The Prince of Earth by Mike Robinson

by Mike Robinson

621,268,033 (4.33)None

Book Info: Genre: Dark fiction
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: People who like to read things that twist their brain
Trigger Warnings: sexual assault

My Thoughts:
“...But sometimes freakish things just happen. A synapse misfires and suddenly it's a week later and you're naked in mud surrounded by cops.”

“That's just college.”
So, is this a story about a woman who has an experience with a horrible unknown creature, or is this a story about a woman going mad? I really can't say, there are arguments either way. What I can say is that I just loved this mind-twisting story. I may not have completely understood what was going on, but I certainly enjoyed reading it. I also loved the beautiful descriptions of the Cairngorns in Scotland, although after reading this book I might not be so interested in actually going there for fear something like this might happen to me!

Beautifully written book. If you like stories that will twist your brain and make you question everything you think you know, then you really need to check out this book.

Disclosure: I received an e-book copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Synopsis: In 1988, young American traveler Quincy Redding is trekking across the misty terrain of the Scottish Highlands. She is destined for the infamous peak Ben MacDui, the summit of which soon finds her inexplicably debilitated and at the mercy of a malevolent entity.

The book spans twenty years, alternately following Quincy in her 1988 ordeal in Scotland as well as Quincy in 2008, when, as an adult, she begins experiencing abnormalities that threaten her family and her life—phenomena that may be related to what happened all those years ago.

As both older and younger Quincy learn more of their situation, and as their worlds further entwine, she becomes increasingly uncertain of the perceived temporality or reality of each period. ( )
  Katyas | Oct 10, 2013 |
I really liked Mike Robinson's previous work: "The Green-Eyed Monster" for its originality. The story I had read continued to haunt me for several days and that is why I was delighted to get my hands on his new novel.

Do not be fooled by the cover that reflects a childish picture. The story is not a fairy tale, or a story to help children sleep... Quite the contrary!

Immediately, from the early chapters, the author took me by surprise. I was destabilized. I found myself rubbing my eyes or coming back to the previous paragraph, thinking I have skipped something important ... I was confused. Then, I realized that I had been caught in the nets of its history. This is beautifully done by the author!

In fact, Mike Robinson puts the plot in two crucial moments of Quincy Redding's life. First in 2008, depicturing a married woman, with one child, who has a successful but stressful career. A stress that playing tricks on her. At least, this is the first logical explanation she draws.

Regularly, to understand the woman she became, the reader dives in the past. More accurately in 1988, during a trip to Scotland that Quincy made in her youth, while touring Europe. An experience particularly difficult emotionally and mentally, since she disappeared for several days without explanations.
A brillant temporal alternance, studded with details, imaginated to manipulate the reader into drawing conclusions by trying to unravel the mystery.
For the reader, looking for a logical explanation it's a good way to reassure itself, when Mike Robinson's tale takes on a rather creepy slope.

Once started this novel, you want to know! Is it an acid trip? A fantasy novel ? Will there be dramas, blood? Have you been embedded on a time travel machine or thrown back in the middle of a trip to hell ... You just want to know ... And you keep turning, turning pages.

Be careful, this is not a novel full of big explosions. It's much worse...Everything will be played in your mind.

Disturbing, frightening ... A marvel!

Lucie
http://newbooksonmyselves.blogspot.fr/2013/04/the-prince-of-earth-by-mike-robins... ( )
  luciefuentes | Apr 13, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,501,786 books! | Top bar: Always visible