Fingal O'Reilly, Irish Doctor by Patrick…

Fingal O'Reilly, Irish Doctor (2013)

by Patrick Taylor

It has been awhile since my last visit to Ballbucklebo, and being there again was lovely. This book hops back and forth between Fingal in his current life and Fingal as a new doctor working in the slums of Dublin. The transitions are handled smoothly, with each trip to the past instigated by something that is happening in the present.

In the portions that take place in Dublin, Fingal has taken a post as a GP (general practitioner), helping an older doctor in the Liberties section of Dublin. The poverty and disease there are terrible and Fingal feels a calling to help alleviate as much as he can. As we have seen in previous books, Fingal's personality is such that he gets deeply involved in the lives of his patients. I loved the way that each one was brought to life, making me feel as if I were standing right at his elbow watching what happens. Fingal also stays close to his medical school friends, which include fun times and also times of great intensity. There are also some interesting bits of medical history slipped in, such as the development of antibiotics and the enormous difference they make, and the later advances in cardiology, such as the invention of the portable defibrillator. On a personal side, Fingal's romance with Kitty continues, but it isn't all smooth sailing. In the end, we finally find out what parted them for so many years.

Back in Ballbucklobo, Fingal and Kitty are back from their honeymoon and settling into married life. It's really sweet to see how happy they are together. Fingal is settling back into his practice after being away on his honeymoon, and catching up on the lives of his patients and neighbors. Besides the day to day illnesses, there are a few more intense moments. A riding accident that causes a broken leg, a mysterious chest pain, and heart trouble for our irascible councilman bring a bit of excitement to the practice.

While Dr. Barry Laverty is away, studying to be an OB/GYN, Fingal has a temporary doctor helping out. She's a lovely young lady doctor, which has some of the residents pretty stirred up. It's a reminder that female doctors were few and far between, and not always readily accepted. I enjoyed seeing Jenny win people over. Fingal is torn because, if Barry elects to return to Ballbucklebo, he will have to let Jenny go, as there isn't enough business for three doctors. As he is a man who likes to fix things, he agonizes over what to do. There's an interesting twist to the end that solves everyone's problems.

Also running through the modern side of the story is housekeeper "Kinky" Kincaid's romance with the local milkman. Their courtship was sweet and I loved following along. There's a great scene with Kinky confessing her worry over what would happen to the household if she marries and leaves the O'Reillys. I also loved her sweetheart's conversation with Fingal near the end of the book.

I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the next four books and catching up. Some of them cover his time in the navy and I can't wait to read all about it. ( )
  scoutmomskf | Aug 5, 2016 |
This isn't a great work of literature but it is very enjoyable. Just the thing to read as winter sets in.

Dr. Taylor has now written 8 books about the Irish G.P., Fingal O'Reilly, who practises in a fictional small town, Ballybucklebo, in Northern Ireland. O'Reilly got married to his first love, Kitty O'Halloran, in the previous book to this one (which I haven't read). They dated in Dublin just after O'Reilly qualified as a doctor in 1936. Fingal went to practise with confirmed bachelor, Dr. Corrigan, who operated as a dispensary doctor in the slums of Dublin. Something happened between Kitty and Fingal and they parted until they met and married thirty years later. In this book we finally learn what went on in Dublin so long ago but we also keep tabs on the happenings in Ballybucklebo in 1965. It would have been helpful if the chapters would have had the date at the beginning. Sometimes it wasn't immediately clear if the chapter was in the past in Dublin or later in Ballybucklebo. However, that is a minor quibble.

Dr. Taylor has a great ear for the various Irish accents and that made it seem like I was sitting right in Ireland (wish I was). The Irish do have a wonderful way with words. I didn't discover until I finished the book that Taylor has included a lengthy glossary of the words that North American audiences might not be familiar with. There are also a few recipes from Mrs. Kincaid, O'Reilly's wonderful cook.

Very enjoyable. ( )
  gypsysmom | Nov 26, 2014 |
To Dorothy
"Our first breakfast together as man and wife in our own home," said Doctor Fingal Flahertie O'Reilly, beaming at the suntanned woman across the table.

Fans of Patrick Taylor's hugely popular Irish Country novels know Dr. Fingal Flahertie O'Reilly as the irascible senior partner of a general practice in the colourful Irish village of Ballybucklebo. Newly married to his long-lost sweetheart, the former Kitty O'Halloran, he's ready to settle into domestic bliss, but there's always something requiring his attention, being it a riding accident, a difficult patient with a worrisome heart condition, a spot of grouse hunting, or even some tricky shenanigans at the local dog races.

Young Dr. Jenny Bradley is acting as Fingal's temporary assistant while Barry Laverty samples life as a trainee specialist. Jenny must struggle to win over conservative villagers who aren't quite ready to accept a lady doctor.

The everyday complications of village life are very different from the challenges Fingal faced nearly thirty years earlier. When fresh out of medical school, the young Dr. O'Reilly accepted a post at the Aungier Street Dispensary, tending to the impoverished denizens of Dublin's tenement slums. Treating the poor proved to be both demanding and satisfying, but Fingal wanted to do more for his struggling patients, like find a job for an out-of-work cooper or teach woefully unprepared mothers how to care for their babies despite their wretched living conditions. Yet even as he tried to make a difference, Fingal's tireless devotion to his practice may have cost him his own true love...

Shifting back and forth between the present and the past, Patrick Taylor's captivating new novel brings to life both the green young man Fingal O'Reilly once was...and the canny village doctor readers have come to know and admire.

"Fans of Taylor's bestselling Irish Country novels know Dr. Fingal Flahertie O'Reilly as the irascible senior partner of a general practice in the colorful Irish village of Ballybucklebo. Newly married to his once long-lost sweetheart, he's ready to settle into domestic bliss, but there's always something requiring his attention, be it a riding accident, a difficult patient with a worrisome heart condition, a spot of grouse-hunting, or even some tricky shenanigans at the local dog races. The everyday complications of village life are very different from the challenges Fingal faced nearly thirty years earlier, when fresh out of medical school, the young Dr. O'Reilly accepts a post at the Aungier Street Dispensary, tending to the impoverished denizens of Dublin's tenement slums. Yet even as he tries to make a difference, Fingal's tireless devotion to his patients may cost him his own true love.... Shifting back and forth between the present and the past, Patrick Taylor's captivating new novel brings to life both the green young man O'Reilly once was and the canny village doctor readers have come to know and admire"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,247,738 books! | Top bar: Always visible