A Method to the Madness: A Guide to the…

A Method to the Madness: A Guide to the Super Evil

by Jeffrey A Hite

English (11)  German (1)  All (12)
Book Info: Genre: Short story anthology/Self-help parody
Reading Level: MG on up
Recommended for: Those who want to be a super villain, or a supervillain for that matter...

My Thoughts: Okay, this was just hilarious. A series of articles including advice on all aspects of being Super Evil, including the care and maintenance of minions, person.al presentation, etc. If you've been wanting some advice on how to be truly Evil, whether it's big or small, you can find that here. Don't miss the biography section at the end that gives information on the various villains that wrote the papers (and the pen names by which they are better known to the outside world). This is an all-ages sort of book, I think anyone with a sense of humor will enjoy it and have a lot of laughs, so definitely check it out

Disclosure: I received an e-book copy of this through the LibraryThing Early Reviewers Program in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Synopsis: In an almost unprecedented move, a conclave of The Super Evil convened last year at a secret lair in North America to create a guide book for aspiring ne'er-do-wells. The result? A collection of papers known generally as "A Method to the Madness: a Guide to the Super Evil," a collection destined to become the handbook globally of every evil genius.

The collection includes 24 papers presented by evil luminaries such as Her Serene Omnipotence Calassandra, Conqueror and Empress; Janus Kinase Hateyuaniwae, BFA, PhD, PhD, FRCCP, P.Eng; and Dr. Evil-n-Carnate, Frequent Flyer, Grocery Shopper and Overlord Of Cubical Block 3257J - to name but a few.

Between the 24 sages who assembled at the North American Conclave, they created insightful papers on the pressing subjects of "Cognitive Perspective in the Pursuit of Evil; Principles of Biology and Genetics for Minion Breeding Programs;" and, "The Importance of Date Night to the Married Super Villain." ( )
  Katyas | Oct 23, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I got this book via LibraryThing and want to thank them and the author for the trust place in me.
I read the book on the train while commuting to work and found it a very amusing read. It's short chapters are always funny and easy to read.
The theme of the book is refreshing for it isn't the goody-two-shoes view on superheroes but that of the villain.

Very funny and entertaining. ( )
  omf | Sep 29, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is one of those books that's exactly what it says on the tin: a bunch of fictional mad scientists and other supervillains write a book of advice for aspiring supervillains in the form of a collection of essays.

While occasionally amusing, at least in part for its frequent references to the James Bond movie series and other touchstones of popular culture, and not actively painful to read, I would classify it as not worth your time. Even the two articles on evil fashion managed to be boring - one of them is even ostensibly written by a camp gay supervillain, putting us firmly in the real of the cliche.

The Evil Overlord List (which gives advice on how to be the best supervillain you can be, and how to avoid, rather than perpetuate, the major mistakes made by those who aspire to be evil conquerors) is much funnier, and also free. Skip this, read that instead. ( )
  Kleio08 | Sep 5, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was given this book to review as an ebook. That made it easy for me to read it while waiting for other things in my life to happen (a store to open, a doctor to see me, that sort of thing). That was, unfortunately, the only good thing about it. It was not badly written, it was just simply boring. I found my mind drifting from the words and taking flights of fancy that had little to do with the book I was supposed to be reading. ( )
  Nightwing | Aug 7, 2013 |
Recently it occurred to me that I'm not getting any younger and its time for me to start following my life's dream of becoming an evil mad scientist and take over the world. The problem was I didn't even know where to begin, I mean it's not like there are evil genius classes that you can take at your local community college. Then I was looking online and found A Method to the Madness A Guide to the Super Evil edited by Jeffery A Hite and Michell Plested.

This book will tell you everything you need to know to be an evil super villain. It includes articles on how to choose an evil henchman, how to dress to take over the world, how to cross-breed minions, how to decorate your secret lab and how to be evil in normal ways. Several Evil masterminds have gotten together to give people like me, who dream of being evil, a guidebook to make things easier.

There is a lot you can learn in this book, such as the pros and cons of having zombies as henchmen, how to get your own Igor and the problems you run into with creating an army of super robots. I would recommend this book to anyone with plans on world domination because there is a lot of good info in here. Keep in mind though when you get this book that it is a self-help book and not really a novel.

The people who will really enjoy this book our the people who like to read comics and root for the bad guy. A Method to the Madness really gets into how a super villain would think if there really were super villains. There are 24 articles in this book about being super evil. Each article is by a super villain with the writer behind the villain given at the end of the book.

There were some really funny parts in this book. My favorite part was learning that evil masterminds were running the health care system. Considering how much it is to visit a doctor, I guess I should have figured that one out. I also liked the sections on choosing a henchman. I laughed out loud at one of the villains saying how creepy it is watching his carnival freak show minions just sit there. Other sections I enjoyed were public relation tactics for super villains and why giving ultimatums don't work.

While I do want to recommend reading A Method To The Madness I have to say that this isn't the kind of book that you would enjoy reading all at once. This book is more like a manual then a series of short stories and if you read it all at once you may get bored. It gets a little dry in places and some of the ideas get repeated. You would enjoy A Method To The Madness much more if you read one article every other day and not all at once. Keeping that in mind, I think for any fan of super hero literature, this book is a must have. ( )
  dwatson2 | Jul 4, 2013 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jeffrey A Hite's book A Method to the Madness: A Guide to the Super Evil was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,246,823 books! | Top bar: Always visible