Fifteen Minutes: A Novel by Karen Kingsbury

Fifteen Minutes: A Novel

by Karen Kingsbury

219753,142 (3.25)1

Karen Kingsbury has a gift of making her stories seem so very real! Although it took me awhile to really get into this story, by the end I couldn't put it down until I finished. It seemed very true to life and made me look differently at all the shows out there like 'American Idol', and the impact it can have on the people who are trying to make it in the music industry. Can reality TV and a person's faith in the Lord Jesus Christ truly ever work together??

Zack Dylan and his college sweetheart work on a horse farm in Kentucky. Zack signs up to compete on a popular reality television show 'Fifteen Minutes'. He won't let the fame change him, if he wins, but will use his fame as a platform to share the message of Christ (or so he thinks). Overnight, literally, his fame and popularity will quickly change and all of Zack's great plans if he wins, are slowly taking a back seat to his quest to be the best performer he can be.

Reese Weatherly, a therapeutic horse instructor, loves Zack with all her heart and doesn't feel comfortable with his going on 'Fifteen Minutes', but stands by him none the less and encourages him whenever she can. But the things she starts to see and read about Zack, and his new "girlfriend", cause her to re-evaluate their relationship.

This is not a happy ever after story, but shows an inside look at what fame can do to a person. The judges on this show are also part of this story, of how their lives where affected by fame also. My heart breaks to see how easy it is for people to get caught up in the glitter and forget about their God. A story I would gladly give out to young people today who even think about becoming a "star" for Jesus. Well done Karen Kingsbury!! ( )
  judyg54 | Jun 23, 2017 |
I made a mistake with this book, but scan/read it anyway. A heavy handed Christian message book about a contestant on "15 Minutes", an American Idol type show in which the judges and the competitor who has the talent to win it all realize that he has lost his faith and old fashioned stay at home on the farm values and is therefore thankful when the audience votes him off - of course in part because he has sung a song about drinking which is out of character. Only for the very religious. ( )
  CarterPJ | Jan 19, 2014 |
I seen this book a lot through the web the last couple of weeks. I knew I wanted to get my hands on it when I saw it sitting on the New Release stand at the library, I am so glad I did! This book was good. I am so glad I got to read it. Fifteen Minutes was different from my normal reads, but most of the books I read come from my inner-self of give that book a shot.
Zack Dylan knows he wants to sing, and save his farm. He heads off to Atlanta to audition of Fifteen Minutes. Constantly Zack is reminding himself, and others that he won’t let the spotlight get to him and that he will shine for God. However, Zack is blinded I guess.
Zack gets warned about a lot of things, but it is like he doesn’t want to hear it, or doesn’t want to see the truth, but yet he prayed for God to show him.
There was a lot to this book that made me want to stop reading it. A lot of things was predictable. The book is like reading about American Idol, or The Voice transcript. Of course, most common sense people would know that TV shows are staged, and they make things happen. I did enjoy the read, but it wasn’t one of the best reads. Would I read it again? Probably not. Would I recommend it to someone? I dunno, I guess it all depended on the person I was talking to. Would I try the author again? Absolutely.

“Well…” His grandpa was quiet. “The situation with AJ isn’t an emergency.” He hesitated. “Whatever God tells you… just do that, son.”
Tension tightened its grip on Zack’s soul. “I’m trying. He keeps moving me on to the next round.”
“Sometimes God’s voice is hard to hear over the world”
“Yes.” The city was louder now. Zack had to yell to be heard. The noise drove home his grandpa’s point. “Thank you. For reminding me.” ~pg. 233 ( )
  wjbooks | Jan 13, 2014 |
Pretty predictable read....I love Karen's books, but now they all seem to be the same. Ok for a fast read ( )
  onionprincess | Nov 22, 2013 |
How do you handle your faith if it clashes with your ambition, or for that matter, if your ambition clashes with your faith? New York Times bestselling author Karen Kingsbury seems to be posing this big question in her latest offering Fifteen Minutes, which takes a hard look at pop culture and its inherent physical and spiritual perils.

Zach Dylan is a young man with many loves in his life: his Christian faith, his family, his girlfriend Reese, his farm, his horses, and country music. He's leading a happy life until a financial crisis looms threatening the foreclosure of a family farm. And to add to the family's worry is a sister with Down Syndromes who needs constant medical care. Zack wants to help but there was so little he could do.

When the opportunity to audition for the popular television show Fifteen Minutes came, Zack, a talented singer with the voice and looks of a young Elvis believes that it will solve all his problems. His grandfather tried to dissuade him but in vain. His girlfriend Reese Weatherly initially was apprehensive but believes that Zack stands a good chance of winning and supported him wholeheartedly.

Before leaving home Zack promises Reese nothing would ever change and he will be staying true to her and his faith. Soon Zack became an overnight sensation. During the early days Zack keeps on talking about his family, Reese and his faith but soon he was forced to compromise and the values he cherished so much for so long were sacrificed at the altar of his misplaced priorities. When Fifteen Minutes airs its opening episode that shows Zack and a female contestant Zoey Davis in a dark hallway and kissing - and the media labeling them Romeo and Juliet, a shell-shocked Reese knew it was time to make hard choices.

Chandra Olson and Kelly Morgan are two of the judges in the show. Watching Zack's life spiraling out of control, they are determined not to let him walk the path they had walked, which cost them both dearly. But how will they convince Zack to avoid the traps they fell into? Can Zack reclaim his past, his faith, his family, his values and his Reese or has he gone too far for the damages to be repaired?

Though the ending is a bit of a surprise, it is an appropriate finish to a story that many readers will love to read over and over again. Fifteen Minutes by Karen Kingsbury is a warning that there is a price to be paid for everything while calling on every one to stay true to their values. It is a fascinating contemporary fiction that will leave fans clamoring for more! ( )
  khamneithang | Nov 6, 2013 |

Just as Zack Dylan on the verge of winning it all on the popular TV show Fifteen Minutes, his choices lead him to the brink of personal disaster. Meanwhile, a former Fifteen Minutes winner is searching for meaning amidst her own private losses. Can she warn Zack about the real price of fame? Or will Zack lose everything he loves for his fifteen minutes of glory?… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,074,412 books! | Top bar: Always visible