rescues.

Opening Sentence: Sweat slicked the curve of his biceps as his arms flexed above her.

The Review:

Contemporary romance books have to be in my top 2 styles of all romance. In part because I know the world immediately, there is no need for the author to spend pages describing a world full of smartphones, cars, planes or the value of technology. In fact, it is like coming home from a long day at the office, grabbing a hot chocolate, slipping on your favorite sweats and grabbing your nearest blanket for a relaxing afternoon. This book encapsulates all of the above.

I adored that on the surface we had two main characters that had obviously been sensing and struggling with their attraction to each other, and yet for their own reasons held off making a move to turn the friendship into more. For Alisha’s part she doesn’t want to be a number on Devon’s bedpost. While Devon was shot down early on by Alisha and is waiting for the right time. Thankfully, for all of us readers that time was High Passion.

And if you need a larger story to keep you involved and coming back, there are two other threads that are pulled together. One of the threads is both of the families of Alisha and Devon. Both in their own way are obstacles that are needed to be diverted, overpowered and in some cases just yelled at. And we get all of that in spades.

The other thread that is woven masterfully through this story is the intrigue of where donation money came from and who is the “secret” donor. This secret doesn’t last long but there are other “mysterious” occurrences happening around the search and rescue team. Admittedly, one of them was quite easy to spot, and no, I’m not going to spoil it here, but the how it was managed was something I didn’t see coming.

I’m sure you are all wondering about the romance portion of this book. I have one word for you, “Steamy.” Once Alisha and Devon decide to take their relationship to the next level, hold on to your seat because it is going to be a long and bumpy ride, but worth it in the end.

Some of you also might be wondering, can I jump into this book because it sounds amazing, even if I haven’t read High Risk? I’m here to tell you that I did and this could easily be a stand alone book. There is enough to get you invested, and nothing to prevent you from falling in love with Alisha and Devon or any of the other team members of Lifeline. I’m looking forward to reading Erin’s story in High Seduction in the near future.

Final thoughts, this book is wonderful and if you are looking for a contemporary romance with a splash of intrigue and great sex, then this is your book.

Notable Scene:

It might be evil, but it was a challenge. He sprang forward and stepped on the surface, shoving the roller to the right and spinning it. Alisha struggled to keep her balance, then lost the fight, toppling to the side with a wicked splash.

Becki turned from the other side, where she’d stepped on the platform. “Dirty pool, Devon, dirty pool.”

“Teamworks comes in all sorts of styles,” he taunted as Alisha swam back to the starting platform to try again.

The rest of the challenges passed with a great deal of splashing and shouting, and by the time they dragged themselves up on the deck at the far side, Devon hit the bell a half second behind Alisha.

Her brilliant smile was worth losing to see.

FTC Advisory: Berkley/Penguin provided me with a copy of High Passion. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
1 vote DarkFaerieTales | Feb 13, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425263347, Mass Market Paperback)

LIFELINE: an elite search-and-rescue squad based out of Banff, Alberta. Specializing in high-risk rescue missions, this team goes wherever the job takes them...

Alisha Bailey left a life of privilege for the dangerous but thrilling world of search and rescue. Denying the lure of attraction to her teammate is another sacrifice she's made to prove to everyone--including her family--that she's more than a pretty face or a business commodity.

Since their training days, Devon Leblanc has used the competitive fire between them to hide his fascination with the petite beauty. When a natural disaster forces their rivalry aside, heated passion finally flares between them. Sexual pleasure slowly gives way to a new appreciation for each other's skills--on the field and in the bedroom.

But when unexplained accidents begin happening to the Lifeline team, their newfound unity may be their only hope for survival...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:23 -0400)

"Alisha Bailey left a life of privilege for the dangerous but thrilling world of search and rescue. Denying the lure of attraction to her teammate is another sacrifice she's made to prove to everyone-- including her family-- that she's more than a pretty face or a business commodity. Since their training days, Devon Leblanc has used the competitive fire between them to hide his fascination with the petite beauty. When a natural disaster forces their rivalry aside, heated passion finally flares between them. Sexual pleasure slowly gives way to a new appreciation for each other's skills-- on the field and in the bedroom. But when unexplained accidents begin happening to the Lifeline team, their newfound unity may be their only hope for survival" -- from publisher's web site.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,758,844 books! | Top bar: Always visible