The Extra by Kathryn Lasky

The Extra (2013)

by Kathryn Lasky

Great book for the first 3/4ths, but then it all fell apart. ( )
  EmilyRokicki | Feb 26, 2016 |
Based on real events, this was an extraordinarily well-written story about a young Romani (gypsy) woman who is taken to a concentration camp with her family by the Nazis. She is chosen to work as an extra on a film that is in production with the support of the Third Reich. The author delves into the often overlooked topic of how the Nazis dealt with gypsies during WWII. It was quite difficult to keep reading at times due to the nature of the subject, however, it was a very compelling story with strong, lively characters that made me feel invested in the outcome. ( )
  TheMadHatters | Mar 23, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this book. I was somewhat familiar with Riefenstahl's photography, but this really brought her alive for me. I am now reading a biography about her. Not a nice person, a woman only out for her own good and the good of the Reich. I was very drawn into Lilo's story. I was intrigued by her character and her will to survive. When I first started reading this book I did not realize it was based on a true event, I skipped to the Author's Note at the back and gained some great insight into the story. This book is most assuredly for an older teen as some of the content would be to much for a younger one. For readers interested in Holocaust fiction, this is really an excellent read. ( )
  bnbookgirl | Jan 21, 2014 |

Good book-6th through 12th. Need some maturity level and understanding of World War II-in back there is some explanation of the film star and HItler's involevement and the real extra.
  jlight | Dec 8, 2013 |
Sometimes when a book fails, it fails from not from what it did do but what it didn’t. The Extra is one such book, failing in all the things it didn’t do, including meeting my excited expectations.

READ THE REST OF THE REVIEW AT: http://www.shaelit.com/2013/10/review-the-extra-by-kathryn-lasky/ ( )
  Shelver506 | Oct 28, 2013 |
For the victims of Nazi persecution, including the Romani people of eastern Europe
"Disappeared? What are you talking about? People just don't disappear. She just went someplace."

Is the chance to serve as an extra for Hitler’s favorite filmmaker a chance at life — or a detour on the path to inevitable extermination?

One ordinary afternoon, fifeen-year-old Lilo and her family are suddenly picked up by Hitler’s police and imprisoned as part of the "Gypsy plague." Just when it seems certain that they will be headed to a labor camp, Lilo is chosen by filmmaker Leni Riefenstahl to work as a film extra. Life on the film set is a bizarre alternate reality. The surroundings are glamorous, but Lilo and the other extras are barely fed, closely guarded, and kept in a locked barn when not on the movie set. And the beautiful, charming Riefenstahl is always present, answering the slightest provocation with malice, flaunting the power to assign prisoners to life or death. Lilo takes matters into her own hands, effecting an escape and running for her life. In this chilling but ultimately uplifting novel, Kathryn Lasky imagines the lives of the Gypsies who worked as extras for the real Nazi filmmaker Leni Riefenstahl, giving readers a story of survival unlike any other.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:33 -0400)

Is the chance to serve as an extra for Hitler's favorite filmmaker a chance at life -- or a detour on the path to inevitable extermination? In this chilling but ultimately uplifting novel, Kathryn Lasky imagines the lives of the Gypsies who worked as extras for the real Nazi filmmaker Leni Riefenstahl, giving readers a story of survival unlike any other.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,754,049 books! | Top bar: Always visible