On Distant Shores: A Novel (Wings of the…

On Distant Shores: A Novel (Wings of the Nightingale) (Volume 2)

by Sarah Sundin

Sarah Sundin's Wings of The Nightingale is my favorite series of novels of the World War II era. Steeped in history , she nevertheless manages very well to bring color to a time of history that is usually shown in grays and browns. This novel is the second in her series, but is quite able to be a stand alone book. You do meet the same characters as you did in her With every Letter, although this one follows Lt. Georgiana Taylor (better known as Georgie) and Sgt. John Hutchinson (known as Hutch through most of the story), Rose, Mellie and the others are still there.
The battles fought are not only against nations, but in the heart of the people. Sarah has many subplots and issues that are dealt with in a very timely manner, which makes reading this book enjoyable. I hope that this is not the conclusion of this series, as I am looking forward to finding out what happens to the characters. I give 5 stars to this novel, and recommend you read it, even though war might not be your preferred reading.

I received this book free from Chris at LitfusePublicityGroup and Revell Publishing in exchange for an honest review. A positive critique was not required. The opinions are my own. ( )
  mbarkman | Feb 21, 2014 |
I would recommend checking out the first book and then reading this one second. There are some books that you don't have to read it order even though I tend to like to read them in order but I feel this series should be read in order because the first book does lay the foundation for things that happen in this book. Anyway lets get on to the review for this book. In this book you are following along with Georgie as she learns to overcome her fears along with learning to make decisions for herself and not letting her family and friends run her life for her. I really loved this book and I can't wait to read what happens next. I loved watching both Georgie and Hutch grow. There were also parts that broke my heart for both of them but in the end it ended just how I thought I should end. If you love romance books and also books where the main characters grow then this is the book for you! ( )
  mattidw | Dec 17, 2013 |
Another great captivating read by Sarah Sundin, she does not disappoint! We are able to look at some of the things that happened in the first book, but from another view point.
With this book we are in Italy, and I felt the bombs hitting the shore. Sarah had me right in the middle of the war in this story. This is Lt. Georgiana Taylor's story, and also Sgt. John Hutchinson. Fraternizing with an officer is not allowed. Never mind that John has more education than most of the other officers, they think the Pharmacy Corp is below them. Huh? Anyway Hutch and his Dad Stateside wage a battle to make Pharmacists Officers. Hard to have a romance when you are not allowed to be together...not even hold hands.
Both Georgie and Hutch are engaged to other people when they meet, and both are aware each is off limits. We also have another engaging character in this book...a child Lucia, a seven year old, orphan, who was injured by an Army truck.
Come along on another great adventure, one with God's hand on each of them. Be ready for a lot of war time action, with a bit of romance thrown in. Catch up with Georgie's friends from the first book, and if you haven't read it, be sure to treat yourself!
I for one cannot wait until the next book it out! Thanks for sharing your gifts Sarah!

I received this book through Litfuse Publicity Book Tours, and was not required to give a positive review. ( )
  alekee | Aug 30, 2013 |
On Distant Shores by Sarah Sundin continues the action, heartbreak, and romance of World War II in this second book in the Wings of the Nightingale series. Set in the Mediterranean Theater of Operations and spanning the months between July 1943 and April 1944, this exciting novel captured my interest and emotions from the very first page.

Sarah Sundin is a consummate author, whose passion and knowledge of the World War II era shine through on every page. Her attention to historical detail, combined with the ability to create interesting characters and an inspiring narrative, are amazing. Sarah's books are automatic reads for me.

The Wings of the Nightingales series skillfully tells the stories of six flight nurses, "mercy on wings" - their efforts to be allowed to serve in this way, the danger they faced, the strong bond of friendship they shared, and their personal struggles as well. On Distant Shores picks up where the first story, With Every Letter, left off and I enjoyed being reunited with beloved characters.

Sarah has the ability to create characters who are real and that readers can identify with. Georgie is one of six nurses in the 802nd Medical Air Evacuation Transport Squadron. She's an extrovert who adores people, loves to plan parties, and cares for the outcast. As the pampered baby of her wealthy Virginia family, she has always let other people guide her, and fears that she may be in over her head with the squadron. But Georgie gradually comes to realize that rather than aiming for safety, her goal should be "for strength to stand in an unsafe world."

Technical Sergeant John Hutchinson (Hutch), with the 93rd Evacuation Hospital, is frustrated at having to enter the Army without a commission in order to practice pharmacy, and seeks to be accepted into the Pharmacy Corp recently approved by Congress. The situation of pharmacists in mobile hospitals during the war is a very interesting theme and Sarah has done her research well.

Spiritual insights are beautifully woven into these characters' lives. Knowing that some people don't want her to change, while others don't believe she can change, Georgie tells Hutch: "You're the only one who sees me as I really am and believes I can become the woman I should be." And Hutch needs to find contentment outside the recognition that he so bitterly craves.

Character strengths of Georgie and Hutch are shown in two situations that I especially loved. When patients don't want to be evacuated on the same flight with a wounded soldier because of his skin color, Georgie rises above southern prejudice and says, "I don't care what color they are, as long as they fight for freedom." The other is Hutch's love and care for the adorable Lucia, an injured war orphan.

On Distant Shores combines the beauty of the Italian countryside with the realism of war, catching the reader emotionally with the lives of these courageous men and women who fight for freedom. I highly recommend this novel to all readers.

“Whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men.”
Colossians 3:23

The final book in the Wings of the Nightingale series, In Perfect Time, will be released in August 2014.

This book was provided by Litfuse Publicity and Revell Publishing in exchange for my honest review. ( )
  PianoLady831 | Aug 28, 2013 |
ON DISTANT SHORES by Sarah Sundin is another exciting Inspirational Historical Romance (World War II) set in 1943. #2 in the "Wings of the Nightingale" series, but can be read as a stand alone. See, "With Every Letter". This story does have alternating points of view between the characters,but this only adds character and realization to the story. Join Lt. Georgiana Taylor, a flight nurse and Sgt. John Hutchinson, a Pharmacist on a journey of hurt,betrayal,faith,healing,forgiveness,struggles, the effects of war and love. What a whirlwind tender love story among the turmoil of Germans, tradegy and war. You will be carried away to Army hospitals,airfields,battles,and other places all over the Mediterranean along with the characters. Ms. Sundin has an act with her storytelling of making the reader feel her characters hurt and pain as well as their joys and triumphs. If you enjoy stories of World War II than you will enjoy "On Distant Shores". For a great love story with Ms. Sundin's feel of World War II, her well-researched World War II story,an absorbing tale of love and a romantic read,pick up "On Distant Shores",you will not be disappointed. Through turmoil and war can love really survive? A must read for any historical romance readers, those who enjoy World War II era stories and anyone who enjoys a great read. I would highly recommend this title! I can hardly wait to read the last book in this series, which I understand will be Lt. Kay Jobson and Lit. Roger Cooper's story. Received for an honest review from the publisher.

“Available August 2013 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.”

RATING: 4.5

HEAT RATING: SWEET

REVIEWED BY: AprilR, Review courtesy of My Book Addiction and More ( )
  MyBookAddiction | Aug 26, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0800720822, Paperback)

Lt. Georgiana Taylor has everything she could want. A comfortable boyfriend back home, a loving family, and a challenging job as a flight nurse. But in July 1943, Georgie's cozy life gets decidedly more complicated when she meets pharmacist Sgt. John Hutchinson. Hutch resents the lack of respect he gets as a noncommissioned serviceman and hates how the war keeps him from his fiancée. While Georgie and Hutch share a love of the starry night skies over Sicily, their lives back home are falling apart. Can they weather the hurt and betrayal? Or will the pressures of war destroy the fragile connection they've made?

With her signature attention to detail and her talent for bringing characters together, Sarah Sundin pens another exciting tale in her series featuring WWII flight nurses. Fans new and old will find in On Distant Shores the perfect combination of emotion, action, and romance.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:31 -0400)

Serving as a flight nurse during World War II, Lieutenant Georgia Taylor finds her comfortable private life thrown into question by her tenuous bond with a pharmacist serviceman who harbors resentment over lingering grievances.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,647,793 books! | Top bar: Always visible