dismiss

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The…

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering… (original 2014; edition 2014)

by Marie Kondo (Author)

This best-selling guide to decluttering your home from Japanese cleaning consultant Marie Kondo takes readers step-by-step through her revolutionary KonMari Method for simplifying, organizing, and storing.
Member:GrumpyLawyer
Title:The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing
Authors:Marie Kondo (Author)
Info:Ten Speed Press (2014), Edition: 1st, 224 pages

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing by Marie Kondo (2014)

English (216)  German (3)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Hungarian (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (226)
Reads like David Allen from a Japanese lady's perspective. Good messages best read when about to do a major move or overhaul. ( )
  bsmashers | Aug 1, 2020 |
I'm giving this four stars for now because it was a very enjoyable read. I found the writing style concise and charming. Includes great practical tips for how to rid yourself of life detritus that you really don't need. I have trouble parting with things that have sentimental value to me, so I will be able to make use of the tips on how to get rid of that kind of stuff.

It was also reassuring to learn that other people do the same things I do, like stuff their closet so full they have a hard time taking out a dress, or putting their clean laundry in a pile instead of folding and putting it away. I always thought I was the only person in the world who was THAT slovenly.

I'm reserving the option to come back and upgrade to five stars if, after tidying, I find my life really is changed. ( )
  CatherineMachineGun | Jul 31, 2020 |
This book did really nothing for me. I don't like the idea that my possessions are being tortured by my method of folding or stacking or whatever. I get enough of the particular sadness of possessions having emotions from the Toy Story movies. Also, none of this seems life-changing to me. I mean, granted, I didn't read the whole book...I skimmed a bunch of it though...and I haven't actually gone through the steps but it just sounds like cleaning to me? Am I wrong? Aren't there lots of books about cleaning that have different cleaning methods that might work better or worse for different types of people and this is just one of them? For my next big clean, I am planning on getting rid of as much stuff as possible, because it just sits there doing nothing. Weeding is good for all collections of stuff. But I can't say that reading this book gave me this idea. I don't think that emptying my bag out every single night only to put most of that stuff back inside will make me feel more at peace with my life. So I'm glad that this book helped some people, but I don't really go in for self-help books in general so this one is no exception. ( )
  katebrarian | Jul 28, 2020 |
What a disaster of a book. First, the narrater of the audiobook was not good. Her voice was grating and nasal. More importantly, the author worships all things Japanese. Her entire philosophy is to tell us over and over again how the Japanese do everything. She gives out instructions which are absolute and inflexible and the reader is made to feel that only her way is possible, and any deviations result in complete failure. I admire the Japanese culture, but that isn’t what i wanted from this book. ( )
  JohnKaess | Jul 23, 2020 |
This is not your typical housekeeping title! Most titles in this subject area are geared towards offering practical tips with the idea of increasing efficiency in housekeeping and reducing clutter. Kondo’s approach involves analyzing our thought processes in an effort to figure out why we hang on to the clutter to begin with. She explains her thought processes in detail, but everything boils down to this one question: “Does this spark joy?” If it does, hang on to it; if not, then dispose of it.

This approach intrigued me enough that I decided to buy the eBook version of it for myself (I had originally checked out the eAudiobook version from the library), as I definitely want to read it again. This is a very do-able approach to handling most things that we tend to accumulate. With that being said, I don’t think it quite covers everything, namely the things that we need to hang on to for one reason or another, yet don’t necessarily bring us joy (think financial records). For what to do with those types of things, there are plenty of other books and websites that will fill in that gap, though.
  heatherdw20 | Jul 23, 2020 |

Marie Kondoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Di Berardino, FrancescaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hirano, CathyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeller, Emily WooNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In this book, I have summed up how to put your space in order in a way that will change your life forever.
Have you ever tidied madly, only to find that all too soon your home or workplace is cluttered again?
The moment you first encounter a particular book is the right time to read it.
...we should be choosing what we want to keep, not what we want to get rid of.
...the best way to choose what to keep and what to throw away is to take each item in one’s hand and ask “Does this spark joy?” If it does, keep it. If not, dispose of it.
I recommend that you always think in terms of category, not place.
Getting rid of other people’s things without permission demonstrates a sad lack of common sense.
Shouldn't be combined with The Life-Changing Manga of Tidying Up: A Magical Story even though the titles are similar (at least in English). The two books were written several years apart and the manga is a fictionalized lesson on the KonMari Method, told through a story that doesn't appear in this book.

For years of faithful service
And throw them away.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,072,298 books! | Top bar: Always visible