Library Lion by Michelle Knudsen

Library Lion (original 2006; edition 2009)

by Michelle Knudsen, Kevin Hawkes (Illustrator)

Member:LeafingLight
Title:Library Lion
Authors:Michelle Knudsen
Other authors:Kevin Hawkes (Illustrator)
Info:Candlewick (2009), Edition: 1 Reprint, Paperback, 48 pages
Collections:Picture Books
Tags:library, lion, lions, storytime, books, picture books, pencil drawings

Library Lion by Michelle Knudsen (2006)

Recently added bycesdemo, HeadwatersSprings, mariah.smith, private library
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding

English (85)  Catalan (2)  Spanish (2)  Hungarian (1)  English (90)
a lion comes into the library one day and everyone loves him. he is wonderful with everyone but one day he roars at the man in charge cause someone was hurt so the man in charge made him leave. the man in charge changed his mind and let the lion back in.
1 book
  TUCC | Nov 18, 2016 |
This is a very well-written story about a lion and the library. Many connections and lessons can be taught through reading this book. The lion does not talk in this book, which makes it less fantasy like and more realistic. Even though it is very unrealistic to have a library in the lion, and to have a lion be as well behaved as the lion is in the book! This book shows a great life lesson for students to not judge others too quickly; as the people in the story did with the lion. I would definitely have this book in my classroom for my students to read.
  Jaymand | Nov 1, 2016 |
Library Lion is an excellent children's book. It teaches children important rules in a way where the children are also entertained. This is what makes this book so great! As soon as a child hears the word "rules" they probably aren't too excited about it. However, this book is able to teach its readers lessons in a fun and interesting way involving rules. Normally you don't see a lion in a library which is what makes this book so different. Nonetheless, do you ever see a child leaning against a lion for a backrest while reading. This was my favorite part because I know children love to read with stuffed animals and they could relate to this.

Library Lion also lets children know it's okay to speak up if something has gone wrong and not to feel ashamed if you did the right thing by helping someone out. Even though the lion broke the rule on no yelling, he had a reason. That's when the library changed the rule to "No roaring aloud unless you have a very good reason!" This lets children know in case of emergency's you can reach out to someone and may have to break the rules. However, you will not be in trouble. ( )
  mwatki5 | Sep 22, 2016 |
This book is a great example of an award winning book. Its theme is like no other and is ultimately a great lesson to students. I believe that it being awarded the picture book of the year is remarkable, however, I believe that it should have received more than one award.
  KatieScudellari | Sep 8, 2016 |
I really enjoyed reading this book because I think it has a great message for kids. Although there are rules in place at school or in the library, sometimes we have to break have to break those rules, in order to either get help or call attention someone real quick. I loved reading this book to my students because I love seeing their reactions and their imaginations go as they think of lions being in the library.
  mjmorr9390 | Sep 7, 2016 |

Michelle Knudsenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hawkes, KevinIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dearden, Carmen DianaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In loving memory of Carol J. Buckley, shining star of the Cornell University Library, who always had room in her heart for a new friend. We miss you. M. K.

To Priscilla, our first personal librarian. K. H.
One day, a lion came to the library.

An affectionate storybook tribute to that truly wonderful place: the library. Miss Merriweather, the head librarian, is very particular about rules in the library. No running allowed. And you must be quiet. But when a lion comes to the library one day, no one is sure what to do. There aren't any rules about lions in the library. And, as it turns out, this lion seems very well suited to library visiting. His big feet are quiet on the library floor. He makes a comfy backrest for the children at story hour. And he never roars in the library, at least not anymore. But when something terrible happens, the lion quickly comes to the rescue in the only way he knows how.

An affectionate storybook tribute to that truly wonderful place: the library.

Miss Merriweather, the head librarian, is very particular about rules in the library. No running allowed. And you must be quiet. But when a lion comes to the library one day, no one is sure what to do. There aren't any rules about lions in the library. And, as it turns out, this lion seems very well suited to library visiting. His big feet are quiet on the library floor. He makes a comfy backrest for the children at story hour. And he never roars in the library, at least not anymore. But when something terrible happens, the lion quickly comes to the rescue in the only way he knows how. Michelle Knudsen's disarming story, illustrated by the matchless Kevin Hawkes in an expressive timeless style, will win over even the most ardent of rule keepers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:06 -0400)

A lion starts visiting the local library but runs into trouble as he tries to both obey the rules and help his librarian friend.

Michelle Knudsen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763622621, 076363784X

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,700,823 books! | Top bar: Always visible