Scepter by Scott L. Collins

A group of plausibly skilled children who've been gifted by an illness called witch's breath that sometimes grants its survivors special powers, decide to fight back against the usurper to the throne who rules their kingdom. Dragons, unicorns and fairies are seamlessly integrated into the landscape. The characters are well-developed and interesting. There's plenty of action, and this was a very fun, easy read. Can't wait for more! :) ( )
  WingedWolf | Aug 13, 2016 |
How far would you go to save your older brother? That’s a question Aidan has to answer when his brother, Daniel, turns 14 and is now the target of Argyle and his evil henchmen. Scott Collins takes us on a fanciful journey as two brothers use their special abilities to escape the dark ruler, but also end up fighting for the other children being stolen and taken as slaves into the mines. Along the way, they team up with sisters Olivia and Lily, who have talents of their own. This is a delightful tale, and I really enjoyed the characters and the adventures that the four children encountered. So much, that I’ve bought the second book in the series.

Out of the two brothers, I liked Aidan’s character the best. He’s quick tempered and impulsive, but he has a heart of gold. I also love his special ability, and I’m sure most children would love to be him. Aidan knows it’s up to them to save their world and repair the Scepter. I can’t wait to see what troubles they get into next.

My onlyu complaint about the tale, also expressed by other reviewers, is all the depicting of everyday life, IE eating, cooking, fetching water. It does get quite tedious and cuts back on the pace of the story. But I know Scott is rewriting the story, so hopefully, he’ll get this issue resolved.

If you love YA books with adventure and magical creatures, you’ll enjoy this tale. I highly recommend it and give it 4 feathers. ( )
  saharafoley | Jun 15, 2016 |
A great read. The special abilities of the characters are interesting and well thought out, and the world generally has some novel ideas. The main characters all feel real and I quickly found myself caring about them. The story is well written and I can't wait to find out what happens next. Highly recommended. ( )
  Simon_Goodson | Feb 6, 2015 |
An adventure sprinkled with fantasy and fun every child, teen and young adult will love. What am I saying, I am an older adult and I really liked it.

Getting near the end I wondered how Scott was going to end it so quickly, unless of course it had a sequel. Yup, that is what's going to happen because the next adventure must commence especially since this one wasn't really a finale. It certainly reached a summit, but there is a realization when reading the story that a whole lot of things can happen in the end, and of course while getting there.

Creating a story of characters that are already friends is one thing, but bringing in strangers to become friends and weaving their lives together can be a task. Scott does that with a charm and detail that brings them to life. You enjoy meeting them, and really enjoy joining them on their journey. You wonder, revel and sympathize with their situations, thoughts and emotions. Turning the pages to find out what happens next is the only thing you can do. Unless of course it becomes a movie, then you can watch that too, which is really what you see in your mind as you read this book. Honestly traveling with these characters was fun and exciting.

This book is one of the reasons I really love to read fantasy. You can create anything you want and the readers will gobble it up asking for more. The story can weave, dodge or jump with something new, and well written stories keep you seated easily adapting to the change. The story marches forward and you are steadily beating the drum stomping forth for more.

One of the things I hate with some books is beginnings that drone on trying to set the stage for the storyline or characters. This book's beginning set the stage if you will, but you really didn't realize it until further into the story. Then you had your ah ha moment that tied it up with a bow. And then realizing what was going to have to happen still didn't dampen the enthusiasm of the story. That's due to not only the story, but how it was written. The moving forward never stopped or slowed down; it just flowed like a river over an obstacle course as you thought about what pool it would settle in.

Scott created a story of two brothers and then two sisters and then two more brothers who become not just friends but comrades, allies and fighters for not only themselves and their families, but strangers and creatures alike. Their special gifts allow them the abilities needed to help and succeed whether others felt no hope. Their greatest gift to others was not the fighting they did, but the hope and love they offered.

Get this book for your children, nieces, nephews, grandchildren and strangers. They will love the characters and truly enjoy the tale. ( )
  colleenmbratley | Nov 3, 2013 |

Daniel and Aidan live apart from the others of the kingdom of Castiglias. They have only each other for company as their family was taken to be slaves for the kindgom. When King Argyle's men come to take his brother, Aidan uses his powers to fight them off and save his brother from slavery. What begins as a fight to save one boy and then disappear, becomes a battle against the evil forces, a war that may affect the lives of many children waiting to be taken, and the existence of the kingdom itself.… (more)

Scott L. Collins is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,448,622 books! | Top bar: Always visible