Good-Bye, Mr. Chips: And Other Stories (The…

Good-Bye, Mr. Chips: And Other Stories (The World's Best Reading) (edition 1995)

by James Hilton, Donna Diamond (Illustrator)

Member:Dawn_Mudore
Title:Good-Bye, Mr. Chips: And Other Stories (The World's Best Reading)
Authors:James Hilton
Other authors:Donna Diamond (Illustrator)
Info:Reader's Digest (1995), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 197 pages
Collections:Your library, Readers' Digest World's Best Reading Series
Tags:World's Best Reading

Good-bye, Mr. Chips, and Other Stories by James Hilton

Tom Brown's School Days by Thomas Hughes (charlie68)
    charlie68: Deals with same era from the student's perspective.

A book about the passage of time, in this case Mr. Chipping aka. Mr. Chips, with his teaching career from 1850 till after the First World War. For a relatively short work it manages to convey the Era aptly. By turns humorous and tragic a good book to spend time with. ( )
  charlie68 | Sep 24, 2015 |
quite sentimental but entertaining. mr.chips is likable and sympathetic. ( )
  mahallett | Oct 23, 2008 |
A feel good character study of a kindly old Victorian English boys school professor. It is too saccharine sweet sentimental for my taste. Hilton tells us how wonderful Mr Chips is, how funny he is and beloved but doesn't convincingly show it, it's all sentimentality. I can see how it would remind older readers of Victorian era professors they had, sure and confident of themselves and the world before it blew up in WWI - the older reader could "know" Mr. Chips the archetype based on an amalgamation of professors they had grown up with, so it's hard to be critical of that. But Hilton has not fully fleshed out Mr Chips so he comes across for modern readers flat, a cartoon character out of a British children's boarding school genre novel .

The illustrations by Dianna Diamond in the Readers Digest edition are excellent, photographic in detail. I have not seen a movie adaptation but hope to do so as I think the sentimentality will transfer well to film.

--Review by Stephen Balbach, via CoolReading (c) 2008 cc-by-nd ( )
  Stbalbach | Aug 5, 2008 |
Wonderful, touching story. Read this aloud to my son when he was about 13, we really enjoyed it. ( )
  ElizaJane | Jul 8, 2007 |

Mr. Chips and all his adventures; and what Mr. Chips taught me.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,814,367 books! | Top bar: Always visible