The Right Side of Wrong: A Red River Mystery…

The Right Side of Wrong: A Red River Mystery (Red River Mysteries)

by Reavis Z. Wortham

Why, Mr. Wortham, I do believe you have hit your stride. I really believed in Book 1. I struggled with Book 2, for multiple reasons. But I was told to keep going,and I finally have. This one is a solid hit, the place and characters are coming alive! ( )
  sydsavvy | Sep 5, 2017 |
Reavis Wortham's Red River mystery series continues to solidify its position as one of my favorites. I'm torn between wanting to get caught up (I'm within one book of that goal) and wanting to save Vengeance Is Mine as one of my "go to books" in case I have a string of bad reading luck. Decisions, decisions!

In the mean time, I read The Right Side of Wrong much too quickly. I couldn't help myself. It has all the characters I've grown to love: Ned Parker, his wife Miss Becky, his grandson Top, his nephew Cody Parker, Deputy John Washington, and Judge O.C. Rains. An added bonus in this book is a new character, the mysterious Tom Bell, whom I immediately liked. For any of you already acquainted with this marvelous series, you will have noted that I didn't include Pepper in the group of characters I love. That little girl just plain annoys the stuffing out of me, and I wish Top would grow a spine and say no to her hare-brained schemes!

Wortham's Texas in the mid-1960s is pitch perfect as always. Growing up in a rural farm community as I did, he can put me right in the middle of a scene with just one well-chosen word. (The word this time was "bobwire." That's what folks where I grew up always called barbed wire.) Center Springs is a microcosm of our country during the '60s, and The Right Side of Wrong shows us the beginnings of a problem that haunts us to this day and its effects on a small community.

It also shows us how strong prejudice was then and that bigots still had the upper hand; however, we're also shown that the wall is beginning to crumble due to the behavior of people like the Parkers, Judge Rains, and John Washington.

Wortham knows how to write action scenes that will make your hands shake as you try to find a faster way to turn the pages. This time, our heroes travel across the Rio Grande into Mexico in an adventure so dangerous it curled my hair. Wow.

Now this time the Bad-Guy-in-Charge was rather easy for me to deduce, but as in all well-told tales, it's not always the who that makes the story, sometimes it's the how. Watching the judge and the Parkers figure out how to bring him down put a smile on my face.

Reavis Wortham can make you laugh. He can make you cry. He can make you remember your own childhood. He can also make you hunker down so deep inside a story that you don't want to come up for air. You can read these Red River mysteries as standalones and enjoy them, but I don't recommend taking that path. These characters are so wonderful that I strongly urge you to start at the beginning (The Rock Hole) because once you have, you won't want to miss a single chapter in their lives. Do you like Craig Johnson? Peter Bowen? C.J. Box? Donis Casey? William Kent Krueger's Ordinary Grace? If you do, chances are excellent that you'll like Reavis Wortham, too.

Now if I could only make myself stop staring at that lone Red River mystery sitting over there on that shelf.... ( )
  cathyskye | Apr 23, 2015 |

Cody Parker is ambushed and nearly killed on a lonely road during a heavy snowfall. Some menacing characters who brazenly face Ned down. A mysterious newcomer keeps showing up at all the right times. Two kids who catch trouble more often than average. A small Texas town in the 1960s is caught in the middle of a changing America turning from mostly innocent to beware of your neighbor.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 146420148X, Paperback)

Burrows ended as 1965 drew to a close with Constable Cody Parker’s frightening precognition of gathering storm clouds for the tight-knit Parker family from Center Springs, Texas. The dreams proved accurate. Cody is ambushed and nearly killed on a lonely country road during an unusually heavy snowfall. With that attack, the locals begin to worry that The Skinner, from The Rock Hole, has returned.

Constable Ned Parker struggles to connect a seemingly unrelated series of murders as his nephew recovers. As the summer of 1966 approaches, rock and roll evolves to reflect the increasing unrest in this country and the people of northeast Texas wonder why their once peaceful community has suddenly become a dangerous place to live.

Ned’s pre-teen grandchildren, Top and Pepper, are underfoot at every turn. The two lawmen, along with the deputy John Washington, cross paths with many colorful characters originally introduced in Wortham’s acclaimed Red River series: cranky old Judge O.C. Rains, the jittery little farmer Isaac Reader, and the Wilson boys Ty Cobb and Jimmy Foxx.

And then there’s the arrival of the mysterious old man named Tom Bell.

When Cody follows his main suspect across the Rio Grande and into Mexico, Ned understands that to save his nephew, he will have to cross more than a river, he will have to cross over to the Right Side of Wrong.

Humor, suspense, horror, precognition, and Life in the tumultuous 60s are examined with an unflinching eye by the author of the Red River series.

b. A short description of the book, not to exceed 50 words, typically distilled from the longer description. This information might be used in catalogues or promotional material.  Please be sure not to disclose too much.

In the spring of 1966, Constable Ned Parker tries to connect a string of seemingly unrelated murders in the small community of Center Springs, Texas. When Cody Parker tracks their main suspect into Mexico, Ned realizes he’ll have to cross over to the Right Side of Wrong to save him.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:22 -0400)

Struggling to connect a seemingly unrelated series of murders as the summer of 1966 approaches, Constable Ned Parker must save his nephew, Cody, who has followed their main suspect across the Rio Grande into Mexico.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,564,465 books! | Top bar: Always visible