The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The…

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering… (2014)

by Marie Kondo

English (156)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  Piratical (1)  French (1)  All (166)
Read enough to rid myself of anything that doesn't "spark joy." Returned to library, so it can spark joy for others. ( )
  msmilton | Jul 18, 2018 |
  msmilton | Jul 18, 2018 |
I don't read many books that fall in the self-help genre. I feel like I'm usually too cynical to think they'll work, but I decided to commit myself to believing in this book because my home (and head) are often a mess. Even if I don't successfully apply all of Kondo's practices and make my home into a minimalist paradise, I appreciated a lot of her thoughts about how a home should be, and how we should relate to our possessions. Putting some thought into how I want my living space to feel, and what things I care about deeply was rewarding in a very practical way. I also enjoyed Kondo's voice, which kept me entertained throughout.
  thishannah | Jul 17, 2018 |
I found this a quick and interesting read. I would say that the book is half how-to and half philosophy or spirituality. It is a very different look at decluttering, being what I would call holistic. My understanding is that the basic concept deals with relationship of person to belongings. The author speaks of all things as having consciousness. Things know their purpose. We get in touch with our feelings about each thing we own and decide based on that whether or not we should keep our hold on it. Letting go of something that does not bring us joy is liberating for both ourselves and for the thing we let go of.

The author speaks of thanking things we use as we put them away after use. Greet our abode when we come home. Know that it is there to protect us. Gratitude, expressed audibly or silently, is a big part of her thinking. This includes gratitude when we let something go, gratitude for the use of it or for the lesson learned when we found that we had no use for it. But the bottom line is not the practical use for the item, but does it spark joy in us. It is not about deciding what to discard, but rather what we want to keep. And it is about seeing the energy or spirit that is in everything. In seeing things afresh we find more joy in what we have.

This book is much more than how to organize your stuff! ( )
  ajlewis2 | Jul 11, 2018 |
I liked this book. It gave me perspective on how to see and analyze my possessions. How some of them are prized, some are useful, and some just take up space. I learned to let go of things I never wanted but felt guilty about having. While I did not act on all the suggestions she made (I'm not getting rid of any of my books!), I had enough of a push to de-clutter and maintain a neater home. I did not use all of her techniques, and I believe they aren't for everyone, but it was a useful and actionable book. ( )
  trile1000 | Jul 1, 2018 |

Marie Kondoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Di Berardino, FrancescaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hirano, CathyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeller, Emily WooNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In this book, I have summed up how to put your space in order in a way that will change your life forever.
Have you ever tidied madly, only to find that all too soon your home or workplace is cluttered again?
The moment you first encounter a particular book is the right time to read it.
Shouldn't be combined with The Life-Changing Manga of Tidying Up: A Magical Story even though the titles are similar (at least in English). The two books were written several years apart and the manga is a fictionalized lesson on the KonMari Method, told through a story that doesn't appear in this book.

For years of faithful service
And throw them away.

This best-selling guide to decluttering your home from Japanese cleaning consultant Marie Kondo takes readers step-by-step through her revolutionary KonMari Method for simplifying, organizing, and storing.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,293,254 books! | Top bar: Always visible