The Violent Century by Lavie Tidhar

The Violent Century (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Lavie Tidhar

Member:psutto
Title:The Violent Century
Authors:Lavie Tidhar
Info:Hodder & Stoughton (2013), Kindle Edition, 352 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:2013 challenge

The Violent Century by Lavie Tidhar (2013)

A prose book excellent for fans of Watchmen by Alan Moore, or The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen by Alan Moore
  ktoonen | Mar 31, 2016 |
I did want to like this, what's not to like about a book with a cameo from Stan Lee? Well it didn't really work for me, except in small pieces where I was entertained with the opium dreams etc.

An interesting idea where an experiment by a German scientist creates superheroes, just before World War II, this changes the war, but as there are superheroes on both sides they mostly cancel each other out. This is a story of one, Fogg, who is explaining his complicated history to his boss, the repercussions are interesting.

Had some clever ideas, I was dragged out of the story by the lack of quotation marks too often to make it truly interesting. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Sep 3, 2015 |
In retrospect, it’s an idea so obvious it’s remarkable it hasn’t been mined to death: superheroes as spies. Oh, sure, there’s likely a few attempts at combining espionage and extraordinary powers out there, but I’d bet a sum of money that the concept has never been as perfectly executed as in Lavie Tidhar’s thoroughly gripping superspy thriller The Violent Century.

Read the full review here. ( )
  ShelfMonkey | Aug 2, 2014 |
Brilliant

They’d never meant to be heroes…

In the 1930’s a German scientist, called Vomacht, performs an experiment that accidentally(?) creates “The changed”. The changed are kind of like the X-Men and exist in most countries. Our story concentrates on two of the changed called Fogg and Oblivion but along the way we get to meet a good many of them, on all sides. The story here is chopped into many little pieces and thrown together in an enthralling jigsaw. We often swap between the past and the present and yet there is a solid narrative thread running throughout. I am in awe of Tidhar’s skill with the story here and the believable characters, even though they each have superpowers. It helps that he concentrates on the British as the Americans are full in your face superhero types and the Germans are also Ubermenschen (as well as, on the whole, super-creepy). Oblivion and Fogg work for the retirement bureau and act, mainly, behind the scenes.

The world is lovingly detailed and we get to see the 30’s, 40’s and 50’s with an alternative history. Tidhar is playing with structure, playing with narrative and playing with conventions such as how dialogue is usually represented. He pulls it all off admirably. This is a tale, at heart, about people, which is a brilliant achievement considering it is full of ubermenshen. Along the way we get Nazi’s we get noir undertones, we get WW2 re-imagined, we get cool powers, we get a British superhero called Mrs Tinkle, we get Dracul in Transylvania, we get Auschwitz and Mengele and a book packed from cover to cover with great reading.

And yet the eye is drawn to the pictures, the bright uniforms in pixelated garish four-colour. There’s Tigerman, framed dramatically on top of the Empire state building, holding on to a cowering criminal mastermind. There’s the Green Gunman chasing outlaws in the wilds of Texas. The Electric Twins in Detroit capturing Al Capone. Fogg is mesmerised by the images, their brashness, their colour. It is raining on the Charing Cross Road. A grey morning, people hurrying past with black umbrellas over their heads. You’re a good watcher, Fogg, the Old Man says, his voice is in Fogg’s ears. We need men like you. Do not be tempted by the Americans, the loudness, the colour. We are the grey men, we are the shadow men, we watch but are not seen

Overall - This is the first of two books and I’m definitely impatient to be reading the second. Since this one isn’t actually published yet (I got it as part of my Hodderscape haul) I’m going to have to learn to be patient! ( )
  psutto | Aug 29, 2013 |

For seventy years they'd guarded the British Empire. Oblivion and Fogg, inseparable at first, bound together by a shared fate. Until a night in Berlin, in the aftermath of the Second World War, and a secret that tore them apart. But there must always be an account...and the past has a habit of catching up to the present. Recalled to the Retirement Bureau from which no one can retire, Fogg and Oblivion must face up to a past of terrible war and unacknowledged heroism, a life of dusty corridors and secret rooms; of furtive meetings and blood-stained fields, to answer one last, impossible question: What makes a hero?… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,487,826 books! | Top bar: Always visible