Awakening (Chrysalis) by Elene Sallinger

Awakening (Chrysalis)

by Elene Sallinger

2013-goal (1) 2015 (1) ARC (1) E (1) ebook (1) fiction (1) freebie (1) GR (1) Kindle (1) maybe (1) naughty (1) own-it (1) purchased-to-read (1) read in 2012 (1) series (1) to-read (13)

I thought this story was enticing. I really felt the characters' emotions and needs. Despite the fact that the novel was so short I learned much about the characters: their hang-ups, their dreams, needs, desires, all of it. Together Clair and Evan made a powerful pair and I thoroughly enjoyed reading about their budding wildfire of love. This wasn't very deep into the The darker world they follow but shallow and deep on the true meaning of Dom and Submissive. Learning to love and live again can be a rough road but these two followed it exquisitely. I hope someday I can find a partner whom I can trust as freely and deeply as Clair does. ( )
  mariahsidhe | May 12, 2016 |
3.5 stars ( )
  RowingRabbit | Sep 14, 2014 |
Review to come. ( )
  ChannellingCloretta | Mar 9, 2014 |
Awakening by Elene Sallinger is a stand alone novel. Previously released in the UK, the novel is making its U.S. debut. The erotic novel deals with bondage and submission. If these themes offend you, this is not the novel for you.

Claire Ryan is coming out of a bad marriage. Her abusive marriage fell apart and she blames herself. As a form of punishment, Claire has secluded herself from the world. She lives a very isolated life, her only companion her Pit Bull Terrier Chester. In an effort to rejoin society she joins a romantic book club. Always being a fan of the romance genre she believes a book club will be a great way to start rebuilding her life.

Evan Lang is the widower that owns a cozy, neighborhood book store. He notices Claire when she enters the store out of breath and on the verge of a panic attack. He becomes intrigued by her and is upset by his reactions. Evan still harbors some major feelings of grief regarding the death of his wife. Often confused and, frankly, pissed off about his body's reaction to Claire, he pushes her away and is often rude to her.

Claire and Evan's relationship develops as she begins to piece her life together and try to understand her own body's reaction to the BDSM lifestyle. Claire sexually enjoys pain and it was this reason her marriage fell apart. Claire uses the bookstore's assorted collection on BDSM to satisfy her cravings and need for self-education. Evan, seeing the direction Claire's interests have turned, offers to become her Dom and introduce her safely into the BDSM lifestyle. But they will not have sex. Um....what?! Yes, Evan cannot dishonor his late wife's memory by actually having sex with another person. The BDSM scenes are tastefully done and quite nice to read.

The book is somewhat of a slow burn. Claire is plagued by guilt and has a hard time accepting her own sexual appetites. Evan can't get past his own guilt and fear and constantly pushes Claire away. I won't ruin the book, but I was very pleased at the way things turn out. The ending was a little quick but you get your HEA in an epilogue.

I really enjoyed the way the author wrote. Hell, she had me five pages in when Claire mentioned reading J. R. Ward on her Nook. Two of my favorite things!! Ms. Sallinger you had me at hello...you had me at hello. I recommend this book, giving it four stars. Happy reading smut puppies ( )
  matiah | Oct 7, 2013 |
My interest in this book started with the interesting front cover, and ended with the last page of the story. I love to read a story about a character's adventure as a beginner BDSM-er, so it was no surprise that I enjoyed this story immensely. It also helped that the author was very good a keeping me curious about the characters and the plot, with all those dark secrets she continued to hint at, right from the beginning. I'm just so nosy, I had to keep reading to find out what was hiding in Claire's past. Boy, was I surprised when she finally did unveil what Claire was so ashamed of.

The nice thing about this story is Ms. Salinger didn't drag the secret out like most authors, instead, waited until a reader was hooked, and unleashed Claire's secret. I'm really not surprised this story won a writing contest, and I am super glad it was published.

I enjoyed how instructional this work fiction turned out to be, especially for me. I never knew masochists could be so abusive in relationships, before they find out they're actually masochists, or find out about the BDSM lifestyle. This book was definitely an eye opener for me. It would be a great read for anybody interested in exploring a D/s relationship.

Evan: I love a man who reads, so how awesome is it that Evan own's a bookstore? And where can I find me an Evan? I really did like Evan's character, but I was slightly annoyed by how guilty Evan felt about his attraction to Claire. I understand feeling guilty about falling in love with another lady after your wife dies, but why should you be so wracked by guilt about finding someone else attractive? Maybe it was the fact that he couldn't get it up to his wife's memory anymore, and that made him furious, I dunno. But still, it was frustrating.

Claire: How cute was this chick? She's this lonely, insecure that stays hold up in her house to keep from hurting those around her anymore than she already has. To keep entertained, she reads books and spends time with her Pitbull, Chester. Finally, she works up the courage to join a book club in a bookstore she'd always wanted to stop in. The first time she steps into Bibliophile, she spots the attractive Evan, and it was lust at first site. How lucky is she? I leave my house all the time, and I never run into sex gods. Well, not usually.

Those of you who enjoy a full length BDSM novel about a newbie exploring D/s would love this book. I strongly recommend you pick up a copy and give it a go.

Find more of my reviews at http://kittykatreads.blogspot.com ( )
  sarahkatr | Aug 8, 2013 |

River Rock, Vermont, 2011. This is the story of Claire Ryan and Evan Lang. 35-year-old Claire joins a local book club for romance readers in order to get over the breakdown of her 10-year relationship, there she meets book shop owner Evan, a dominant man who has never recovered from the sudden death of his submissive wife. As their relationship develops and they embark on the path of Claire's submission, it becomes harder and harder for Evan to keep his emotional distance. Claire is open and responsive and he wants her badly, but refuses to let himself go. As Claire falls deeper in love with Evan, she realises that he is holding back and decides to end their relationship, forcing Evan to confront his own past and his feelings in order to save his new love.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,827,530 books! | Top bar: Always visible