The Summer Everything Changed by Holly…

The Summer Everything Changed

by Holly Chamberlin

I enjoy Holly Chamberlain’s books and this one was appealing to me as I work in the hospitality business in marketing so there is always drama running a hotel or bed and breakfast. Love the New England area, so the reader can imagine themselves in the setting.

I have firsthand experience with abusive ex-spouses and their controlling nature – as when you find this out – you need to hit the road immediately.

The Blueberry Bay Inn was an ideal place for Louise after her divorce raising her daughter Isobel (having been in an abusive relationship earlier as well). Not wild about the wedding planner portions; however, unfortunately you do meet all kinds of crazies running an inn.

I loved the character Isobel and her blogging. She loved her sense of style, fashion, vintage clothing and shopping love-a creative mind, sassy, witty, smart beyond her years, and a winning personality –and a great friendship with Gwen. Also enjoyed the close friendships of Louise/Catherine.

When Jeff came along he immediately began his control over her, and began chipping away at her independence and bubbling personality. Abuse can be delivered mentally, psychologically and emotionally, as well as violence. I feel this would be a good read for younger girls to make them aware of signs to look for when dating and choosing their friends.

Abusive and controlling guys are out there and can be disguised as charming, good looking, rich so you think they are loving until you began seeing the signs- take heed – these are warning signs.

Agree with some of the other reviewers-would have liked to see more introduction of this topic in order for the book to be read by those in abusive relationships--on the cover and summary; otherwise it may not be read by those who desperately need it.

I would recommend to teens and mothers of teens and adults as very realistic, compelling, and enlightening.
  JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |
This is a really good coming of age story. Isobel learns real quick about "bad boys" all while learning to live in a new place, and trying to make new friends. She realizes that she needs her mother for more than just advice, but will it be too late?
Louise has found a way to make the best out of her divorce. Her husband cheated and was a loser. She uses her money to buy an inn and to make a new start for her and her daughter. She is so busy that she misses Isobel's need for help.
I really enjoyed this book and it took place near where I live in CT. I could definitely relate to the Maine weather!
I am giving this book a 4/5. I was given a copy to review by Library Thing, however all pinions are my own. ( )
  dealsharingaunt | Jul 18, 2013 |
The Summer everything changed by Holly Chamberlin
Have read most of the authors book in the past and enjoyed them as they are mostly about areas I am familiar with-Northeast coast.
This book is about Isobel and she's just turning 16 this summer. Her mother Louise runs the Blueberry Bay Inn at Maine with help from others.
She's agreed to hostess a wedding during the summer for a celebrity. She does not realize that it means a lot more than just having the event at the inn.
At times the wedding planner calls and tells her she must do things like have the right deordant there for the bride, have a lobster boat on the lawn, etc.
Isobel's best friend Gwen takes her shopping to different places and she meets Jeff-one of the high class soceity boys who is home for the summer to help his father with the business.
She dates him and sometimes Gwen accompanies them to the movies or to a farmer's market where there are also crafts and vintage jewelry. Izzy has her own blog to stay in touch with others in her past from MA
where she lived before the divorce happened. Her father has let her down by not spending any time during the summer with her when she was to visit his new family in Newport, RI.
Jeff at times, acts weird and it's almost like he's forcing Izzy to do something she doens't want to do. It causes a rift with Gwen. Other date Izzy sees how he treats others and it's nothing she likes to even be part of.
She talks with her mom about dating him and they talk about sex and birth control, etc. She has a lot of adult choices to make and hope she's had enough guidance along the way to make the right ones...
Love how she realizes there is a problem and how she researches at the library and we hope it's not too late to take action...
I received this book from Library Thing via Kensington Books in exchange for my honest review. ( )
  jbarr5 | Jun 8, 2013 |
Great summer/beach book about the relationship between a mother and daughter and all the complications involved. The characters are honest, likeable and the story is good, if somewhat predictable. I enjoyed it. ( )
  TracyCampbell | Jun 6, 2013 |
This was the first book I have read by Holly Chamberlin, but it definitely won't be the last. Anyone who is a fan of chick lit by authors such as Kristin Hannah or Susan Wiggs would love this book. It is about a mother and daughter who move to Maine to open an inn. The mom is engrossed in planning for a celebrity wedding that will be held at the inn, and the daughter meets and falls in love with a guy from a local wealthy family. The daughter discovers that all is not what it seems to be with him, and has no idea how to get out of the situation. The characters seem so real, you feel as if you have actually met them. This is definitely a must-read! ( )
  lewislibrary | May 28, 2013 |

"At Blueberry Bay Bed and breakfast in Maine, Louise Bessire and her daughter, Isobel, are both anticipating an exciting summer. Louise is hosting an important wedding that could make her business. Isobel is looking forward to writing her style and fashion blog and getting to know charming nineteen-year-old Jeff Otten. As the wedding draws closer, Louise has little time to focus on her daughter. Feeling isolated, especially when her father cancels a long-awaited visit, Isobel falls under Jeff's dynamic spell, with dangerous results. And soon, mother and daughter must find the courage to overcome unexpected challenges through the strength of their shared bond" -- Publisher description.… (more)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Holly Chamberlin's book The Summer Everything Changed was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,996,672 books! | Top bar: Always visible