STEP (The Senses) by Cindy Paterson

STEP (The Senses)

by Cindy Paterson

511,436,638 (5)None

This review can also be found on my blog.

This series just keeps getting better and better. I really liked the first book. I loved the second book. I have so much to say, but I don't want to spoil anything so I'll keep it short.

Off-Kilter never got Rayne out of his mind, nor could he shake the guilt over having left her behind to face the wrath of her husband, Anton. Her freedom should have been a welcome relief, but it only brings along a whole set of other problems. My heart broke for Rayne. Her sickness was slowly killing her, and she welcomed it. After all, what did she have to live for? And then there's Kilter. He's a complex being all on his own with his own demons, but he has his heart in the right place. He's crass, rude, blunt, no nonsense, and distrustful. But something about Rayne makes protective instincts rise to the fore front. Something completely foreign to him. It does seem like he tries to find salvation and perhaps redemption by doing everything in his power to save her from herself.

I loved this pairing. They were both equally wounded souls yet they each possessed something the other needed. Acceptance, understanding, and compassion. They both know what betrayal and pain feels like. Kilter doesn't sugar coat and he doesn't say something he doesn't mean. Rayne learns that she needs to express her thoughts and feelings honestly, so really they match up pretty well. The timeline and their path to something more was well paced and took their healing into consideration. I found myself being impressed by Rayne's inner strength to no longer be a victim of her circumstances.

If you haven't read the first book, you will get lost. In STEP, there are two other subplots to follow – the Waleron/Delara drama and Damien and Abby. This story definitely couldn't do without them because they're integral in pushing the story forward and set up book #3. Waleron …. I love him and I hate him. There's no way around it. Every time he was around Delara, my heart broke for her a little bit more. The twist at the end took me completely by surprise. Now I'm left to wait and wonder what will become of Delara. As for Damien and Abby – the author kept me in a perpetual state of weeping. There is A LOT to take in, but by the end of the book, it was all worth it.

If you love paranormal romance, you have to read this series. It's definitely one of my favorites of 2012.

Disclaimer: I received a copy from the author. A review in exchange was not promised. ( )
  MsRomanticReads | Apr 12, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,633,348 books! | Top bar: Always visible