Defending the faith : apologetics in women's…

Defending the faith : apologetics in women's ministry (2012)

by Mary Sharp

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is thought provoking. It's wonderful, first, that it is targeted towards woman, and second, in the content itself: relevant, clear and concise. I think this would be a good bible study book for a women's group. ( )
  swivelgal | Dec 9, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is an excellent resource for women's ministry leaders. It takes you beyond just studying the Bible to a faith renewing and challenging review of the fundamentals of Christian belief. I found myself rethinking my commitments and priorities and that is always a good thing. ( )
  artisu | Oct 29, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
[Defending the Faith: Apologetics in Women's Ministry] by: [[Mary Jo Sharp]]--- Basically tells about incorporating apologetics or defending the Christian faith in women's ministry and why that is so important. She tells many anecdotes from her encounters with various debates she's had. She encourages women's ministries to teach on apologetics and shows how to go about doing it. She gives tips on engaging people in apologetics and lists important resources in the back of the book. I thought that overall the book was ok, it could've been written better, but it is a good starter book. ( )
  mamachunk | Sep 19, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I am currently reading the book and I am enjoying it (even though the target reader are women). I think she is right in the fact that we need more women to be trained in apologetics in the church. I'll write a longer review later.
  despond | Sep 17, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have just finished reading "Defending the Faith" by Mary Jo Sharp and may I say it is one of the best reads I have experienced in quite a while. Mary Jo is a renowned Christian apologist and in this book she challenges all Christians everywhere to do the "hard work" of "study(ing) to show yourself approved" by knowing what you believe and why you believe it. I, too, like Mary Jo have seen firsthand the multitudes of people who identify themselves as Christians yet who have never progressed past the point of being "babes in Christ." So many Christians today are simply nominal Christians at best because they have never studied the scriptures or reasons for their professed beliefs. Mary Jo not only challenges us to get out of our comfort zones and dig deep, deep, deep into what we believe and why we believe it but to learn to be able to defend our beliefs in a reasonable, intellectual, factual, historical, and realistic way. If we are so quick to claim that we have faith in the God who has the answers to life's questions and the cure for mankind's ills then we should be able to express these truths to others in a coherent and confident manner. While Mary Jo's main intention in writing this book is to encourage women to get excited about Christian apologetics, she is not advocating that there is a separate set of apologetics for men and for women. She is merely trying to encourage more women to get involved in apologetics. This book is exciting, encouraging, and enabling towards this end. I cannot recommend "Defending the Faith" enough. It is a book whose time has come and Mary Jo Sharp was indeed the author to write it. ( )
  exinanition | Sep 5, 2013 |

Popular apologist Mary Jo Sharp issues a personal challenge for sisters in Christ to approach their faith on an intellectual level, along with a compelling call for women's ministries to help women love God with their minds by incorporating apologetics into their programs.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:43 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Mary Sharp's book Defending the Faith: Apologetics in Women's Ministry was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,990,283 books! | Top bar: Always visible