The Bully Pulpit: Theodore Roosevelt,…

The Bully Pulpit: Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, and the Golden… (2013)

by Doris Kearns Goodwin

Other authors: Doris Kearns Goodwin

A dynamic history of the muckracking press and the first decade of the Progressive era as told through the intense friendship of Theodore Roosevelt and William Howard Taft--a close relationship that strengthens both men before it ruptures in 1912 when they engage in a brutal fight for the presidential nomination that cripples the progressive wing of the Republican Party, causing Democrat Woodrow Wilson to be elected, and changing the country's history.… (more)
    Mornings on Horseback by David McCullough (rakerman)
    rakerman: The Bully Pulpit covers some biographical details of Theodore Roosevelt Jr.'s life but at a much quicker summary level than Mornings on Horseback. Mornings on Horseback starts off mostly about Theodore Roosevelt Sr., and its level of detail is sometimes excruciating. Each book provides a different perspective on the life and character of Theodore Roosevelt Jr.; they complement each other well.… (more)

A wonderful read and I learned so much because my knowledge of that period is scant. I also came away with a deeper appreciation of Taft and the nobility of his character. ( )
  gburlingham | Sep 25, 2019 |
Excellent. I started listening to this as an audiobook but realized I really needed to have it as a hard copy. It was slow reading because there was so much information, but it was presented very well so it remained both enjoyable and informative throughout. ( )
  TGPistole | Mar 30, 2019 |
This is an outstanding biography of Teddy Roosevelt, William Taft and the Muckraker journalist movement. At 900 pages, my main criticism of the book is that it is too short since it wets the appetite to learn about this period. That said, the book would have been helped by the addition of at least one chapter providing a critical appraisal of the main figures. ( )
  M_Clark | Jan 13, 2019 |
Really interesting. Learned about a lot of things I did not know ( )
  mollygerry | Nov 25, 2018 |
Great Read, US History, 1850 to 1930 ( )
  MichaelHodges | Aug 7, 2018 |

Doris Kearns Goodwinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Goodwin, Doris Kearnssecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Herrmann, EdwardReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Alice Mayhew and Linda Vandegrift
Roosevelt is coming home, hooray!

910 pages, hardback, amazon

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,624,178 books! | Top bar: Always visible