Against the Dark (Undercover Associates Book…

Against the Dark (Undercover Associates Book 1)

by Carolyn Crane

719168,809 (3.55)None

This was a fast paced action book with plenty of smexy moments. Agents whose main strengths are their brains but yet still have plenty of brawn make up The Associates. Cole Hawkins has been working undercover to gather information on a shipment of children being shipped over internationally to be used and killed. While on assignment he meets a woman who turns out to be a safecracker whose specialty in safes happens to be the one he needs into to get the name and location of the ship. This was defiantly a different take on the typical bad ass alpha males you typically read in these type of books. Cole’s nerdyness was cute while still having plenty of alpha ways. ( )
  CindySnS | Oct 26, 2016 |
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: A sexy retired jewel thief and a undercover operative are playing a dangerous game, will they win?

Opening Sentence: “Angel Ramirez sipped her club soda and lime, a stand-in for gin and tonic, and carried on a mindless conversation with her old friend Macy.”

The Review:

Angel Ramirez is out of retirement for one reason, her friends need her because she is the only who can crack a Fenton Furst safe. Posing as prostitutes they are looking for diamonds to help out a friend. While there Angel gets her gun taken away by Cole, a member of the Borgola’s security detail. Surprisingly he doesn’t make her, and they proceed with their plan to steal Borgola’s diamonds. They run into some issues, and Angel accidentally leaves some blood behind. Cole it turns out is undercover for the mysterious Association, and turns over a fake blood sample to Borgola and tracks Angel down himself. He plans on forcing her to help him break into the secret safe.

Cole brings Angel into Borgola’s house as his girlfriend, and they find their attraction growing as they get deeper and deeper into their dangerous game. Soon things go south and they find themselves on the run trying to stay one step ahead of Borgola. Will they be able to get away, or will one of them lose their life trying?

This is my first book by this author and I really didn’t know what to expect based on the title alone. So I was pleasantly surprised by the jewel thief and undercover operative premise! The only thing I actually found a little annoying was the author referred to White Jenny as White Jenny every single time she was mentioned. It was kind of like I think we understand after one or two mentions that Jenny is white. That aside, I totally loved Angel, she was smart and clearly more than a little bad ass. I really hated that she wasn’t very self confident and was really lacking in self confidence. I mean I know that is normal for real woman, but I truly appreciate main characters that have a great sense of self no matter what they look like.

Cole was totally swoon-worthy! Also, a self proclaimed nerd, I mean who doesn’t find that hot… Seriously, the sexy times though…whew…. I found myself on the edge of my seat totally rooting for Cole and Angel to kick some major butt. Against the Dark was fast paced and sadly over just too quickly! I wanted more, I don’t know if this is one of those series were each book focuses on different couples’, but I kind of hope we see more of Angel and Cole in the other books!

I am kind of stoked that this book has been out for a few years, because that means the other books are out, at least one or two more and I can binge the rest of the series! So if you are looking for a romance minus the paranormal than this is right up your alley! An engaging fun read that takes you on a fast ride…

Notable Scenes:

“Bad boyfriend radar, they called it.”

“The last straw some five years back had been seeing on of their robbery victims on the news, weeping about the heirloom sapphire set they’d taken and fenced.”

“Cole was more interested in the fact that the thieves had breached a Fenton Furst.”

“For the second time in 24 hours she wished she didn’t have them.”

The voice gave her a quivery kind of creeps.”

“He’d compromised the operation to save somebody on the wrong side of the game.”

“He couldn’t believe it, just the miracle of her, inexplicably, unknowably perfect.”

“For letting him live a life full of meaning.”

FTC Advisory: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform provided me with a copy of Against the Dark. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Apr 15, 2016 |
Very well done romantic suspense. Good story, lot's of action, believable romance. I had trouble putting this book down.
Rating: 9/10 ( )
  Marcella1717 | Jan 22, 2016 |
An evil bad guy. A jerk hero. A woman with low self-esteem. Not my thing. ( )
  AmieB7 | Jan 21, 2016 |
"Angel is an ex-safecracker forced into one last heist. Cole is an undercover agent with big plans for his gorgeous thief -- he'll make her pose as his girlfriend to help with the dangerous mission."
This is a great story of a woman trying to leave her past behind but her compassion for her old teammates brings her back into her old world. (quote from book description). ( )
  treehousereader | Aug 25, 2015 |

Angel Ramirez left the safecracking game five years ago, and she's worked hard to make amends and build an honest life. But when her beloved aunt is kidnapped, she must reunite with her girl gang to acquire the unique ransom: Walter Borgola's prized diamonds. It's a simple job that turns into a nightmare, thanks to a surprisingly clever-and searingly sexy-security guard named Cole Hawkins.Cole, one of the Association's most brilliant agents, is under deep cover investigating a ruthless killer. He's also running out of time: hundreds will die if he doesn't stop the plan that Borgola has set in motion. Catching Angel is the break that Cole needed. He promises not to turn her in if she poses as his lover and uses her unique talents to unlock the sociopath's dungeon vaults. But as pretend passions turn real, Cole regrets drawing Angel into his deadly game . . . and danger is closer than either of them could ever imagine.Contains mature themes.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,367,297 books! | Top bar: Always visible