Sworn To Raise by Terah Edun

Sworn To Raise (2013)

by Terah Edun

1195101,247 (3.72)1

Sworn to Raise is a fantasy novel centered around Ciardis - a poor, orphaned, teenage girl who grew up in a rural land. A caravan travels to her town one day, and she meets someone who offers her the opportunity to change her circumstances. She accepts, and the adventure begins.

I was drawn to this story for the fantasy and mage aspects. I liked the differentiation between certain types of mages as opposed to everyone having the same types of abilities. The protagonist's magical ability is magnifying the power of other mages. I kind of questioned how that would play out, as at first glance it seemed a little lackluster for a power. But it worked very well, as Ciardis could basically reap the enhanced benefits of any mage she came in contact with.

I thought the author did a good job with world-building and imagery. I liked that the characters were flawed and multi-dimensional. I plan to continue the series and look forward to what it brings. *crosses fingers* Especially if that something is puberty hitting the prince full-blast. =D ( )
  EmberShane | Apr 7, 2015 |
There are those books that you just love to hate. You quote them, you have fun mocking the book, et cetera. And there are those books that blow you off your feet from the incomprehensible amount of beauty, minimal flaws, and the most perfectly written characters.

And then there are books like Sworn to Raise.

You don't hate them, you don't love them, and they don't really affect your life in any way. You're kind of indifferent to everything that occurs and could care less about any of the characters. You notice the countless flaws, but couldn't be bothered enough to actually list all of them.

Usually, this "meh" feeling is a sigh of amateur writing and under-developed characters. Needless to say, when readers feel this way towards a book, that is a BAAAAAD sign.

From the moment I began reading this, the writing clearly needed work. There were run-on sentences, sentences that made little sense, and sentences that completely ignored the rules of grammar. It was painful to read, to say the least.

AND THE MISPLACED COMMAS OH GOD.

Trudging through this book, I noticed that it lacked the given fundamentals that a reader expects. The plot went all over the place, there was no cohesiveness, and plenty of times I found myself scratching my head out of confusion. The conversations flowed unnaturally. To be put bluntly, it was all very awkward.

I could go on and on about the numerous problems with this book, (ex: why did she willingly travel with an unknown stranger? Where was the world-building?) but, I don’t believe this series has much hope. It needs a lot more improvement, and by a lot, I mean A LOT. Just read this sentence and you be the judge.

"Inch by inch, it withdrew from the core of his magic like a parasitic water worm being withdrawn from a swollen sore."

....

But only a few

Interesting read
Not very recommended
Was not bad, nor great

Well, this was a hard review to write! I didn't feel strongly one way or the other with this book. The ideas and setting were good, but I did not like Ciardis. I know some will though, and I am sure others will find it enjoyable.

The book tells us Ciardis is strong, and sometimes she is. (I do like it when she is feisty!) But not all the time. She cries at a little bullying, nearly in front of the bully! Not a good idea, she should have known that. Other times she is unreasonable. And her dialogue felt incredibly forced. Her personality kind of bounces, with no depth.

As I said in my attempt of a poem, the world and magic was great. The ending was epic too! I loved the setting! Just not my type of characters. And for me, characters are the key to what books I like and don't. Anyone agree with me?

3/5 bookcases
I liked it, kinda. But I won't read it again. I am glad I read it though! For fantasy lovers, I would say give this a try! If you are already reluctant to read the genre, though, I wouldn't,

*I received this book in exchange for an honest review*

Check out my blog! Counting in Bookcases ( )
  Emily_Anne | Mar 16, 2014 |
Sworn to Raise (Courtlight #1) by Terah Edun

Seventeen-year-old orphan Ciardis Vane has been offered an opportunity of a life time, to train for the Companion’s Guild. She discovers there is more to her heritage then she believed and discovers she has a magical skill that will be highly sought after.

Terah Edun created a marvelous world in the Courtlight series. This entertaining story is face paced and action packed. Terah does an excellent job in developing Ciardis’ character, turning her into an admirable heroine.

Sworn To Rise is an entertaining Fantasy Novel with a unique spin. I look forward to reading the second book of the series, Sworn To Transfer, which was released on September 17, 2013.

ARC provided by publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  dlynch | Sep 20, 2013 |
A nice new YA fantasy book. Just like her other series, Edun mixes magic, adventure, and beautiful world-building with strong characters and twists and turns. I can't wait to read the next one and find out what happens next. The author really pulls you in!

Net Galley Feedback
[book:Sworn to Raise|16061083]
[author:Terah Edun|6517970] ( )
  LibStaff2 | Apr 21, 2013 |
Ciardis Vane watched the townspeople jeering as the local Gardis strapped the highwayman into the stocks.

Amidst scandalous whispers, Ciardis finds herself chosen to train for the Companions Guild. She leaves her home and sets off on a personal journey to become a Court Companion. A position she'd never thought possible for a lowly servant to obtain, she must prove that she has the skills to attract a Patron.

This sensational series debut melds intricate storylines with remarkable characters and unforgettable magic. Sworn To Raise is ideal for fans of Kristin Cashore, Michelle Sagara, and Maria Snyder.

[retrieved 9/3/2014 from Amazon.com]

Seventeen-year-old Ciardis has grown up in poverty, a cleaner in a small vale on the outskirts of the empire. But beneath her empire's seemingly idyllic surface lies a hidden secret. Whispers of an inept crown Prince are growing ever louder--intensified by the five year anniversary of the soulbond initiations. But she must master those skills quickly. If the legends are true, only Ciardis can harness the power to raise a Prince in an Imperial Court sworn to bring him down.… (more)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Terah Edun's book Sworn To Raise was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Terah Edun is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,366,598 books! | Top bar: Always visible