Forsaken: The World of Nightwalkers by…

Forsaken: The World of Nightwalkers

by Jacquelyn Frank

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Frankly, I didn't like this book and will most likely not read any of the other World of Nightwalkers books. It starts out as a fantasy - "As a mercenary, Leo Alvarez has signed on for a lot -- but he never signed on for his best friend becoming host to the soul of an ancient Egyptian pharoah" - and rapidly devolves into a romance with all the obligatory verbage. I was extremely disappointed. ( )
  aumbre | Apr 30, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is completely written in the world of Adult Fantasy. I was doubtful when looking over the blurb, but once decided to treat it as a work not based in reality I started to enjoy it. The hero is three dimensional with plenty of faults as not to be a male Mary Sue. The female rocks your world on what you always pictured angels to be. The ancient Egyptian undertones will drag a history buff into the story line. I am not one to like hard core fantasy but this is reality based enough to keep you grounded. Plenty of surprises enough to allow it to be an interesting read. I realize that other characters starred in previous books but those characters need to continue to be interesting instead of flat. If you like to place yourself in the main character's shoes it may present a problem. ( )
  Bonpetitepoodle | Apr 28, 2014 |
I'm a big fan of the World of the Nightwalkers series, and this is another great installation. Leo is a human, a mercenary who had a very violent introduction to the various supernaturals living amongst the "normal" people. He was captured and tortured, saved only as a bargaining chip for an evil man who wanted to switch sides. Leo also found out his best friend and his friend's sister are both Bodywalkers, sharing their bodies with the souls of ancient Egyptians working to keep the world safe from their evil counterparts. When Leo's friend Jackson is seriously injured Leo must pair up with another type of supernatural, a dark angel named Faith, to save Jackson. Leo must get past his biases to both work with Faith and to decide to save the current version of his friend.

As hard as he tries, Leo has a very difficult time trusting any non-human. He wants to take care of Jackson out of a sense of obligation to their shared history then leave forever. Faith is ever patient, regardless of how poorly Jackson treats her, knowing he is battling serious demons of his own. Even her kindness, however, doesn't seem able to penetrate the deep hatred Leo harbors.

Leo's journey is an interesting one. He struggles, and takes a lot of mis-steps. He's cruel to the people who love him and pushes away anyone who could come to care. Somehow, though, instinct takes over when his friends are in trouble and he risks his life to save them.

Frank definitely seems to be setting things up to join her various series in an epic battle. I hope that comes to pass. It's always great revisiting old friends from series past. This book is recommended but you definitely need to read the books in order to get the best effect. ( )
  DVKov | Apr 16, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Leo is having a hard time dealing with the fact that his closed friends who he considers family are both turning into something he can't accept. His reluctant to accept Jackson and Docia as Bodywalkers is because he doesn't want them to get hurt. He, himself is hurt by a Bodywalker to the point where he thinks he would die but luckily he survives. Nevertheless he will always carries the scars that cover his body. He feels very distant from both Jackson and Docia but when Jackson was badly hurt during an attack, he vows to do anything to save Jackson.

A Night Angel, Faith offers to help save Jackson. At first Leo doesn't want help but he eventually agrees since Faith knows what's to do and he doesn't know much about the world of the Nightwalkers. So they set out on a dangerous mission and unexpectedly, Leo and Faith couldn't keep their feelings hidden despite their dislikes for each other.

I really liked this book. As I was reading, I could really get into the book even though I didn't read the two books before this one. And I wasn't lost as I thought I would be. I decided to request this book to review because I was very interested in what's the Bodywalkers are all about and I'm glad I did because I wasn't disappointed. With every page, I got into the story more and more. From beginning to end, Leo's story kept me interested. And of course him and Faith were so good with each other. When I read the parts where they were making love, the temperature in the room suddenly went up. I was glad I read it in the private of my home because I would be really embarrassed for my face was red the whole time.

Leo was set on killing the one who tortured him. He was full of hatred and anger but Faith changed him. Faith taught him forgiveness and love. They both thought they won't be able to love someone after what they had been through but again they found love. I loved reading about them together. Faith was so right for Leo because she always put him in place. She doesn't back down easily. I really loved that about her.

So I will recommend this book. The plot kept me interested and excited. The romance is just beautiful. Leo and Faith are awesome with each other. This book is slightly different from the first two books I guess because it's not about pharaohs but a man and what a fine man Leo was. So if you like the Nighwalkers series, you might want to check this one out, too. ( )
  Melody05 | Apr 6, 2014 |
Forsaken (The World of Nightwalkers #3) by Jacquelyn Frank
3 ½ of 5 stars

Leo Alvarez is having trouble coping with the fact that his best friend, Jackson, has become a host to a Bodywalker. He thrust into the supernatural world not trusting any of them. Jackson is attacked by a demon god leaving him on the brink of death. With the help of the Night Angel, Faith, Leo sets out on a quest to save Jackson’s life.

Forsaken is a fast-paced story with an interesting plot.

The characters are fascinating and well developed. Jacquelyn Frank does an excellent job expressing the characters' emotions and thoughts. I really enjoyed Leo and Faith’s relationship. Through knowing Faith, Leo begins to mentally heal from his torture by the Templar in the previous book; thus, trusting his best friend again.

Forsaken is a great book for lovers of paranormal and fantasy. I’m interested in seeing what else will happen in The World of Nightwalkers.

ARC provided by publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  dlynch | Mar 12, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345534913, Mass Market Paperback)

New York Times bestselling author Jacquelyn Frank continues her scorching and sensual new series set in the world of the Nightwalkers, where alluring entities known as Bodywalkers are the vanguards against the raging forces of darkness.

As a mercenary, Leo Alvarez has signed on for a lot—but he never signed on for his best friend becoming host to the soul of an ancient Egyptian pharaoh. Jackson is now inhabited by a Bodywalker, and Leo is forced to grapple with a realm of supernatural beings far more dangerous than anything he’s ever encountered.

But when Jackson is wounded by an attack from a demon god, Leo must team up with another supernatural creature—a Night Angel—to save his friend from utter destruction. With skin as black as midnight, hair as white as snow, and a body of pure perfection, the Night Angel arouses a burning desire in Leo, even as he refuses to be intimidated by her power—or the power of those who would destroy his friend. An unusual alliance is forged, electrified by sexual temptation, and together the two must unite their strengths to bring down a supreme evil.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:14 -0400)

When two enemies--one old and one new--join forces, the Bodywalkers face the ultimate threat, and two Bodywalkers must confront the attraction and desire that binds them together while saving their people and the mission.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jacquelyn Frank's book Forsaken was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,564,580 books! | Top bar: Always visible