The Bunker Diary by Kevin Brooks

The Bunker Diary

by Kevin Brooks

Not sure how to rate this one, so I'm giving it a neutral 3. On one hand, I was riveted and had to stop myself from skipping ahead numerous times. I finished it in one day (and I should have been doing homework).

NO SPECIFIC PLOT SPOILERS AHEAD, BUT DON'T CONTINUE IF YOU WANT A FULL SURPRISE

On the other hand, I felt like the ending was a copout. Like, "I couldn't decide on several plot points so I went with the "and then I woke up and it was all a dream" kind of resolution. Unsatisfying, and not in the way other books with ambiguous or not so happy endings resolve. It was just a pisser. ( )
  Kaytron | Feb 28, 2017 |
Wonderful book, loved everything about this book except the ending. ( )
  scatlett | Nov 28, 2016 |
Relentless grim recounting of boy's abduction and holding in an underground bunker. The boy is joined by others -- an assortment of society folks and ages. The boy, Linus, slowly comes to realize that his parents loved him and that he should go back home. Alas, all of the captured people die --one by one-- including him. Don't hand this book to any one feeling a bit down... ! ( )
  mjspear | Nov 20, 2016 |
Fantastically written, but far too disturbing to write about immediately. Some time to think is needed. ( )
  Debra_Armbruster | Jul 19, 2016 |
I have no words. I read this book quickly and I thought it was a great read. But the ending...I just...nope...no words.

o_o ( )
  Raeadav | Mar 25, 2016 |

"Room" meets "Lord of the Flies", "The Bunker Diary" is award-winning, young adult writer Kevin Brooks' pulse-pounding exploration of what happens when your worst nightmare comes true - and how will you survive? I can't believe I fell for it. It was still dark when I woke up this morning. As soon as my eyes opened I knew where I was. A low-ceilinged rectangular building made entirely of whitewashed concrete. There are six little rooms along the main corridor. There are no windows. No doors. The lift is the only way in or out. What's he going to do to me? What am I going to do? If I'm right, the lift will come down in five minutes. It did. Only this time it wasn't empty...Praise for "The Bunker Diary": "[Kevin Brooks'] pacey plots ...have made him a cult among teens. This, though, is the big one. It should be read by everyone". (Amanda Craig, "The Times"). Kevin Brooks has won the Branford Boase Award and been shortlisted for the Guardian Children's Fiction Award, the Booktrust Teenage Prize, the Manchester Book Award and for the Carnegie Medal (for "Martyn Pig", "Road of the Dead" and "Black Rabbit Summer"). Kevin Brooks was born in Exeter and studied in Birmingham and London. He had a varied working life, with jobs in a crematorium, a zoo, a garage and a post office, before - happily - giving it all up to write books. Kevin is the author of "Being", "Black Rabbit Summer", "Killing God" (published as Dawn in the USA), "iBoy" and "Naked" for Penguin. He now lives in North Yorkshire. If you enjoyed "The Bunker Diary" and want to get inside more of your favourite books, then check out website for exclusive author interviews, competitions and much more.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:53 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Linus Weems, a street person since leaving his wealthy father's home, is kidnapped and taken to an underground bunker where he's soon joined by five others, ranging in age from nine to seventy, who are alternately cared for and tortured by their unseen captor.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,563,321 books! | Top bar: Always visible