Trang Sen by Sarah Ann Smith

Trang Sen

by Sarah Ann Smith

222,551,640 (4)None
Recently added byMinDaf, MyBookAddiction

I found Trang Sen by Sarah-Ann Smith to be a very interesting read. I enjoyed Sarah-Ann Smith's flow of writing and found the story line to be very fascinating. Of course due to the setting it is a given that there is plenty of drama that unfolds in their story. I found myself turning pages quickly wanting to know what was going to happen next.

Trang Sen is a very strong young lady that endures so many heartaches and over comes so many problems in her life. I found myself to be very fond of this young lady that had to deal with so many problems at a very young age. She found an unexpected love in the form of an American solider. Her family does not approve and disowns her. Her love for Arthur creates a lot of problems for her but she stand behind her decision to become involved with him. There are circumstances in Art's life that makes it hard for him to take care of Trang Sen when he as to return to the states. I liked that her cousin stood by her even when the rest of her family did not approve and how Trang Sen & Kim Hoa are always there for each other. She also develops a wonderful friendship with a gentleman that helps her and her family when they are most in need.

Trang Sen's story is very descriptive of what life was like in Vietnam during the war. I have to admit I found this to be a very educational read and learned a great deal that I did not know. I really enjoyed reading this story and would love to read more by Ms. Smith. I don't know if she has planned a follow up to this story but I would like to read more about Trang Sen and learn more of what happened to her and her family. ( )
  MinDaf | Jul 4, 2013 |
TRANG SEN is a phenomenal novel that tells of a young girl discovering herself amidst war and life. The historical detail of the book is rich and flavorful and more powerful is the simple way in which the story is told, without artifice, that gives it a biographical touch. I highly recommend this poignant story to anyone wishing to relieve a historic period through the eyes of a young innocent who was forced to grow up too early, and find her own way through life.

Rating: 4

Reviewed by: MaryC,My Book Addiction Reviews ( )
  MyBookAddiction | Apr 13, 2013 |

Set in the Vietnam War era, Sarah Ann Smith's novel "Trang Sen" touches numerous genres—historical novel, coming of age, love story, political analysis—but at heart it is simply a riveting story of fascinating people caught up in the turmoil of their time and place, and told in the spare style of a true master of the language. Trang Sen is "White Lotus," a young Vietnamese girl caught up in the chaos and heartbreak of civil war, international conflict, and the disintegration of her family. At last, in a new life far from her homeland, she finds deep within herself the brave woman she has always longed to be.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:53 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,806,348 books! | Top bar: Always visible