Death by Living: Life Is Meant to Be Spent…

Death by Living: Life Is Meant to Be Spent

by N. D. Wilson

N.D. Wilson is a brilliant writer, and his unique voice shines in Death by Living. In particular, the word pictures that he creates are so original that they help bring further understanding to truths that might seem commonplace.

Death by Living is not merely a fun read, though. It is full of encouraging truth that will cause you to step back and evaluate the life you've been living. He does this by unpacking the truth of his thesis: Life is a story.

We all are in the midst of a great Story that started in the mind of the triune God. He created the universe to share the Story of His greatness, and this grand narrative is fleshed out for every created being through the way that God has providentially worked in the small and large details of life that resulted in your grandparents coming together, which resulted in your parents being born, which eventually resulted in you being born. We, too, have a part to play, and as actors in the great drama that is taking part in and around us, we should live lives that reflect this reality. Our lives should be lived to the fullest for God's glory, and when the lights begin to fade on our portion of the play, we should embrace death and the glories that await us. That's what Wilson calls death by living: spending your life playing your role in the greatest Story ever told and then boldly approaching death with the knowledge that God has used you for His glory.

This book was great, and Wilson's ability to combine sound theological content with excellent writing is refreshing. You should read it.
  codyacunningham | May 9, 2016 |
Live. And enjoy it. ( )
  memlhd | Jan 23, 2016 |
Live. And enjoy it. ( )
  memlhd | Jan 23, 2016 |
Wilsonian poetic prose about the passing of his grandparents, & the raising of children, & living to the fullest under God. ( )
  leandrod | Feb 10, 2015 |
I had heard this book was good(as was Notes) but I had determined it was going to be too artsy and non-linear for me so I was not going to read it.

Then my wife said she was going to read it so I bought her a copy and decided to read it as well.

What a blessing. The way Wilson writes is engaging, entertaining, encouraging, and probably many more en-somethings than I could even come up with.

I really, really enjoyed this book and God has used it to teach and exhort me to greater faithfulness to him, a faithfulness that hopefully will continually pour out to those around me.
Great book. ( )
1 vote joshrskinner | Jul 30, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0849920094, Hardcover)

A poetic portrait of faith, futility, and the joy of this mortal life.

In this astoundingly unique book, bestselling author N.D. Wilson reminds each of us that to truly live we must recognize that we are dying. Every second we create more of our past—more decisions, more breathing, more love and more loathing, all of it slides by into the gone as we race to grab at more moments, at more memories made and already fading.

We are all authors, creators of our own pasts, of the books that will be our lives. We stare at the future or obsess about the present, but only the past has been set in stone, and we are the ones setting it. When we race across the wet concrete of time without purpose, without goals, without laughter and love and sacrifice, then we fail in our mortal moment. We race toward our inevitable ends without artistry and without beauty.

All of us must pause and breathe. See the past, see your life as the fruit of providence and thousands of personal narratives. What led to you? You did not choose where to set your feet in time. You choose where to set them next.

Then, we must see the future, not just to stare into the fog of distant years but to see the crystal choices as they race toward us in this sharp foreground we call the present. We stand in the now.  God says create. Live. Choose. Shape the past. Etch your life in stone, and what you make will be forever.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:16 -0400)

In this book, N.D. Wilson reminds each of us that to truly live we must recognize that we are dying. Every second we create more of our past - more decisions, more breathing, more love, and more loathing. All of it slides by into the gone as we race to grab at more moments, at more memories made and already fading. The author gives a poetic portrait of faith, futility, and the joy of this mortal life.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,435,108 books! | Top bar: Always visible