The Dream by Isaac Hooke

Forever Gate part one by Isaac Hooke is a very creative sci-fi novel that is not truly a full novel but it ends as some of the novel I have read claiming to be full novels have ended. This is a part novel but ends pretty good. I will read the next one but even if I didn't, the first was interesting enough to be fulfilling. The book is short, but a lot happens in such a short time. Lots of action, emotion, plenty of imagination, suspense, great dialogue interaction. Characters are well developed, great plot so far, and intriguing anticipation of what is to come. I really liked it. ( )
  MontzaleeW | Mar 1, 2016 |
This sci-fi fantasy is part one of a series that offers an interesting world of magic and intrigue in a fantastical, if a bit strange, future world. Part One sets up a storyline that promises an epic plot. But this particular episode doesn't quite make it as a complete stand-alone, imo. Plus, it takes a bit of effort to get into - for instance, a lot of the background context and world-setting, as well as the relationship between the main characters and the origin of their plight, remains unexplained by the story's end.

A patient reader will likely discover the answers to these issues as he/she progresses through the episodes, and, indeed, for many sci-fi fantasy fans there is enough here to hook them into reading more. For others who want answers and their plots served up fast and furious, this story might be bit of a let down, I suspect. The writing is solid, though, and enough details reveal themselves as the story unfolds that I found myself interested enough (even if the ending to this episode wasn't quite what I was hoping for) to discover what happens next. ( )
  ResAliens | Feb 5, 2014 |
This short story, the first part of a longer ongoing work, successfully blends medieval level protagonists with the fringes of a more advanced society without creating either absurdity or comedy.

With the surface of their world wrapped in ice, humans lives inside walled cities created by the Gols, a race from beyond the Forever Gate. The Gols provide and maintain the cities, the portals linking them, and every necessity of life. In exchange humanity must submit to wearing brass collars to suppress the electrokinesis that they develop in adulthood. But now the Gols are starting to make mistakes. Seeking only to protect a loved one, Hoodwink is drawn into a plot to remove the flawed masters of the cities.

Despite being only the beginning of the plot rather than a whole book in its own right, this work has great depth. Hoodwink’s world is introduced and explained with great skill leaving both the majority of the work for the story itself and space for a good description of the world beyond the Forever Gate.

The character’s are similarly impressively detailed. Hoodwink himself is an engaging character from almost the first sentence and continues to expand as the work continues. The supporting characters receive less description, but it is carefully chosen: unlike many fantasy stories there are no paragraphs which exist to show differences between the world and mediaeval Europe except where the difference is also key to the character.

The style reminded me of the clarity of Zen painting, a few key strokes which do not need to fill in the spaces. Not unexpectedly this distillation of people and worlds into their essentials does not always provide a perfect picture: there were a few points where I needed to pause briefly to consider what had not been said. I suspect that it could become frustrating to readers who do not enjoy teasing out slivers of explanation to weave into theories about the greater picture.

As the first part of a longer work it does not bring the main arc to a close; in fact I found the ending quite abrupt. However there are several complete minor arcs and Hoodwink’s arc from recipient to active participant is brought to a very satisfying point.

Overall I found the sound technique and engaging plot of this book more than made up for the irritation of it stopping in the middle of the main arc, making this is one of the better part-works I have read.

I received a free copy of this book. ( )
  Tyrshundr | Feb 5, 2014 |
This episode of a large sci fI/fantasy world has the glimmer and daring to be good and maybe great. The world building is creative and not much is revealed right away leading the readers imagination questioning things such as what's a gol? Or what really is the forever gate?

My only problem is that the episodes were split up and you would think that with each episode you'd have enough suspense to carry over to the next one. But for me the suspense was lacking and the characters were not that interesting, especially the main character.

Will I read the next episode? Possibly. But if it doesn't improve from there that's as far as ill probably go. ( )
  capiam1234 | Aug 14, 2013 |

smcamp1234 | Aug 14, 2013 |

Isaac Hooke is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,224,114 books! | Top bar: Always visible