Dream with Little Angels by Michael Hiebert

Dream with Little Angels

by Michael Hiebert

Series: Abe Teal (1)

3.5. This was a good, fast read. It is more a character study rather than a mystery but the mystery thrown in there made it more interesting and helped to tie all the characters together. I don't usually read the reviews on GR before I start a book because I have found that I am very impressionable but I did happen to catch a few on this one before I began. I am not sure who or where the comparisons to [b:To Kill a Mockingbird|2657|To Kill a Mockingbird|Harper Lee|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1361975680s/2657.jpg|3275794]started but personally I did not see any parallels - I find that to be a silly discussion. I did have a small problem with the ending of the book; I thought the last two chapters were unnecessary but other than that this book was worth the read and I would read this author again. ( )
  Maureen_McCombs | Aug 19, 2016 |
It's 1987 in the fictional town of Alvin, Alabama. Twelve years ago Ruby Mae Vickers disappeared. Leah Teal was a fresh new officer (there's only two and the chief), in the Alvin police department. For three months Leah worked first to find Ruby Mae and to bring her home, and then to solve what she knew had to be a horrific crime.

Twelve years later Leah, now a "detective" in this small southern town, has two children of her own. Headstong 14 year old Caroline, (Carry) and 11 year old Abraham, (Abe), who is the nararator of the story. Two more young girls, 15 year old Mary Ann Dailey and 13 year old Tiffany Michelle Yates disappear from the streets of Alvin. Leah now fears not only for her own children's safety but the safety of the children of the entire town. Matters are not helped that daughter Carry has "discovered boys" and sees no earthly reason a crefew should involve her. Her mother shows her otherwise, which adds some wit to an otherwise nightmareish crime.

Abe and his best friend Dewey have their own ideas about the disappearances, the new neighbor who never leaves the house and as far as the boys think, never goes to the bathroom. Also the disappearing roadkill is a matter of great speculation and concern to them. Abe also begins to question why folks in the town treat the disappearance of a white girl differently than the disappearance of a black girl.

It's a first write for author Michael Hiebert. It's an intriguing story with just the right element of mystery, but...it is also the story of life in a small southern town, the changing views of racism, a mothers struggle to instill integrity in her children and a young boys journey to grow up. 4 stars for a delightful, entertaing read. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
A beautiful southern read!

After reading an advanced reading copy of Hiebert’s latest upcoming book, Close to the Broken Hearted, coming June 24, 2014 (5 Stars), I fell in love with the character, Abe Teal, and could not wait to read Dream with Little Angels. I highly recommend both, as Abe and best friend Dewey, continue with their adventures in this small town of Alvin, Alabama.

The audiobook, narrated by Kirby Heyborne, definitely captured the southern boyish charm, as echoes To Kill a Mockingbird. Both of Hiebert’s books also remind me a little of author, Charles Martin (one of my favorite authors), as his earlier novels are primarily based in southern rural areas of south Georgia, with a small boy or young man living hard lives with life lessons to be learned.

The Teal family consists of Leah, the mom, a widow raising two children, Abe (11 yrs. old) and rebellious teenager Carry (14.5 yrs. old). Leah is also the police detective in this small town, and she tends to get Abe involved in solving her cases. Her dad was formerly with the force, before he died, making sure she was made detective in order to be able to support her family. (She is aware, she has her weaknesses).

However, her son Abe has quite the imagination! When he and his best friend Dewey put their heads together, they are quite the investigative team. Carry is going through her girl drama stage and hormones flying, so not a lot of peace around the house.

An endearing young boy, Abe is very intuitive, and not very trusting of others, which may be because his dad was killed before getting to really know how, he always gets involved in his mom’s police business, and between the drama of his mom and his teenage older sister- who could blame him for creating mysteries as a diversion, as not a lot to do in this small town.

A new man moves in across the street, which Abe and Dewey thinks strange, as the jury is still out about his story, and the duo keep a watchful eye. In the meantime, several young girls go missing, and Leah feels pressure to solve the case. Years ago another little girl wound up murdered and the case was not solved, so she feels guilty and works overtime trying to solve the mystery.

Uncle Henry, comes to stay with them, as Leah does not want to leave the kids alone during this fearful time, until they catch the murderer. He is full of humor and a likable fun character. Henry does not pull any punches and says what is on his mind—Abe hangs on his every word. Hiebert can definitely write humor mixed with mystery.

Behind these horrible murders and missing girls, there is racial tension, molestation, rape, and a long time dark and abusive background involving another little boy and other residents, impacting many lives.

There are all sorts of clues, but each of them may be going in the wrong direction. Abe of course, is very helpful in helping to solve the case and also acts more like a big brother to Carry than the younger.

A coming- of- age riveting story, an excellent debut novel, told from the eleven-year-old Abe’s point of view. A family struggling with balancing the demands of work and home. As also is apparent in the next book, there is a strong bond between mother and son.

A suspenseful story which draws the reader in immediately with his rich authentic characters, which will warm your heart. Unfortunately, the innocence of small town rural living is tainted with horror and tragedy, as Abe is a witness, as has to be front and center, on his road to growing up.

I am giving this one a 4, just because you need somewhere to grow. After reading the next book, you will agree a 5. Both are winners, and look forward to reading more from this author, for years to come. A creative storyteller, which will make you smile and a thought provoking take-away, well after the book ends!
  JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |
I was thrilled to find a new canadian author, so I really wanted to love this book but I can't say I even liked it. Leah Teal as a cop/detective was a joke. As a mother completely unbelievable. Taking her 11 yr to see a dead body, up close enough to look in the eyes, is something any mother would go to extreme lengths to protect her child from.
I also think the author should have wrote a setting he was more familiar with because the southern thing just didn't work. Abe teal was well spoken for his age which made no sense because his detective/mom can barely string a sentence together without the word ain't in it. All in all the whole book just made no sense to me. ( )
  flippinpages | Aug 11, 2014 |
Michael Hiebert's 2013 mystery "Dream with Little Angels" has just about everything going for it but believability. It's got all the suspense one could want in a mystery, plus humor, charm and nice writing. Hiebert tells a good coming-of-age story. Once started, the book truly is hard to put down.

Trouble is, one of the things that makes the novel so compelling, it's 11-year-old narrator, is what makes it a bit hard to swallow. Abe Teal is the son of a small-town police officer trying to find a serial killer who kidnaps and abuses teenage girls before leaving their bodies to be found. Her husband died when Abe was still a baby, and now Leah Teal struggles to raise him and his older sister, scads of trouble now that she has discovered boys, while trying to catch a murderer whose first victim died 12 years before.

One can understand Leah being protective of her kids, but would any police officer really take an 11-year-old to crime scenes? Would she allow him to be present for interviews? And what are the chances the kid would turn out to be a better detective than the detective?

The trick in reading "Dream with Little Angels" is simply to accept that strange things happen (odd behaviors do happen all the time) and accept the novel for what it is, a riveting good story. ( )
  hardlyhardy | Apr 11, 2014 |
For my dad, who never stopped believing in me. Even when it all seemed so fantastic.

and

For my mom, who has read nearly every single word I've ever written. Even the bad ones.
The grass is tall, painted gold by the setting autumn sun.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:44 -0400)

In 1975, thirteen-year-old Ruby Mae Vickers disappears in Alvin, Alabama. Leah Teal, new detective of Alvin, is assigned to the case. After three months, Ruby Mae finally turns up dead beneath a willow beside a swamp. Twelve years later, another little girl goes missing. Then another. Leah is sure these incidents are connected to the one she failed to solve a dozen years ago. The job of finding them again falls to Leah. She's not prepared for the memories it drags up. Then Leah's own daughter joins the list of missing girls. Told from the point of view of Leah's eleven-year-old son Abe, this is a tense and moving story of one woman's search for the truth and justice as she struggles against a past that won't let her go.… (more)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Michael Hiebert's book Dream with Little Angels was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Michael Hiebert is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,745,653 books! | Top bar: Always visible