The Dawn of Christmas: A Romance from the…

The Dawn of Christmas: A Romance from the Heart of Amish Country

by Cindy Woodsmall

This title was originally offered in the 3-in-1 book "Christmas in Apple Ridge" by Cindy Woodsmall but her fans loved it so much, she chose to let those of us who LOVE having lots and lots of books, have the stories in 3 separate hardbound novellas.

THANK YOU CINDY!

I don't know about you but I have a personal fondness for hard bound books. There's just something about a nice thick cover, a pretty dustcover that you can slip off while you're reading and then slip back on so it looks pretty on the shelf. It may be weird but I'm OK with that.

These Apple Ridge Novellas are absolutely some of Cindy Woodsmall's best work. Each story is written in such a way that you could quite easily read it all by itself and not miss much about what has happened in the others. And yet, if you read them in order, they flow so nicely from one to the next. I don't know if she has anymore in the works but I'm hoping so!

This story focuses on two young people who have experienced heartbreak firsthand in the worst way. It's not something one typically associates with the Amish community. In fact, nothing about the main characters in these three novellas is something we typically associate with the Amish but they are very real and very true-to-life struggles that the Amish deal with just as often as we English do.

I have to say I was surprised at the deviousness of one particular character. I won't spoil it for you but you'll know who I'm talking about when you get there. It was a pleasant surprise and masterfully written. Definitely not something you would expect in the Amish community but very well-written and done in exactly the right way for the character!

Cindy has written all of these stories so beautifully. The characters are wonderful and the story pulls you right in. I remarked to a good friend the other day that Cindy has a particular talent for writing the Amish voice. I am one of those people who hears the characters talking in my head as I read the story. It's probably why I remember so much about stories I've read, even years later. And when I "hear" Cindy's characters, they truly sound Amish. I would love to say it's true of most other Amish fiction authors I read but sadly, it is not. And that's OK. They're still great stories or I wouldn't read them and then go on about them here.

As you can probably guess, I received this book free from WaterBrook Multnomah in exchange for my honest review but I already owned the first two hard-bound books in the series and I would have bough this one!

And I wholeheartedly recommend it to my friends! GREAT GREAT READ! All three books in the series are well-worth the full purchase price and 5 star reads!
  JCMorrows | Aug 25, 2015 |
Sadie sees with her eyes that her fiancé may not be as perfect as she thought, and isn’t the man she wants to marry. People close to her think she has lied, or have been “seeing” things that wasn’t there between her future husband, and the other girl. Sadie was crushed, and thought marriage would never be something to think about again.
Sadie meets Levi when she found his horse, and later found him. Levi was hurt badly, and Sadie saved his life. Sadie and Levi become friends, they decided they would “date” to keep their families quiet about the dating/ courtship life.
Sadie wants to go into Mission work, but her family wants her to marry into the Amish faith, get married and raise a family of her own.
I recommend you grab this easy, fun read. Find out for yourself what happens, and how the story plays out. You won’t be disappointed, and neither was I. ( )
  wjbooks | Feb 26, 2015 |
The Dawn of Christmas
Cindy Woodsmall

Book Summary: Sadie enjoys her freedom away from home and her mission trips to Peru, but after four years, her Old Order Amish family insists it's time to come home and settle down. Levi, a bachelor who distrusts women after a family heartbreak, also has no desire for romance. To keep their families from meddling in their lives, Sadie and Levi devise a plan-but soon discover that the walls around their hearts are breaking down. Can they let go of their prejudices, learn to trust each other, and embrace a future together?

Review: I loved Sadie and Levi. It was great to see all the previous Christmas Novella characters back. The story line was great and fun to read with great dialog going between Sadie and Levi. Like every Cindy Woodsmall book it has some teary eyed moments that were quite worth it. I can’t wait for the next book!. I enjoyed the off beat traits that Sadie had and Levi was a great companion to her. It is a rare gem of a story and look forward to visiting them in the future.
I would like to thank Waterbrook Press and Blogging for Books for allowing me to read and review this book in return for a free copy and I was never asked to write a favorable review by anyone. ( )
  Robin661 | Apr 8, 2014 |
Cindy Woodsmall takes us back to The Amish community of Apple Ridge. The Dawn of Christmas is a wonderful story about allowing yourself to love and trust again. Sadie and Daniel were to marry until Sadie caught him kissing her cousin. The story they told was one of innocence, making Sadie out to be hysterical and simply jumping to conclusions. Sadie knows what she saw and her father, a member of the Old Order Community, allowed Sadie to travel to Peru with Mennonite missionaries. But now he demands that Sadie come home, which she agrees to do, but only for a short time. Then she meets Levi and suddenly she is unsure of herself. Both have vowed never to fall in love, yet they finds themselves falling for each other. Until Levi's friend Daniel begins to tell Levi about his former fiancée. ( )
  wearylibrarian | Feb 1, 2014 |
The Dawn of Christmas by Cindy Woodsmall is a wonderful story dealing with second chances and learning to trust. Sadie was engaged to Daniel and shortly before the wedding she caught him kissing her cousin but he tried to convince her that she did not see what she thought she saw. In fact, most people in the community did not believe Sadie. Her family decided that it would be best if she
moved away and this gives her the opportunity to spend time in Peru as a missionary. After four years, Sadie is ready to go back home and her family welcomes her back. Soon after Sadie arrived back home she is out walking and finds Levi lying in the snow seriously injured after being thrown from his horse. He distrusts women after watching his brother suffer when his wife left him with a young son to rear alone. Their families and friends begin to meddle in their lives by trying to get them romantically interested in each other. To keep the peace, Sadie and Levi decide to pretend that they are courting and this leads to lots of interesting situations..

This story was very well written and all the characters were so well developed that they came to life. Through the dialogue of the characters I could feel their pain and sorrow. All the scenes were so descriptive that I was right in the middle of the action. Both main characters had suffered from the actions of others and I really liked the way the author had them turning to God for guidance and for the ability to forgive the ones who wronged them. It was interesting to follow Sadie and Levi in their journey of learning to trust again.

I definitely recommend this book to all readers who are lovers of Amish fiction that involves a great romance.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Waterbrook Multnomah Publishers through their Blogging for Books program in exchange for an honest review. I was not required to give a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. ( )
  deanna13 | Nov 21, 2013 |
The Dawn of Christmas is relevant to much more than the holiday. Two young adults have been badly hurt, each by a member of the opposite gender, and have lost all hope for a future relationship or imminent marriage. This Amish tale is a story of learning to trust where all hope of trust has been destroyed by another. As the two discover one another a friendship of sorts begins. Upon pressure from her father, Sadie and Levi formulate a plan to "court" to satisfy the demands of Sadie's family. The friendship between them is comfortable over time until each realizes there is more to the relationship than just convenience and friendship alone. With issues from the past staring them in the face the question appears regarding where this relationship should go. Will one betray the other when the going gets rough?

"Old Order Amish Sadie Yoder and Levi Fischer are each determined to remain single, but what happens when two friends start to truly care?"--

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,969,095 books! | Top bar: Always visible