The Explanation for Everything by Lauren…

The Explanation for Everything (2013)

by Lauren Grodstein

I trudged through this ARC. The characters did not convince me of their genuineness at all. The best part was Rosenblum and Anita, but even that failed to make sense for me. I had wanted to love this too. Disappointing. ( )
  Jackie_Sassa | Nov 20, 2015 |
Professor Andy Waite has dedicated much of his life to the field of evolutionary biology and has poured himself into both his teaching and research since his wife's sudden death at the hands of a drunk driver. When he is approached by Melissa, an impassioned Christian seeking an advisor for her independent study on intelligent design, Andy's first inclination is to refuse. Still driven by the events of his past, Andy soon finds Melissa changing his life - whether he intended her to or not.

I hesitate to say too much about Andy's journey because it's one worth reading in its entirety. Lauren Grodstein's characters feel very real and make the same rash life choices that people do in real life, particularly when they are overcome by guilt or grief. The novel does show several connected characters making the same drastic decisions, which seems a little over the top. Still, The Explanation for Everything manages to tackle some big, heavy topics without ever dropping the weight on readers.

Rather than seeking an answer in the debate over intelligent design, The Explanation for Everything examines how faith, or lack thereof, can be shaken by loss or personal tragedy. While this might come across as an uncommitted resolution to some, it allows Grodstein to write a novel that can appeal to readers from across the religious spectrum. In the end, The Explanation for Everything is thought-provoking and compulsively readable as it focuses on the blurred lines between faith and doubt.

Blog: www.rivercityreading.com ( )
  rivercityreading | Aug 10, 2015 |
I had high hopes for this book, but I was pretty disappointed. It starts with the premise that belief in Darwinian Evolution and belief in a God are mutually exclusive (which I think is false). And then takes flat characters through transitions between those poles that are not terribly moving. In the end, Professor Waite feels that he has done poorly by his student, failing to challenge her beliefs or hold her project to the intellectual standard that he should have. I found myself thinking that I would have much rather read a book in which he had actually done that job. Generally unimpressive, not particularly recommended. ( )
  pursuitofsanity | Jul 6, 2015 |
At about Chapter 9, I started feeling like I was reading a christian faith, spiritual genre book. And somewhat caught by surprise. I have always had a duo belief in evolution and creation - feeling that the truth is a mix of the two -so a spiritual book wouldn't turn me off nor would a scientific thought - Moving on to the ending of the book. I am not sure what the genre of this book is. I think there where questions on morality, God as mercy and justice as well as forgiveness, life and the hereafter, etc... This is definitely a book full of topics for discussion which could get heated on either side. Interesting and worth the read. ( )
  booklovers2 | Feb 21, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As usual I received this book in exchange for a review. Also as usual I'm absolutely candid about it.

My impressions are, on the whole exceptionally positive. It's a complex and well-written tale that touches on many very important aspects of human existence.

Well recommended to anyone who likes a novel that is deep and significant. ( )
  slavenrm | Dec 19, 2014 |
For Ben and Natey, again and always
The first time Andy met Louisa, she was covered in blood.

An atheist widower begins to question his lack of faith after he falls in love with a passionate evangelist.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Lauren Grodstein's book The Explanation for Everything was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,998,912 books! | Top bar: Always visible