Library Lion by Michelle Knudsen

Library Lion (original 2006; edition 2009)

by Michelle Knudsen, Kevin Hawkes (Illustrator)

Member:LeafingLight
Title:Library Lion
Authors:Michelle Knudsen
Other authors:Kevin Hawkes (Illustrator)
Info:Candlewick (2009), Edition: 1 Reprint, Paperback, 48 pages
Collections:Picture Books
Tags:library, lion, lions, storytime, books, picture books, pencil drawings

Library Lion by Michelle Knudsen (2006)

English (74)  Catalan (2)  Spanish (2)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (79)
A story about a lion that lives in the library and the struggle to keep him there without the librarian kicking him out
  NatalieCJones | Nov 25, 2015 |
I did like this book because I thought it was a cute story that many younger children would enjoy. The plot itself was very outrageous and fantastical (a lion being in the library) and the writing was done well. What really stood out to me the most about the book were the illustrations. The pictures were done in soft water colors with a variety of colors, giving it a whimsical feel, while still being demure enough to highlight the text. I really think that younger children would enjoy this story more than older children, because it would be at their reading level and they would probably find the plot itself more entertaining. ( )
  rlove2 | Nov 10, 2015 |
A beautiful story and illustrations. This is a must read. I really need to buy a copy of this book, we borrowed it from the library, one of our favorite places to go! ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this book a lot. I liked the humor of the story and how the lion truly loved being in the library and the many things he did. For example, how he dusted the encyclopedias or helped others carry their books around. I also enjoyed the overall story. I enjoyed how everyone missed the lion when he left because he had broken the rules, it literally made me miss the lion. The message of this story is that even good rules may need to be broken for the right reasons. For example when lion roared really loud he was just trying to help a friend who had been hurt, so it was okay to break the rules in the library. ( )
  dvazqu2 | Oct 8, 2015 |
I liked "Library Lion" because it was very well written as well as engaging. Although the story revolved around a lion being in a library and completely human tasks, I liked that Knudsen did not give the lion any dialogue and only let it roar. The language of the book was very clear and the plot of the story moved at a very good pace. We really got to see the lion's routine in the library on a daily basis. The book mentioned how he would spend one day dusting and another licking envelopes. This was a nice story about not always having to follow strictly by the rules. The lion did his best to follow the rules at all times, but broke it when he felt that he needed to. ( )
  blim3 | Sep 24, 2015 |

Michelle Knudsenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hawkes, KevinIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dearden, Carmen DianaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In loving memory of Carol J. Buckley, shining star of the Cornell University Library, who always had room in her heart for a new friend. We miss you. M. K.

To Priscilla, our first personal librarian. K. H.
One day, a lion came to the library.

An affectionate storybook tribute to that truly wonderful place: the library. Miss Merriweather, the head librarian, is very particular about rules in the library. No running allowed. And you must be quiet. But when a lion comes to the library one day, no one is sure what to do. There aren't any rules about lions in the library. And, as it turns out, this lion seems very well suited to library visiting. His big feet are quiet on the library floor. He makes a comfy backrest for the children at story hour. And he never roars in the library, at least not anymore. But when something terrible happens, the lion quickly comes to the rescue in the only way he knows how.

An affectionate storybook tribute to that truly wonderful place: the library.

Miss Merriweather, the head librarian, is very particular about rules in the library. No running allowed. And you must be quiet. But when a lion comes to the library one day, no one is sure what to do. There aren't any rules about lions in the library. And, as it turns out, this lion seems very well suited to library visiting. His big feet are quiet on the library floor. He makes a comfy backrest for the children at story hour. And he never roars in the library, at least not anymore. But when something terrible happens, the lion quickly comes to the rescue in the only way he knows how. Michelle Knudsen's disarming story, illustrated by the matchless Kevin Hawkes in an expressive timeless style, will win over even the most ardent of rule keepers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:06 -0400)

A lion starts visiting the local library but runs into trouble as he tries to both obey the rules and help his librarian friend.

Michelle Knudsen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763622621, 076363784X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,254,874 books! | Top bar: Always visible