Any Other Name by Emma Newman

Any Other Name

by Emma Newman

If Between Two Thorns left me wondering how much worse a world can get – from the perspective of a clever, independent, modern woman – then Any Other Name is a resounding answer of ‘a whole lot and then a bit more’.

I enjoyed this second book much more than the first as the characters (notably Cathy) have started to come into their own, but WOW it managed to find my rage triggers and give my rant mode a thorough work-out.

This isn’t a book I’d recommend as an entry point to the series. The Split Worlds are a single story in multiple volumes, not independent novels. However, as an instalment, this was gripping - I found it hard to put down and am looking forward to picking up the next to find out what on earth happens.

Full review. ( )
  imyril | Jul 30, 2016 |
Trigger warning: drugging and rape

Any Other Name is part two of the Split Worlds series. And you absolutely must have read the previous book, Between Two Thorns, first. This installment begins less than twenty-four hours after the end of the last book, and the plot is completely dependent on the last book. This series seems to function more as a single story cut into parts than a series of self-contained stories. Thus this review will be containing spoilers for the previous book.

Any Other Name moves the focus to Londinium as Will and Cathy begin married life. Will maneuvers to become the new Duke, and Max and the gargoyle investigate the Agency. After all, trouble’s afoot in London and it’s Nether mirror…

I still feel like I have very little idea what’s happening, particularly when it comes to Max and the Sorcerer. Not that there aren’t still questions involving Will and Cathy. Why such the focus on them specifically being married? Why does Lord Iris want Will to be Duke when other contenders are centuries old? So far this series has been giving more questions than answers.

My feelings about this book are difficult to pin down because there’s still so much in the air. A large part of how I feel about it depends on the resolution and future handling of some of the plot points. If they are farther explored, all will be relatively fine. If they’re left as is…. I will be very angry. As is I spent a lot of time angry in this book. Mostly during sections involving Will. I’ve pretty much given up on him at this point.

Feminism and women’s rights (or lack thereof) play a large role in this series, particularly when it comes to Cathy’s sections. However I think it’s worth noting that so far the Split Worlds series hasn’t had any intersectionality when it comes to its explorations of gender. Pretty much everyone with focus is straight, white and either upper or middle class. I’m hopeful that the next book might look into the class intersection some more via Miss Rainer and the Agency, but I’ll have to wait and see.

I’m interested in seeing where everything goes, so I’ll be heading into book three. There’s so much that intrigues me about the Split Worlds. What’s going on with the Agency? What about the Sorcerers? The whole subplot involving Sam’s wife? Onward to All Is Fair!

Originally posted on The Illustrate Page. ( )
  pwaites | Jul 4, 2016 |
Cathy has been forced into marriage with William Iris and has become embroiled in the war between the elflords Poppy and Iris. The intentions of the lords and the various families are beginning to wear and the rules are starting to become difficult to understand. The world they live in is so out of touch with the modern world and no-one seem so question things, not that Cathy can see. Will is shocked at how Cathy was treated by her family but he still longs for Amelia from the disgraced Alba Rosa family, and while Cathy is resisting him he's finding Amelia willing.

It's interesting and fun but left me with a lot of questions. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Dec 15, 2014 |
Originally posted at FanLit:

I didn??t enjoy Between Two Thorns, the first book in Emma Newmanƒ??s SPLIT WORLDS series because I didnƒ??t like the characters, felt a little lost in the world, and thought the plot was boring. However, at the end of that novel things started to improve and since I already had the second book, Any Other Name, loaded into my phone (Brilliance Audio sent me review copies), I listened to it.

Any Other Name picks up where the previous book ended (it is absolutely necessary to have read Between Two Thorns). Cathy is trying to adjust to her new (old, really) life as a young woman in the Nether but she doesnƒ??t really fit in because sheƒ??s not interested in all the old-fashioned female activities sheƒ??s supposed to be doing. She wants to get back to Mundanis where she can finish her schooling and become a lawyer who advocates for oppressed ... Read More: http://www.fantasyliterature.com/reviews/any-other-name/ ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
Any Other Name is Book #2 in the Split Worlds series by Emma Newman. When we reviewed Between Two Thorns, Book #1 in The Split Worlds, series, I was hooked big time on this concept of two worlds co-existing side by side in the midst of England’s bustling urban areas not to mention the characters. So needless to say, I was excited when I learned Any Other Name was being released so soon afterward. A link to the review of Between Two Thorns appears at the end of this review. If you’re a fantasy and or fae/fairy fan then this series is likely to appeal to you. One word of warning though: These are not sweet little flower fairies. These are the Fae you were warned about in old-school cautionary tales, and you forget it at your peril! Read the rest of my review at http://popcornreads.com/?p=6060. ( )
  PopcornReads | Jun 12, 2013 |
For the Alchemist
Sam knew it was a terrible idea, but once he realised he had to go back to Exilium his course was set.

"Cathy has been forced into an arranged marriage with William Iris -- a situation that comes with far more strings than even she could have anticipated, especially when she learns of his family's intentions for them both. Meanwhile, Max and the gargoyle investigate the Agency -- a mysterious organization that appears to play by its own twisted rules, none of them favourable to Society. And in Mundanus, Sam has discovered something very peculiar about his wife's employer -- something that could herald disaster for everyone on both sides of the Split Worlds"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,726,031 books! | Top bar: Always visible