The Infernal Devices: Clockwork Angel;…

The Infernal Devices: Clockwork Angel; Clockwork Prince; Clockwork… (edition 2013)

by Cassandra Clare

Member:FeliceChan
Title:The Infernal Devices: Clockwork Angel; Clockwork Prince; Clockwork Princess
Authors:Cassandra Clare
Info:Margaret K. McElderry Books (2013), Hardcover, 1520 pages

Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices) by Cassandra Clare

Clockwork Angel isn't particularly impressive in terms of the writing, but it is still an enjoyable read. Tessa, the main character, has enough depth that I grew quite attached to her over the course of the story. I liked both of the main love interests well enough as well, but Will's backstory wasn't explained enough. There are far, far too many questions left unanswered by the end of the story that it makes me wonder if Ms. Clare is seriously going to try salvaging his character in the eyes of the reader.

That was my main complaint about the book, actually: for everything that did happen, there were still so many unanswered questions by the end of the book. I would highly recommend waiting until the second book is released in December of 2011 before reading Clockwork Angel. ( )
  whatsmacksaid | Sep 21, 2018 |
If you have read this book, do me a favor and skip the review part (if you'd like) and scroll down to a little spoiler tag at the bottom and tell me your thoughts. I'd like to know why people can skip over that little tiny thing that happened

Disclaimer: Lol none if you want to get in a fight with me by all means you can try but I'm not going to fight back at this point this book has left me

This book...was a mess. I am so sorry to say this, because I know how much people love and adore this book, but it really just was not for me. This is certainly one of those situations that I can identify that this was me and not the book. I can completely see where people would enjoy this story, but as someone who religiously reads historical fiction, I was expecting way too much from it. Sure, I should have realized that this was the case, but still, everything about this book felt juvenile and immature.

You see the thing is, Cassandra Clare really should not write in this era. She does just fine for the most part in TMI, but in the Victorian era it’s just a strange mix of trying too hard and getting it plain wrong. The dialogue is really the worst because it feels like as soon she starts to get somewhere with dialogue, she skips out completely of the era and falls right back into that modern voice. One of the things I love about TMI is that it is so easy to read and fall into the story, but her voice just... didn't fit for this. It just felt wrong.

And historical inaccuracy aside, her writing was just off this time. It was like something happened between her writing this book and City of Glass and it really wasn't good. There were literally sentences that I would stop and do a full body cringe over because they were so babyish!

The "plot twists" made me so mad, because they were SO PREDICTABLE. There wasn’t any shock or wow or zing to them. It was kind of like duh, of course that wasn’t what you thought it was because how would there be two more books if everything worked out perfectly in this one? And then, yeah totally did not see that coming! PLOTTTTT TWISTTTT (Just hear the sarcasm, just soak it it)

The female characters? HAhahahahahaaaa - nope. Jessamine was very shallow and one dimensional; a perfect cliche of what a woman was “supposed” to have been in that era with not personality whatsoever. I can see where there would be room for a potential change of this and have her character break through as really strong, but honestly at this rate - don’t that’s going to happen.

Tessa also absolutely irritated me so freaking much - she was also so juvenile and just a big nope from me. Her quoting books got on my nerves because (as much as I love books and have read many of them that she was quoting) everything...was compared...to something...in a book. Everything. Her hair was like Mr. Rochester’s crazy wife, this one thing was like Shakespeare. And what boggles my mind more - HOW THE HECK WAS SHE EVEN ABLE TO READ ALL THESE BOOKS? Even back then Books. Were. Expensive. She’s always talking about how poor her and her aunt were - HOW WAS SHE BUYING ALL OF THESE BOOKS?

I know this book is famous for being a “good” love triangle, but at this point I don’t even want Tessa to end up with either of them. In fact, I’d almost say I would lean more Will and Jem and not either of them with Tessa at this point. I just can’t do it.

Haha, and speaking of the dynamic duo, can't say I like them. Will, despite liking his comebacks and initially thinking he was quite funny, is just turning into another Jace (albeit a little bit nicer) and Jem on the other hand, simply feels like Cassandra is trying too hard to make things too different from Will because -will Tessa fall for the bad boy or the mysterious, troubled one?

Also? Can we just take a moment to think about how after Will and Tessa kissed at the end of the book, he had the nerve to ask her which bed they would be using. Hold on a moment, let that soak in nice and long.

HE HAD THE NERVE TO THINK THAT JUST BECAUSE THEY KISSED THEY WERE GOING TO HAVE SEX.

Excuse you that is nowhere near romantic. That is gross and simply wrong that he would treat her like that - no matter how much I dislike Tessa, women are more than their bodies.

Repeat that after me:

Women are more than their bodies.

Most importantly: Women are not their bodies

Just. Because. You. Kissed. Does. Not. Mean. You. Expect. Her. To. Take. You. To. Her. Bed. And. Then. Mock. Her. When. She. Says. No. Then. Proceed. To. Essentially. Call. Her. A. Whore.

Tell me exactly why no one has pointed this out? I just can't take this book anymore!

Oh and one last thing - am I the only one who has noticed just how prejudiced the Shadowhunter's society is?

SO DISAPPOINTED!

I will however, most likely be continuing at least to the next book since I have it. ( )
  jlydia | Jun 25, 2018 |
As I expected, a beautiful start to the series. I've had this trilogy sitting on my shelf for far too long. With the release of Lady Midnight I decided it was finally time to pick the books up. I'm super glad I did and I can't wait to continue the series!!! ( )
  spellbindingstories | May 24, 2018 |
as always i love this book!!!! ( )
  Nicole365 | May 12, 2018 |
Great beginning to a series.
Although--Love triangle. REALLY?!?
  VanChocStrawberry | Apr 2, 2018 |

New York Times bestselling Infernal Devices trilogy, are now available together in a collectible paperback boxed set. The books have gorgeous new covers, maps, forewords, and bonus content. Passion. Power. Secrets. Enchantment. Enter the secret world of the Shadowhunters with this handsomely packaged boxed set that includes Clockwork Angel , Clockwork Prince , and Clockwork Princess . The villainous Mortmain and his terrifying clockwork army are on the move to destroy the Shadowhunters. Can Tessa, Jem, and Will stop his infernal plot? This complete collectible set of three paperback volumes is a perfect gift for newcomers to the series and for loyal fans alike.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,806,374 books! | Top bar: Always visible