The Worlds of Edgar Rice Burroughs by Robert…

The Worlds of Edgar Rice Burroughs

by Robert T. Garcia (Editor), Mike Resnick (Editor)

Other authors: Keven J. Anderson (Contributor), Matthew Clemens (Contributor), Max Allan Collins (Contributor), Peter David (Contributor), Sarah A. Hoyt (Contributor)8 more, Mercedes Lackey (Contributor), Joe R. Lansdale (Contributor), Richard A. Lupoff (Contributor), Todd McCaffrey (Contributor), Mike Resnick (Contributor), Ralph Roberts (Contributor), Kristine Katheryn Rusch (Contributor), Gridley Wave (Contributor)

An odd mixture. Some stories read like ERBs I'd just never seen. Some were well-written but didn't strike me as being much like ERB - though most of those were written in worlds I haven't yet read, so it may just be that I was unfamiliar with his style in that world. At least one read like a savage parody of ERB, with wild coincidence and a lot of "love the one you're with" controlling the story. And a few were workmanlike attempts at an ERB story, but the quality was lacking - the middle Tarzan story, in particular, leans way too heavily on coincidence, as well as not feeling particularly Tarzan-like in style. And little lapses in logic like - can't get to the apes' dancing floor except through the tops of the trees, but a herd of elephants can show up with no problem or even a mention of broken trees, also detract. The first Tarzan story was excellent in its portrayal of ERB's style, though the story itself was rather pointless. And the last Tarzan - the last story in the book - was a mildly fun crossover (with footnotes, yet!), that wasn't quite up to ERB's standard of writing. I enjoyed several of the stories, but overall my reaction is "eh". Glad I read it, doubt I'll bother to reread. Though it may inspire me to read a couple ERBs - some old favorites and some I haven't read yet. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Apr 16, 2014 |
I picked up the “Worlds of Edgar Rice Burroughs” anthology for two reasons. One, I like ERB, and two, one of the stories is written by one of my favorite authors, Kevin J Anderson. This book was an enjoyable read and the authors did a great job with their stories in ERBs different worlds. I loved most of the stories. There were a couple of exceptions that were a little disappointing. “The Scorpion Men of Venus” by Richard A Lupoff where the Characters were at least in my opinion portrayed as very shallow, and “To the Nearest Planet” by Todd McCaffrey which started out awesome but the ending left me scratching my head. Anyway I thought it was a great collection and any ERB fan will love it. My favorite stories were which is hard because they were mostly all great was “The Forgotten Sea of Mars” by Mike Resnick, “Tarzan and the Martian Invaders” by Kevin J Anderson, and “The Dead World” by F. Paul Wilson. However other than the two I mentioned above I really enjoyed all of them. ( )
  marysneedle | Mar 21, 2014 |

The Two Billys, A Mucker Story by Max Allan Collins and Matthew Clemens;
To the Nearest Planet as told to Todd McCaffrey;
The Dead World as related by David Innes to F. Paul Wilson, via Gridley Wave;
Tarzan and the Land That Time Forgot by Joe. R. Lansdale;

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 145163935X, Paperback)

Original theme anthology.  Eleven new tales set in the legendary worlds of Edgar Rice Burroughs. Contains stories by top writers such as Mercedes Lackey, Sarah Hoyt, and Mike Resnick.

Eleven new tales set in the legendary worlds of Edgar Rice Burroughs.

Most people don’t know it, but the best-selling American writer of the 1920s wasn’t Hemingway or Fitzgerald, but Edgar Rice Burroughs. Everyone knows that he created Tarzan, but he wasn’t limited to that one classic creation.  There was John Carter, Warlord of Mars.  There was Pellucidar, the wondrous world that exists at the center of the Earth, and  Carson of Venus, the Wrong-Way Corrigan of space, who set off for Mars and wound up on Venus for four novels and part of a fifth.

Many top science fiction and fantasy writers of today grew up reading Burroughs, and this anthology is their way of “paying back” and thanking him for stirring their imaginations. Join their celebration with these all new tales set in the astounding worlds that Edgar Rice Burroughs brought to life: giving their own spin on the unforgettable characters conceived by one of the great masters of science fiction, adventure, and fantasy.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:34 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,941,972 books! | Top bar: Always visible