Library Lion by Michelle Knudsen

Library Lion (original 2006; edition 2009)

by Michelle Knudsen, Kevin Hawkes (Illustrator)

Title:Library Lion
Authors:Michelle Knudsen
Other authors:Kevin Hawkes (Illustrator)
Info:Candlewick (2009), Edition: 1 Reprint, Paperback, 48 pages
Collections:Picture Books
Tags:library, lion, lions, storytime, books, picture books, pencil drawings

Library Lion by Michelle Knudsen (2006)

English (71)  Catalan (2)  Spanish (2)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (76)
I liked "Library Lion" because it was very well written as well as engaging. Although the story revolved around a lion being in a library and completely human tasks, I liked that Knudsen did not give the lion any dialogue and only let it roar. The language of the book was very clear and the plot of the story moved at a very good pace. We really got to see the lion's routine in the library on a daily basis. The book mentioned how he would spend one day dusting and another licking envelopes. This was a nice story about not always having to follow strictly by the rules. The lion did his best to follow the rules at all times, but broke it when he felt that he needed to. ( )
  blim3 | Sep 24, 2015 |
I loved reading this book! Not only is it because I love lions but the whole story was adorable. Other books I’ve read about lions are either about lions being mean or about how scary lions are. However, in this book, those views were changed. I think the fact that the story was taken place in the library helped a lot too. The librarian did not care who came in the library unless they followed the rules. Libraries are supposed to be calm and quiet but with a lion in the building, that turns the story around. The story starts out with everyone freaking out about the lion being in the library but they soon realize that all he wants to do is hear the story time. I also loved seeing how much the librarian and lion cared for each other. Each day around story time, the lion would come and listen to the story and then help his new friend, Miss. Merriweather, with chores around the library. This story shows that not all lions are mean; they can be helpful as well. The part in the story that most got to me was when the lion left the library. The lion knew the rules and did everything he could do to follow those specific rules. However, Miss. Merriweather fell and needed help. The lion ran to Mr. Mcbee but he wouldn’t listen. Finally, the lion roared in his face to get his attention. The lion knew he had broken the rules so he left the library sad as can be. I found this part sad because even though the lion knew the rules, he was willing to break them and serve any consequences if it meant he was helping someone else. Overall, the moral of this story is to not judge a book by the cover. Everyone was so worried about the lion being in the library when really he turned out to be a friend, a helper, and a lifesaver for Miss. Merriweather and others. ( )
  Jvoorh1 | Sep 22, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this cute story about a lion in the library. I enjoyed the physical appearance of the book with the soft colors and the simple pencil drawings. For example, the illustrator used light colors like a light purples and yellows to create a relaxing calm read. These simple details give the book a focus on the storyline.
I also enjoyed the idea of how the author incorporated a message for how to accept everybody. The story takes place in a library and a lion walks in who you would not expect to be in a library. The story continues to allow the lion to stay in the library as long as he follows the rules. The reader can compare this to real life by accepting those who may not seem to fit in.
The big idea in this story is that sometimes it is ok to break the rules. In specific situations where you are not hurting an individual you can break the rules for a good reason. ( )
  Toconn2 | Apr 17, 2015 |
I liked this book because of how the author used animals to portray an important life lesson for children to understand. The authors main message was that sometimes, it is okay to break the rules for good purposes. In this case, it is when the librarian had broken her arm, and needed the lion to relay the message for help. I also liked how the author made the main character so sweet to the lion to understand that everyone on earth has a different purpose in what they must fulfill. This book was also great at providing humor throughout the book, by animating the Lion, and all that he does. The author personifies him very well. I would definitely recommend this book for anyone wanting to engage reluctant readers to the Library. ( )
  kbarry9 | Mar 30, 2015 |
I like this book for several reasons. One reason I like this book is the plot. This story is about a lion that comes to the library. Everyone is not sure how to react but the librarian said if he is not breaking any rules than he is fine. The lion turned out to be a good helper. This plot brings out the imagination in young children by having a lion in the library with everyone else. Another reason I like this book is the characters. The lion did not let the other people keep him from coming to the library and enjoying himself. The lion also helped the librarian when she needed it. Children can learn how to be a good helper to others from the lion's character. The illustrations are another reason why I like this book. The illustrations are very detailed. For example the library books have titles on them and each character's face matches the emotions they are feeling during the story. The big idea of the story is that there are time where it is ok to break the rules such as when someone needs help. ( )
  lbrink2 | Mar 17, 2015 |

Michelle Knudsenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hawkes, KevinIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dearden, Carmen DianaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In loving memory of Carol J. Buckley, shining star of the Cornell University Library, who always had room in her heart for a new friend. We miss you. M. K.

To Priscilla, our first personal librarian. K. H.
One day, a lion came to the library.

When a lion comes to the library one day, no one is sure what to do. There are no rules about lions in the library. When something terrible happens, the lion quickly comes to the rescue in the only way he knows how.

An affectionate storybook tribute to that truly wonderful place: the library.

Miss Merriweather, the head librarian, is very particular about rules in the library. No running allowed. And you must be quiet. But when a lion comes to the library one day, no one is sure what to do. There aren't any rules about lions in the library. And, as it turns out, this lion seems very well suited to library visiting. His big feet are quiet on the library floor. He makes a comfy backrest for the children at story hour. And he never roars in the library, at least not anymore. But when something terrible happens, the lion quickly comes to the rescue in the only way he knows how. Michelle Knudsen's disarming story, illustrated by the matchless Kevin Hawkes in an expressive timeless style, will win over even the most ardent of rule keepers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:06 -0400)

A lion starts visiting the local library but runs into trouble as he tries to both obey the rules and help his librarian friend.

Michelle Knudsen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763622621, 076363784X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,708,068 books! | Top bar: Always visible