The Night Is Watching by Heather Graham

The Night Is Watching

by Heather Graham

Lily, Arizona is an old western town that had some interesting inhabitants. The problem is, some of them are still there. When a skull with a wig is found in the props of the old theater, Sheriff SlaonTrent askes for help from his old friend who is in charge of a very special group of federal agents known as the Krewe of Hunters. These are law people that have unique abilities to see and speck to the dead...and in Lily the dead have plenty to say.

Jane Everett is in the FBI, part if the Krewe. She is an artist who does forensic work. She also sees ghosts. She has been sent to Lily to work on the skull. If they can figure out who she was and why this old skull turned up now in the theater.

Sloan used his contact to get Jane sent to identify the skull. But he is not happy keeping the skull in his town he wanted to send it out. its over 100 years. Sloan used to be a cop in Texas but moved back to his hometown when his grandfather got cancer.

Jane is given the haunted room of where Sage's has been showing up in the middle of the night scaring people away. She is in her room and calls Sloan a name and her hairbrush comes flying at her.

Then a more dead bodies turn up and one of them is fresh found out in the desert. The town is having their busiest season right as everything starts to go wrong in Lily. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Review: The Night is Watching

I've read several sets of Heather Graham's "Krewe of Hunters" novels and enjoyed them. They always have a nice combination of suspense, romance, and mystery, usually involving something "ghostly." The criminal's however, are usually human.

This book focuses on Jane Everett, an FBI agent who can often see the dead and who is also a forensic artist. She is called out to a small, supposedly haunted town in Arizona to investigate a very old skull that was found in a theater. The Sheriff there is the "oh so good looking" Sloan Trent, and while the two main characters do get off on the wrong foot, they soon work as a team and then of course, take it to the next level.

Jane soon begins seeing the ghosts of two people who were murdered years ago, one of them being the great great grandmother of Sloan. Apparently, there was a plan to steal a stagecoach filled with gold and those who found out about this plan were murdered before they could talk. In the present, new attacks and a murder or two also occur and Jane and Sloan need to put together the past to uncover what is happening in the present.

I read this book in one day, as I usually do with Heather Graham's stories. It wasn't too long and I thought it was fun to try to guess who was really the true criminal and why they committed the crimes. Heather's novels aren't really deep, they are just good all around fun for those people like me who just enjoy a good paranormal mystery. She has two more books coming out in this set, one in August and the third in September. If you want to start at the beginning to see how this FBI branch that investigates the paranormal was created, start with Phantom Evil. Her books run in sets of three with each set focusing on different characters in the Krewe of Hunters.
  Lagnella | Mar 4, 2016 |
Book 9 of the Krewe of Hunters series takes place in Lily, Arizona. The discovery of an old skull among the props in the Gilded Lily, a former theater, has Jane Everett in town to create a image of who skull once was. Sloan Trent is the sheriff in town and he has a bad feeling that something is getting ready to happen in Lily. Logan and Kelsey from earlier books arrive to help Jane and Sloan unravel the mystery as more deaths and attempted deaths begin.
There were a couple of times in this book that the wrong character was mentioned which is a little distracting. Example: Page 225 "Sloan's mood was like a thunder-cloud, and Jennie (supposed to be Jane) had difficulty disentangling herself from the people trying to stop her as she walked toward the door", I understood that Jennie was not in that paragraph but it does distract from the story because I had to stop and reread it to think about who was in it. Maybe proof reading is more difficult than I thought. ( )
  DunnFunKat | Oct 3, 2013 |
In Graham’s paranormal mystery novel, agent Jane Everett is a talented artist capable or reconstructing faces. When a skull is found in the dressing room of the Gilded Lady, a former theater in Lily, Arizona, the sheriff calls on his old friend, Logan Raintree for assistance. A member of the Krewe of Hunters, Jane has gifts as does Sheriff Sloan Trent. A former Houston cop, Trent shares Jane’s gift for seeing the dead and together they will search for answers as they fall into danger and into love with each passing day.

Suspenseful and dark. Graham deftly weaves elements of mystery, the paranormal, and romance into a plot that will keep the reader guessing. ( )
  debbieaheaton | Jun 24, 2013 |
Heather Graham writes one hell of a ghost story. I didn't guess who the bad guy was at all. I mean, of course I had my suspicions, but then I rule them out and try again. So, when the bad guy was revealed I was pleasantly surprised.

The book is set in a small town in Arizona that is an Old West attraction with several reputed ghost sittings. The town sheriff is called to a case involving one of the towns most famous ghost and calls his friend, Logan Raintree, for help. Logan sends in his forensic artist, Jane, to help and ends up solving not just their present case, but also a case over 100 years old. Of course the sparks between Sloan and Jane were hot enough to scorch the pages or short out my e-reader.

The only thing I didn't care for was after the bad guy reveal it wrapped up to quickly. I can't wait to read more of this series and really wished Ms. Graham would write them as fast as I can read them. Wrote as part of a series, but can be read as a stand-alone. Recommend to readers who enjoy a little ghost action with their romance. ( )
  amdrane2 | Jun 9, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0778315061, Mass Market Paperback)

The dead of night

The Old West town of Lily, Arizona, is home to the Gilded Lily, a former theater…and bawdy house. These days, it offers theatrical productions geared to tourists, but the recent discovery of a skull, a real skull, among the props and costumes shakes everyone up.

So, who do you call? The Krewe of Hunters, a special FBI unit of paranormal investigators. In this case, it's agent Jane Everett. Jane's also a talented artist who creates images of the dead as they once were. But the Krewe always works with local law enforcement, and here that means Sloan Trent, former Houston cop and now sheriff. His great-great-grandmother was an actress at the Gilded Lily…and she's not resting in peace.

Then more remains appear in the nearby desert. As they search for answers, using all the skills at their disposal, Jane and Sloan find themselves falling into danger—and into love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:31 -0400)

When a human skull is found on the grounds of the historic Gilded Lily theater, Sheriff Sloan Trent works with Krewe of Hunters paranormal investigator Jane Everett to discover what is going on.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,724,959 books! | Top bar: Always visible