The Distracted Preacher by Thomas Hardy

The Distracted Preacher (1879)

by Thomas Hardy

A surprisingly fun little romp from The Art of the Novella series. I'm pretty sure this series hasn't steered me wrong yet.

A short-term (substitute) preacher moves to town, only to promptly become infatuated with his landlady - a lonely (young) widow with all kinds of secrets. I wasn't expecting Thomas Hardy to be laugh out loud funny, but this story is.

Charming. ( )
  greeniezona | Dec 6, 2017 |
I may or may not have read "The Mayor of Casterbridge" when I was young, but seeing as I can't remember we'll go with this being my first work by Hardy. I enjoyed it thoroughly. From the Victorian era this is my favourite period of literature to read from and I found Hardy very easy and pleasant to read. This is supposedly uncharacteristic of his usual work in that it is a comedic farce rather than a dark tragedy. I really enjoyed the characters, the play between the sexes, and the minister's finding himself getting deeper and deeper into the nefarious doings. This really spurs me on to wanting to read Hardy's other work as I love dark, Gothic stories and if his other writing is this easy to read I should enjoy it very much. ( )
  ElizaJane | Jun 3, 2013 |
This is for the novella "The Distracted Preacher" only, Do not combine with collections that include other short stories.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,411,643 books! | Top bar: Always visible