The Year's Best Science Fiction:…

The Year's Best Science Fiction: Thirtieth Annual Collection

by Gardner Dozois (Editor)

Other authors: Eleanor Arnason (Contributor), Christopher Barzak (Contributor), Elizabeth Bear (Contributor), Michael Bishop (Contributor), Pat Cadigan (Contributor)22 more, Indrapramit Das (Contributor), Aliette de Bodard (Contributor), Andy Duncan (Contributor), William Gleason (Contributor), Jay Lake (Contributor), Megan Lindholm (Contributor), Richard A. Lovett (Contributor), Brit Mandelo (Contributor), Paul McAuley (Contributor), Sean McMullen (Contributor), David Moles (Contributor), Sarah Monette (Contributor), Linda Nagata (Contributor), Steven Popkes (Contributor), Hannu Rajaniemi (Contributor), Robert Reed (Contributor), Alastair Reynolds (Contributor), Adam Roberts (Contributor), Vandana Singh (Contributor), Lavie Tidhar (Contributor), Carrie Vaughn (Contributor), Robert Charles Wilson (Contributor)

Series: Dozois Year's Best Science Fiction (30), Mammoth Book of Best New Science Fiction (26)

Recently added byprivate library, dwhatson, rossarn, jkrzok, MarshallMcGowan

I find these giant collections of stories on my e-book to be the perfect thing when traveling. Dozois' collection is probably the best of the big three that come out every year, but that might just be because his always contains twice as many stories. In any case, great, diverting reads and a good way to keep up with the best sf writers' non-novel works. ( )
  ronhenry | Nov 17, 2015 |
These Annual collections are always full of ideas and with the honourable mentions give a good picture of SF in 2012 in this csse. Always well worth a read. ( )
  jerhogan | Dec 2, 2013 |
Gardner Dozois's The Year's Best Science Fiction is always highly anticipated in my household, and this edition is no different. I have always trusted Dozois's tastes as an editor, and although I read much less science fiction than I used to, I still check out his choices eagerly. This year there were only a couple of stories that I had read previously (in The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction), so most of the material was new to me. As with any anthology, there are some stories I like more than others, and a different reader is apt to like stories that I didn't and vice versa. That said, I was really taken by "Weep for Day," by Indrapramit Das, about humans on a planet half in daylight and half in darkness, waging genocide against the night people; "The Stars Do Not Lie," by Jay Lake, concerning Creationism and science on a distant planet; Eleanor Aranson's "Holmes Sherlock," part of her Hwarhathian series; "Steamgothic," by Sean McMullen; Elizabeth Bear's novella, "In the House of Aryaman, A Lonely Signal Burns," a mystery; "Sudden, Broken and Unexpected," by Steven Popkes, a rock'n'roll novella; "The Wreck of the 'Charles Dexter Ward,'" by Sarah Monette and Elizabeth Bear, essentially a zombies-on-a-spaceship tale; and Christopher Barzak's "Invisible Men," a retelling of Wells's The Invisible Man from the point of view of the maid-of-all-work at the inn where the title character hides out. A couple of observations that have probably been true for some time now, but that struck me in particular with this edition: A fairly high percentage of stories make a point of having lead or major characters who are LGB or T, and there are more non-Western authors being represented than ever before. In some cases, the gay element felt exploitative to me, in others it was intrinsic to the story; but with respect to the increasing inclusion of non-Western writers, I find that an excellent trend that I hope will continue! As ever with this collection, if you buy only one anthology of sff, this is the one to buy; highly recommended! ( )
1 vote thefirstalicat | Sep 3, 2013 |

Tidhar, LavieContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vaughn, CarrieContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wilson, Robert CharlesContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is a different series from Best Science Fiction Stories of the Year (also by Dozois)
Reprinted as The Mammoth Book of Best New SF 26 in the UK.

In the new millennium, what secrets lay beyond the far reaches of the universe? What mysteries belie the truths we once held to be self evident? The world of science fiction has long been a porthole into the realities of tomorrow, blurring the line between life and art. Now, in The Year's Best Science Fiction: Thirtieth Annual Collection the very best SF authors explore ideas of a new world through their short stories.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,059,164 books! | Top bar: Always visible