True Spies by Shana Galen

With ‘True Spies’ Ms. Galen continues her Lord and Lady Spy series that I really loved.

The character of Elinor was so well-developed that I could feel her emotions as she’s torn about her feelings toward her husband who it seems that he doesn’t care for her.
I found it very hard to like the hero. It took me more that half the book to start warming up to the guy!
His affection for Elinor wasn’t in evidence as much as was his love for his work and that bothered me all through the read.

‘True Spies’ is a romance between two mature people with children, obligations and a life that has forced both characters to take stock of themselves and their future.

Shana Galen does it again and gives us fast paced, adventure filled, well written romance about a couple trying to rediscover each other all over again. I’ve come to love the dialogue this author created.

It’s sharp, witty, clever, mature and never fails to touch my heart or tickle my funny bone. It’s brilliant!
I swear I can recommend it on dialogue alone, but I must say she plotted this one well too, so if you like a good, solid plot, than you just have to get it.

Melanie for b2b ( )
  bookworm2bookworm | Mar 30, 2017 |
I tried my best not to think of True Lies while reading this book, I mean who wants to see that when reading about Baron? Yes not me.

I liked the fact that they had been married for ages. Winslow was always away (cos he was a spy and she did not know) and Elinor grew tired of being stood up. Their marriage was not a loving happy one. She had been forgotten, and it had never been a love match. Now how can it go wrong with a premise like that?

I did feel sorry for Elinor, but then again, those were the days. Maybe she should not go and try to be involved in an affair to spice things up. Winslow could have cast her out and she would never have seen the kids again.

And Winslow, really, spend some time with your kids and wife. You are both idiots in the end.

But the book is not gonna end like that. Winslow has started to think his wife is hot. She is not gonna forgive him that easily and if you have seen True Lies you know where this is gonna go. There will be danger and spy games for both of them.

But I was not that happy about a certain thing at the end...can't tell you why. But it was irresponsible.

Spies, danger and romance between two people who have been married a long time, but not been in love.( ( )
  blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |
The romance novel equivalent of a summer action movie. Galen does a good job with the "married couple falls in love with each other again" trope, and the spy storyline was great fun (though I wouldn't examine it too closely, but for this kind of story, it doesn't need to be real-world plausible), with enough actual danger and possibility of failure to keep my interest. I adore Elinor, and I can find plenty to admire about Winn; I also enjoyed the characters of Saint, Wolf, and Blue.

Spoiler comment:

I'm not entirely satisfied with the loose ends at the close of the book; it makes me too concerned for Elinor and Winn's safety after the end of the story to really relax into their HEA. (Yes, I'm sure there are going to be sequels and that eventually things will get wrapped up, but this is *this* book.) Overall, though, the read was worth my time. ( )
  castiron | Mar 29, 2014 |
Shana Galen does not disappoint with this one. I love that even though the h/H were married with children this was still a romance where the characters fell in love. I've read quite a few of Galen's books and this might be my favorite one so far. There was love, excitement and plenty of danger in this second book of the series though it can be read as a stand alone. I'm looking forward to reading about this mysterious new agent and hopefully many more books to come. ( )
  amdrane2 | Sep 21, 2013 |
TRUE SPIES by Shana Galen is another exciting Regency Historical Romance by this author set in England. #2 in the "Lord and Lady Spy" series, but can be read as a stand alone. See, "Lord and Lady Spy". This is Lady Elinor and Baron Winslow Keating's story,spy for the Barbican Group and his last mission. Written with just the right amount of passion,intrigue,and espionage. Once again, Ms. Galen has thrilled her readers with a love story that is not only filled with secrets, deception,but with dangerous intrigue and sexy romance. A wonderful read! Can't wait to see what's next for this talented author. Received for an honest review from the publisher.

RATING: 4

HEAT RATING: MILD

REVIEWED BY: AprilR, Review courtesy of My Book Addiction and More ( )
  MyBookAddiction | Sep 20, 2013 |

He's Getting Tired of Deception...

She Wants to Try a Little Intrigue...

Lady Elinor has had enough of domestic boredom. She contemplates an affair with a rakish spy, only to discover a world of intrigue and treachery that she never knew existed. Even more shocking, her neglectful husband is suddenly very attentive—quite the jealous type—and apparently there is much more to him than she ever knew...

Baron Winslow Keating is honor-bound to finish one last mission as an elite spy for the Barbican group even though he just wants to go home and be with his family. But after years of secrecy and absence, his daughters hardly know him and his wife has given up on him.… (more)

Shana Galen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,900,869 books! | Top bar: Always visible