The Bully Pulpit: Theodore Roosevelt,…

The Bully Pulpit: Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, and the Golden… (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Doris Kearns Goodwin

Member:Jaylia3
Title:The Bully Pulpit: Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, and the Golden Age of Journalism
Authors:Doris Kearns Goodwin
Info:Simon & Schuster (2013), Edition: 0, Hardcover, 928 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Biography, History, Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, Progressive Era, Politics

The Bully Pulpit: Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, and the Golden Age of Journalism by Doris Kearns Goodwin (2013)

Mornings on Horseback by David McCullough (rakerman)
    rakerman: The Bully Pulpit covers some biographical details of Theodore Roosevelt Jr.'s life but at a much quicker summary level than Mornings on Horseback. Mornings on Horseback starts off mostly about Theodore Roosevelt Sr., and its level of detail is sometimes excruciating. Each book provides a different perspective on the life and character of Theodore Roosevelt Jr.; they complement each other well.… (more)

Really interesting. Learned about a lot of things I did not know ( )
  mollygerry | Nov 25, 2018 |
Great Read, US History, 1850 to 1930 ( )
  MichaelHodges | Aug 7, 2018 |
Another instant classic by Goodwin! What a fantastic read about one of my favorites - Theodore Roosevelt - and his good friend (and later rival) William Howard Taft. Included in this dual-biography are great chapters on the journalists at McClure's magazine including Steffens, Baker, and Tarbell. This book does a fantastic job capturing the issues, the politics, the drama, and the history of the late 1800s and early 1900s. Goodwin writes her narrative in a way that is easy to read, contains great detail yet moves the story along, and helps the reader understand the characters through their own words. Could not recommend this book enough to anyone who enjoys history or simply a great story. ( )
  msaucier818 | Apr 9, 2018 |
Excellent book! Not only are the historical facets very interesting in retrospect, many of the political struggles ring very timely in the current political climate. I loved the way the author gives a good background for all the main players, so when they collide and clash you can see where they are coming from in their viewpoint. I left feeling that Roosevelt was a bit overrated, Taft severely under appreciated, and the birth of true investigative journalism an epiphany and its loss one we have never really recovered from (and I blame you for its loss TR, LOL).

Side notes... I listened to the audiobook, which helped especially in the beginning with the individual backstory/histories. Halfway through I also checked the hardcover out of the library so I could see the photos and cartoons of the time that were included in that version. By the time I finished reading this I have added almost 30 new reads to my to be read list, almost everything by Doris Kearns Goodwin, and the writings of various authors and journalists that were mentioned within, and separate autobiographies for a few of the other key players. ( )
  RivetedReaderMelissa | Mar 22, 2018 |
Enjoyed this immensely. The story of the friendship of Taft and Roosevelt, how Roosevelt became the first truly media-savvy President, and the heady first years of the Progressive era makes me yearn for a time when ideas mattered, when seemingly arcane subjects like tariff reform captured the publics attention. ( )
  Scott_Hercher | Nov 25, 2017 |

Doris Kearns Goodwinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Goodwin, Doris Kearnssecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Herrmann, EdwardReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Alice Mayhew and Linda Vandegrift
Roosevelt is coming home, hooray!

910 pages, hardback, amazon

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 141654786X, Hardcover)

After Presidents Franklin D. Roosevelt and Abraham Lincoln, Doris Kearns Goodwin wields her magic on another larger-than-life president, and another momentous and raucous American time period as she brings Theodore Roosevelt, the muckraking journalists, and the Progressive Era to life.

As she focused on the relationship between Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt and Lincoln and his Team, Goodwin describes the broken friendship between Teddy Roosevelt and his chosen successor, William Howard Taft. With the help of the “muckraking” press—including legendary journalists Ida Tarbell, Lincoln Steffens, William Allen White, and editor Sam McClure—Roosevelt had wielded the Bully Pulpit to challenge and triumph over abusive monopolies, political bosses, and corrupting money brokers. Roosevelt led a revolution that he bequeathed to Taft only to see it compromised as Taft surrendered to money men and big business. The rupture between the two led Roosevelt to run against Taft for president, an ultimately futile race that resulted in the election of Democrat Woodrow Wilson and the diminishment of Theodore Roosevelt’s progressive wing of the Republican Party.

Like Goodwin’s chronicles of the Civil War and the Great Depression, The Bully Pulpit describes a time in our history that enlightened and changed the country, ushered in the modern age, and produced some unforgettable men and women.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:01 -0400)

A dynamic history of the muckracking press and the first decade of the Progressive era as told through the intense friendship of Theodore Roosevelt and William Howard Taft--a close relationship that strengthens both men before it ruptures in 1912 when they engage in a brutal fight for the presidential nomination that cripples the progressive wing of the Republican Party, causing Democrat Woodrow Wilson to be elected, and changing the country's history.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,862,829 books! | Top bar: Always visible