The Milky Way: An Insider's Guide by…

The Milky Way: An Insider's Guide

by William H. Waller

211495,208 (2)None

This book provides a fairly sweeping discussion of the history and nature of the Milky Way. There's a bit of history, a bit of mythology (including some great stuff about babies being snuck into Olympus to suckle on Hera's immortalizing milk while she slept) and quite a lot of science, including science history.

Nonetheless, for reasons I can't quite put a finger on, this book never really grabbed my interest the way I hoped it would. It was a bit of a slog to finish, in fact. Well, I can explain at least why I barely skimmed the last chapter: It was on life in the Milky Way, and, outside of Earth, there is no science of life in the Milky Way. No data to work with and therefore almost no way to falsify hypotheses.

Perhaps the problem is that the scope was too broad, so that everything was treated at too shallow a depth for someone like myself who already knows a bit of astronomy. There's a bit on stellar evolution, a bit on black holes, a bit on cosmology, and so on, but none of it was really deep enough to start to get interesting. Kind of like a Star Wars prequel, I suppose.

It wasn't terrible. It just wasn't good. ( )
  K.G.Budge | Aug 9, 2016 |

This book offers an intimate guide to the Milky Way, taking readers on a grand tour of our home Galaxy's structure, genesis, and evolution, based on the latest astronomical findings. In engaging language, it tells how the Milky Way congealed from blobs of gas and dark matter into a spinning starry abode brimming with diverse planetary systems--some of which may be hosting myriad life forms and perhaps even other technologically communicative species.

William Waller vividly describes the Milky Way as it appears in the night sky, acquainting readers with its key components and telling the history of our changing galactic perceptions. The ancients believed the Milky Way was a home for the gods. Today we know it is but one galaxy among billions of others in the observable universe. Within the Milky Way, ground-based and space-borne telescopes have revealed that our Solar System is not alone. Hundreds of other planetary systems share our tiny part of the vast Galaxy. We reside within a galactic ecosystem that is driven by the theatrics of the most massive stars as they blaze through their brilliant lives and dramatic deaths. Similarly effervescent ecosystems of hot young stars and fluorescing nebulae delineate the graceful spiral arms in our Galaxy's swirling disk. Beyond the disk, the spheroidal halo hosts the ponderous--and still mysterious--dark matter that outweighs everything else. Another dark mystery lurks deep in the heart of the Milky Way, where a supermassive black hole has produced bizarre phenomena seen at multiple wavelengths.

Waller makes the case that our very existence is inextricably linked to the Galaxy that spawned us. Through this book, readers can become well-informed galactic "insiders"--ready to imagine humanity's next steps as fully engaged citizens of the Milky Way.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:28 -0400)

Explores the Milky Way's structure, genesis, and evolution based on astronomical findings, and acquaints readers with the galaxy's key components and the history of changing galactic perceptions.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,263,864 books! | Top bar: Always visible