Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 1…

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 1 (edition 1995)

by Hayao Miyazaki, Hayao Miyazaki (Illustrator)

507None20,022 (4.39)14
Member:apfergus
Title:Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 1
Authors:Hayao Miyazaki
Other authors:Hayao Miyazaki (Illustrator)
Info:VIZ Media LLC (1995), Edition: 1, Paperback, 264 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:graphic novel, post-apocalyptic, science fiction, manga

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Volume 1 by Hayao Miyazaki

Recently added byaleader, Sarah.Avery, TeragramKlaw, CaliSoleil, Schehezerade, questbird, private library, hawkwolf
action (3) adventure (11) animation (3) comic (8) comic book (3) comics (38) ecology (5) fantasy (48) fiction (22) ghibli (4) graphic novel (53) Hayao Miyazaki (4) Japan (11) Japanese (11) manga (143) Miyazaki (10) Nausicaä (12) novel (3) owned (3) post-apocalyptic (12) read (5) sarjakuvat (3) science fiction (43) series (5) sf (5) steampunk (3) Studio Ghibli (5) to-read (6) Viz (5) war (7)
    The fellowship of the ring by J. R. R. Tolkien (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: Long, epic fantasy.
    Princess Mononoke Film Comic, Volume 1 by Hayao Miyazaki (omf)
    omf: In both books Miyazaki tells an ecological story.
    Akira, Volume 1 by Katsuhiro Ōtomo (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: The best of epic Japanese manga.

One thousand years after a war destoryed much of the Earth, humanity clings to existence at the fringes of a vast, polluted forest inhabited by monstrous insects. Only Nausicaa, the princess of the tiny realm of the Valley of the Wind, grasps the environmental significance of the forest. She sees beyond wars and national rivalries to the only viable future for the planet.
  alishablaire | Mar 18, 2014 |
I have been reading a bit of science fantasy recently. This is an intriguing post-apocalyptic setting set in a valley at the edge of a poisoned forest habitable only by fungi and mutated insects. The survivor states scrabble for old technology in the ruins, and make war on one another. I enjoyed the plot and the characters. I found the right-to-left reading (I am a native English reader) puzzling and confusing at times, with panels occasionally so chaotic I didn't even know what was going on. I am certainly inspired to see the movie of this and/or read more of the series. ( )
  questbird | Feb 20, 2014 |
Nausicaa is one of the classics in Japan. Everyone knows the story from children to adults and I was surprised to see it in a Graphic Novel form. The pictures, the drawings are just like the ones in the movie, with the special Hayao Miyazaki touch to it. I love his flying objects that he includes in all of his film, including Mehve. I love how strong Nausicaa is, and it is amazing for Hayao Miyazaki to be representing a strong woman!
  kurumy | Dec 8, 2013 |
An interesting and vibrant story, full of fantastical things (and also melancholy). Miyazaki's drawing style is quite soft, without the hard lines of other artists I've read, but I liked it. It reminded me of the illustrations in some children's books when books I read still tended to have illustrations. It also seemed somehow appropriate to the story and the world. ( )
  Shimmin | Nov 29, 2013 |
You know the films of Hayao Miyazaki, of course. My Neighbour Totoro, Spirited Away, Porco Rosso, Laputa: Castle in the Sky and others are renowned the world over as some of the most beautiful and thrilling animation (cinema, even) ever made. But do you know his manga?
In a near future humanity struggles for survival after almost destroying the world. Swathes of the Earth have been turned into vast, encroaching fungal jungles, crawling and swarming with giant insects, the air thick with spores lethal to humans. In the last habitable areas between, ordinary people try to get by as best they can but their leaders remain locked in factional feuds - scrabbling for power, squabbling over resources and attempting to salvage and revive the horrifying war technology that caused the catastrophe in the first place. One young woman, Nausicaa, has found the key to a different future. But as war breaks out once more and humanity's final self-destruction appears inevitable, can she survive long enough to convince anyone else to believe her dangerous ideas?
If there's one 'classic manga' - one pinnacle of the form that's also a gateway to the rest - then Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind might just be it. To call it manga's The Lord of the Rings seems apt but actually a disservice: I've loved LOTR most of my life but I think that with Nausicaa Miyazaki surpasses Tolkien in charm, thrills, cleverness, passion, characterisation and scope - and Miyazaki does it while drawing all the art as well.
Nausicaa's world is impeccably detailed; the battles are huge, the monsters terrifying and beautiful. The message that we must all find a way to coexist with nature or perish could not be stronger - yet is 'only' one more aspect of a fresh, warm, human tale of heroism, romance and soaring imagination.
I adore Miyazaki's movies but I think Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind is his masterpiece. These seven astonishing, wonderful volumes belong in every library. ( )
  othersam | Jul 22, 2013 |
Information from the Japanese Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0929279581, Paperback)

Hayao Miyazaki is probably best known in the West for his films; My Neighbor Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service are celebrated for their lavish animation and sophisticated treatment of their young heroes. But among his many fans in Japan, his epic manga tale, Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind, which Miyazaki later made into a animated movie, is often cited as his greatest work. Indeed, the Comics Journal once described the first volume as "the best graphic novel ever." Many critics favorably compare the story to such fantasy classics as C.S. Lewis's The Chronicles of Narnia or J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings.

In Nausicaä, as in most of his work, Miyazaki centers his narrative on a strong young woman who struggles to create peace in a world torn by war. Readers of Homer's The Odyssey will recall that Nausicaä is the name of the Phoenician princess who healed Odysseus when he washed up on her shores. Miyazaki took that character as the inspiration for his Princess Nausicaä, but their worlds could not be further apart. Underscoring the book's deep ecological messages, Miyazaki's Nausicaä is a passionate defender of the natural world, and her ability to commune with the creatures of the forest appears almost magical. As a princess, she is testing the waters of leadership as her father languishes on his deathbed. As a citizen of the Valley of Wind, she has mastered reading the shifting wind currents and air pockets as she navigates the skies in her glider.

Readers learn at the beginning of her tale that the Earth has become a hostile place. Environmental crises have made the forest--known as the Sea of Corruption--into a kingdom of spores and giant insects called Ohmu. The remaining humans huddle in the valleys and sheltered cities while holding on to the remnants of technologies long-since rendered mysterious. Now, the Imperial family has begun a massive campaign to extend its hold on the remaining pockets of civilization. However, intrigue between the reigning Princess Kushana and her brothers suddenly place Nausicaä and her people at the center of a civil conflict that could extinguish the last people on earth. With the grandeur of Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings and the grace of Miyazaki's Totoro, Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind is a classic of fantasy literature and one of the finest works ever in the comics medium. --Patrick O'Kelley

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:17 -0400)

Nausica?a, a gentle but strong-willed, young princess, has an empathic bond with the giant insects that evolved as a result of the ecosystem's destruction, as well as other animals. Growing up in the Valley of the Wind, she learned to read the soul of the wind and navigates the skies in her glider. Nausica?a and her allies struggle to create peace between empires battling over the last of the world's precious natural resources.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,450,529 books! | Top bar: Always visible