Unspoken by Dee Henderson

Unspoken

by Dee Henderson

Closer to 2.5
Based on the blurb, I assumed Unspoken would hold more suspense and more in relation to the kidnapping of Charlotte; however, it was more about the budding friendship/relationship between her and Bryce. I never felt a connection to any of the characters, especially since we never really get to see what Charlotte is feeling and thinking. I suppose that was to add to the mystery surrounding who she is and the details of the kidnapping, but for me, it just made it difficult to relate to her. The first half of the book spoke heavily about coins (the reason for their initial meeting) and barely touched at all on what happened to Charlotte years a go. There is a "twist" but it is fairly easy to figure out and I found it predictable based off of the information given throughout the novel. I also found many similarities between this book and Henderson's other book, Danger in the Shadows, which made the story seem less original. ( )
  Kristymk18 | Nov 12, 2015 |
Other than too much focus on coins it was a good read. The pacing didn't effectively build the mystery in my opinion but the ending was satisfying. ( )
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
Brilliant. the best book I've read for a while. So well written with many threads but they all make sense and come together. I like the hints of other books too. Romance but not slushy or unrealistic. Answers real faith/doubt questions ( )
  Aliballyb | Jul 22, 2014 |
I loved her past series.

This one not so much. I felt the details of coins was way way over the top and then the little details that I wanted to know, all the wedding presents Bryce gave Charlotte, what flavor of ice cream they would get, was overlooked.

And the Money?! Really? I like to read books out of my life's reach but.....

Charlotte picks Bryce to sell her grandfather's coin collection to. The book evolves as Bryce gets to know Charlotte and her story.

There are some great moments in this book but is it enough to overcome the details on the coins. ( )
  jnut1 | Mar 4, 2014 |
Dee Henderson has long been a favorite author among the members of my book club, By The Book. We last selected Full Disclosure for discussion. It was somewhat of a departure from her previous works and had mixed reviews across the blogosphere. But my group liked it, so we were not hesitant to choose Unspoken for our February discussion. Except for a few ehs due mostly to the descriptions of coins, Unspoken was well received.

The plot of Unspoken revolves around the relationship between Charlotte Graham, a kidnapping victim turned multi-millionaire and Bryce Bishop, a rare coin dealer. Charlotte approaches Bryce to sell the vast coin collection inherited from her grandfather. Intrigued by Charlotte, Bryce wants to get to know her better and perhaps get behind the barriers she has erected to protect herself from further hurt.

Unspoken does contain a plot thread filled with suspense, but it is the complex relationship between Charlotte and Bryce that kept me reading. Charlotte is deeply wounded, yet determined to live her life on her own terms. She is a believer, but doesn’t really trust God. Bryce lives a life of quiet, yet firm faith. His life models Christ’s love. Charlotte slowly comes to trust Bryce and, in turn, God. I especially liked Henderson’s depiction of Bryce’s prayer life — something more than one of our members commented on. As in Full Disclosure, Henderson gives us a difficult female character and a strong, yet gentle and devoted male character who is consistent and determined to woo her. Bryce is a powerful picture of God’s love for us — never-failing, unrelenting and unconditional.

I really liked Unspoken and believe it is the best book yet written by Dee Henderson. I am eagerly awaiting her next book, Undetected, due out in April, featuring Bryce’s brother, Mark Bishop.

Highly Recommended.

(Thanks to Bethany House and NetGalley for a review copy. The opinions expressed are mine alone.) ( )
  vintagebeckie | Feb 24, 2014 |
Prologue

I never talked about what happened.

"Charlotte Graham's never spoken about her kidnapping. Sixteen years later, she's back in Chicago and she is the only one who knows the truth. But, even now, can she risk sharing it?"--

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Dee Henderson's book Unspoken was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Bethany House

2 editions of this book were published by Bethany House.

Editions: 0764211714, 0764211846

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,724,952 books! | Top bar: Always visible