The Widow Waltz by Sally Koslow

The Widow Waltz

by Sally Koslow

I have many dog-eared pages in this book because as I read, I quickly realized how much I enjoy Ms. Koslow's descriptions and analogies. She can hit the nail on the head in one quick sharp blow when capturing a fleeting moment's thought. While the story line itself was more along a two-star rating, the author's mastery of narratives earns a four-star rating.

Not an author myself, I am worried that if I attempt to elaborate by quoting the book, then I will fall short by removing the sentences from context. If no other example was more poignant, I thought the second last paragraph is exemplary ...

I have taught myself how to transplant a new branch onto an old one. I am that branch and I am thriving. The last year has begun to
turn into rich compost that nourishes new
dreams. Autumn's first leaves are falling,
golden priority mail reminding us of beauty, even in death. Mother Nature and Father Time have such a bag of tricks.
I do not attempt to summarize in a review; other reviewers do a fine job that I need not rewrite what has already been written well.

Otherwise, I did find this story mellow and "slow" in terms of action and moving the "mystery" of the missing money to a resolution. But, this is not a mystery. This is not a bash-the-dead-lying-deceitful-irresponsible-husband story(even though I wanted to do just that when the page fell out of the dictionary).

This is a story of a wife and two daughters trying to move on after the death of said husband/father. This might be well described as a widow's coming-of-age story.

I received an ARC of this book in a Goodreads Giveaway. As an ARC, there are, indeed, a few typos, but so few as to not overly detract from the story. I am giving my review in appreciation for the gift opportunity of this giveaway. ( )
  olongbourn | Mar 1, 2015 |
The novel starts out with Ben who dies and leaves his wife Georgia (clueless), like a lot of men do when their wives do not participate in the family finances. (Totally do not get this). Even though a health nut, he dies while training in NY for a marathon. Georgia and her daughters discover they are penniless.

Immediately after this discovery, the lawyer sets out to look for hidden assets. After they put the NY apartment on the market, Georgia moves to the beach house where she discovers the whereabouts of those assets. Does she know her husband at all?

Georgia meets a guy and enjoys her time while she is awaiting her grandchild (her daughter is not married and goes back and forth about adoption). There are many challenges with her two daughters and they become friends. Georgia has no job skills so begins searching to find out where her husband spent their investments.

I never connected with the characters in the book and not sure I even liked any of them. Even though lots of words; however, for me it was all about – keep reading and maybe it will be better. Even though the author I am sure is very talented – this book was not for me (the audio was very boring). I may try another book by this author; however, not sure I would recommend this one. ( )
  JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |
Title: The Widow Waltz
Author: Sally Koslow
Publisher: Viking Adult
Genre: Mainstream
Reviewed By: Arlena Dean
Rating: 4
Review:

"The Widow Waltz" by Sally Koslow...

What Is This Book About?

"Georgia Waltz has things many people only dream of: a plush Manhattan apartment overlooking Central Park, a Hamptons beach house, valuable jewels and art, two bright daughters, and a husband she adores, even after decades of marriage. It’s only when Ben suddenly drops dead from a massive coronary while training for the New York City Marathon that Georgia discovers her husband—a successful lawyer—has left them nearly penniless. Their wonderland was built on lies.

As the family attorney scours emptied bank accounts, Georgia must not only look for a way to support her family, she needs to face the revelation that Ben was not the perfect husband he appeared to be, just as her daughters—now ensconced back at home with secrets of their own—have to accept that they may not be returning to their lives in Paris and at Stanford subsidized by the Bank of Mom and Dad. As she uncovers hidden resilience, Georgia’s sudden midlife shift forces her to consider who she is and what she truly values. That Georgia may also find new love in the land of Spanx and stretch marks surprises everyone—most of all, her.

Sally Koslow's fourth novel is deftly told through the alternating viewpoints of her remarkable female protagonists as they plumb for the grit required to reinvent their lives. Inspiring, funny, and deeply satisfying, The Widow Waltz explores in a profound way the bonds between mothers and daughters, belligerent siblings, skittish lovers, and bitter rivals as they discover the power of forgiveness, and healing, all while asking, "What is family, really?"

What I liked from the read....

"The Widow Waltz" was a intricate story that had many twist and turns that you may find hard to believe...but maybe not. I will say this story really take the cake and icing when all is said and done...and that ending leaving only for me to say Wow...I was all caught up in this story until that ending? I will say that this novel was a fast paced read for me because I couldn't put it down once I had started reading from it.

This was truly a story that was woven into many lives with such intermingle with all the discoveries that would be found out in the process of it all was deliciously presented by this author. I liked how this author was able to give us a good read of how this main character (Georgia) was able to deal with her unexpected circumstances of life. This was quite a family of dynamics which involved the widow(Georgia), two, daughters (Luey & Cola), brother (Stephen) and I think even the brothers' partner too. For the heroine along with the daughters had to learn to re evaluate the life they had lived and enjoyed and for a live of change. I did like the interchange between the daughters because I felt it was real.

Be ready for some side stories in the rich tale as Georgia life crumbles, stories about a ring, stolen necklaces, French chefs, rock stars, dog watching...all coming to emotional roll coaster as she finds that she really didn't need her husband to feel useful and or productive. Thank God for that assurance!

What I also liked from the read...

When all is said and done this could be any women who suddenly loses her husband and you are caught having to deal with something like this can really give us something for all to think about.

In the end "The Widow Waltz" showed that change is possible for one through loving and healing.

What gave me cause to wonder ...WHAT IN THE WORLD...JUST HAPPENED????

That ending and I won't spoil it for you but that left me saying W O W and a few more words! Is that believable!...OK...I know it's fiction but really???? ( )
  arlenadean | Jun 25, 2014 |
Koslow paints a vivid picture of a woman coming to grips with the life she is losing while challenging herself to explore a pared down but possibly more meaningful existence. Georgia manages to keep a keen sense of humor as she sorts through her situation and colorful supporting characters, her brother Stephan and her sometimes coherent and crotchety mother, keeps the novel from veering too sharply into gloom. Though Georgia has to move on, finding out what happened to the family money is an ongoing process and whether and how that mystery is resolved is fodder for plenty of consideration and discussion. Recommended. ( )
  daniellnic | Sep 25, 2013 |
Ugh- the heroin of this book is so unlikeable, and I don't believe that was the author's intent. I believe Koslow wants us to feel sympathy for Georgia Silver-Waltz as her husband has died suddenly and it becomes apparent that he has left her and their two daughters penniless, but it is so hard after reading her description of her husband (an adonis) and then herself (she was a real beauty and when she walked with her friends and heads turned she and her friends all knew they were turning to look at her - Oh Please) She has been living a life of privilege and ignorant trusting bliss up to that moment. It comes crashing in when she realizes her beloved husband has been living a double life. All the money is gone, the trust funds for their daughters are gone, the maid and driver are gone.... As she tries to find out where it all went, she discovers disturbing evidence of his "other life". The characters in the story all feel a bit cliche to me and or underdeveloped. Not Koslow's best effort. ( )
  4daisies | Jul 21, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 067002564X, Hardcover)

A husband's secret upends a pampered widow's life, from the author of The Late, Lamented Molly Marx

Sally Koslow’s fourth novel is deftly told through the alternating viewpoints of her remarkable female protagonists as they plumb for the grit required to reinvent their lives. Inspiring, funny, and deeply satisfying, The Widow Waltz explores in a profound way the bonds between mothers and daughters, belligerent siblings, skittish lovers, and bitter rivals as they discover the power of forgiveness, and healing, all while asking, “What is family, really?”

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:31 -0400)

Left penniless and shattered by devastating secrets revealed in the aftermath of her seemingly successful lawyer husband's sudden death, Georgia rallies herself to pursue a new relationship and support her two daughters.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,085,994 books! | Top bar: Always visible