Blood and Sand by Elizabeth Hunter

Blood and Sand

by Elizabeth Hunter

Series: Elemental World (3)

4.5/5
Every time I read Elizabeth's book, I know I'm in for a treat. She skillfully combines elements of paranormal romance with an action-driven, intricate urban fantasy plot. Her male characters despite their supernatural strengths don't behave like uber macho cavemen, making asses of themselves in the eyes of the women they love and want to protect, and her women are never TSTL (too stupid to live)... So I can actually relax and enjoy the book without getting riled up every 5 minutes. *grinning*

Baojia for me became one of the most intriguing male heroes of Elemental World, and I waited for his story with baited breath. He was enigmatic, sleek, ruthless and at the same time vulnerable.

Natalie is a quintessential Luis Lane, - she has guts and perseverance in pursuing the story which she believes will bring justice to murdered women. She is strong-willed, but at the same time she has a healthy dose of fear of vampires and their powers.

Those two clicked really well as a couple and their investigation served the continuation of the plot that goes through all Hunter's books - the hunt for Elixir.

I was overjoyed to see Beatrice and Gio again, and also Corwyn with his young partner Brigid, Tenzin and Ben - they made an absolutely cracking team and as usual added an elegant solution to Baojia and Natalie's problems.

I was also relieved to see that Elizabeth avoided the problem of repetition which I complained about after reading Building From Ashes. There was none of it here.

Overall, a really enjoyable, entertaining and fast-paced read. I think that far into Elizabeth Hunter's writing I shouldn't even bother to recommend this, because if you a fan of the author it will be on your automatic buy, but if you haven't read any of her books yet, you should definitely start with Hidden Fire. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
Blood and Sand by Elizabeth Hunter
(Book #2: Elemental World series)
Source: Author/ARC for a fair and honest review
Rating: 5/5 stars

One word: Ireadthisintwosittingsandcan’tcrappin’believehowdamngoodthisbookis! Seriously, that’s just one word and every bit of it is true :) Yet again, Elizabeth Hunter comes out swinging and delivers yet another fantastic Elemental World read.

Here’s the skinny: Baojia is still stuck in San Diego continuing to serve out the “sentence” meted out by his “father” Don Ernesto Alvaraz for “allowing” Beatrice de Novo (Don Ernesto’s great grand-daughter and Gio’s wife) to be hurt. To say Baojia’s skills are being wasted doesn’t even come close and he is bored with life in oblivion. In fact, the days (or rather nights ) have gotten so mind-numbingly boring that Baojia is considering taking his life in his hands and presenting himself to Don Ernesto to ask for a reduced sentence. Lucky for Baojia, the boredom is about to be lifted and the sweet release comes in the form of a saucy and sexy little redhead by the name of Natalie Ellis.

Here’s the skinny: Natalie Ellis is a no-nonsense kind of girl with a rabid need for the truth and very little sense of self-preservation. Natalie is an investigative reporter and once she has her sights set on a story there is nothing that is going to stop her from uncovering and reporting the truth. The night she walks into Baojia’s club and starts asking questions alters the course of not only Natalie’s life but that of Baojia’s as well.

Here’s the skinny: There are girls dying in the desert at an alarming rate and no one seems to know how they died or who is leaving the victims. Typical of Natalie, she begins poking around and asking questions that will get her answers just as fast as they will get her dead. In order to protect Natalie, Baojia takes her under his personal protection and makes his way to Don Ernesto to discuss the little murder by vampire problem they seem to be having in their territory. All kinds of hell breaks loose and Baojia and Natalie find themselves in the middle of a vampire shit-storm they are hoping can be calmed before they end up dead.

As with all of Elizabeth Hunter’s books, I fell into Blood and Sand like I fall into step with my husband of fifteen years. Everything is comfortable, interesting, suspenseful, a bit naughty, and just flat-out good! Natalie is smart, funny and like a dog with a bone where her need for answers is concerned while Baojia is tall, dark, fangy, and hot and only interested in keeping the fiery redhead safe and by his side! Along with these two are some old friends including Gio and B, Dez and Matt, Carwyn and Brigid and, Ben and Tenzin. Have I mentioned how much I LOVE TENZIN??? These characters are like old friends for me and I am so glad to see how large a role they are playing in the expanded version of Hunter’s Elemental World. Furthermore, not only does Blood and Sand have its own specific plot but its plot ties into the larger series plot about Elixir and how the drug is destroying both humans and vampires. Everything comes together flawlessly for a fast-paced, can’t put this book down read!

The Bottom Line: I have no idea (nor do I care to know!) how Elizabeth Hunter works her magic but with every new book I am completely taken in and consumed by what she has written. Blood and Sand hits all the pertinent points for me: interesting short-term plot (check); the long-term plot line is advanced (check); solid, dependable, familiar and fun characters whom I love (check) and; excellent, witty and fun dialogue which carries the story (check). I know I am gushing but this is a series and author I am passionate about and highly, highly recommend this book (and every other Elemental book by Hunter) to all fans of the paranormal, mystery, suspense and romance. It’s all here for every NA+ reader. ( )
  arthistorychick | May 28, 2013 |

Elizabeth Hunterprimary authorall editionscalculated
Pearlman, DinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,980,832 books! | Top bar: Always visible