Lord John and the Plague of Zombies by Diana…

Lord John and the Plague of Zombies (2011)

by Diana Gabaldon

I really liked this one. It has all sorts of creepy things that gave me the heebie-jeebies: spiders, snakes, zombies. *Shivers* LJG is super strong for all he goes through and so brave when he just jumps in with both feet. This story is in the Caribbean with all the magic and rituals of the locals and slaves and the scary wildlife. As far as mystery and adventure and just great storytelling, it is excellent, but the best part was learning a true bit of disturbing zombie history. Just Wow—Super read!

4.5 stars

toni

FangirlMoments and My Two Cents

ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |

4.5 stars

toni

FangirlMoments and My Two Cents

ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
Interesting concept, but not well executed. The books in the Lord John series have beeneither a hit or miss....and this one is a miss. The story feels half finished. I found myself flipping through some of the pages to jump to the dialogue because the descriptive text was to lengthy. The dialogue between characters is good, and the character development is fairly decent as well. ( )
  SBShepherd | Oct 16, 2016 |
Definitely my favorite in the Lord John series so far. A heady mix of mystery, history, adventure, the supernatural, and, of course, vivid descriptions of the Caribbean made for a fascinating prelude to Drums of Autumn. Gabaldon's take on zombies is fascinating and unique. I was surprised, because normally, I'm not at all interested in reading stories including or about zombies. ( )
  EllAreBee | Sep 19, 2016 |
A Plague of Zombies– Gabaldon
3 stars

Lord John Grey is featured in this short story for fans of Diana Gabaldon’s Outlander series. It was a good story with Gabaldon’s usual rich description, non-stop action and plenty of humor. The story takes place in Jamaica in the same time period as events in her third book, Voyager. It does, in fact, read like a chapter that may have been edited from Voyager. I think there were some continuity problems between this story and the larger novel, but I can’t be sure of that without a reread of the longer book. No matter. It was a fun diversion and a nice visit with a favorite character.
  msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
There was a snake on the drawing room table.

Lord John brings an armed force to the beautiful but faintly sinister island paradise of Jamaica, where he is ordered to suppress an incipient slave rebellion. The uprising is the least of his problems, what with murder, spiders, snakes, and other deadly creatures. Including, of course, zombies.

In: Down These Strange Streets ed. Gardner Dozois, George R. R. Martin (Ace, 2011)

Lord John Grey, a lieutenant-colonel in His Majesty's army, arrives in Jamaica with orders to quash a slave rebellion brewing in the mountains. But a much deadlier threat lies close at hand. The governor of the island is being menaced by zombies, according to a servant. Lord John has no idea what a zombie is, but it doesn't sound good. It sounds even worse when hands smelling of grave dirt come out of the darkness to take him by the throat. Between murder in the governor's mansion and plantations burning in the mountains, Lord John will need the wisdom of serpents and the luck of the devil to keep the island from exploding.… (more)

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,089,685 books! | Top bar: Always visible