Library Lion by Michelle Knudsen

Library Lion (original 2006; edition 2009)

by Michelle Knudsen, Kevin Hawkes (Illustrator)

Member:LeafingLight
Title:Library Lion
Authors:Michelle Knudsen
Other authors:Kevin Hawkes (Illustrator)
Info:Candlewick (2009), Edition: 1 Reprint, Paperback, 48 pages
Collections:Picture Books
Tags:library, lion, lions, storytime, books, picture books, pencil drawings

Library Lion by Michelle Knudsen (2006)

English (69)  Catalan (2)  Spanish (2)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (74)
I really enjoyed this cute story about a lion in the library. I enjoyed the physical appearance of the book with the soft colors and the simple pencil drawings. For example, the illustrator used light colors like a light purples and yellows to create a relaxing calm read. These simple details give the book a focus on the storyline.
I also enjoyed the idea of how the author incorporated a message for how to accept everybody. The story takes place in a library and a lion walks in who you would not expect to be in a library. The story continues to allow the lion to stay in the library as long as he follows the rules. The reader can compare this to real life by accepting those who may not seem to fit in.
The big idea in this story is that sometimes it is ok to break the rules. In specific situations where you are not hurting an individual you can break the rules for a good reason. ( )
  Toconn2 | Apr 17, 2015 |
I liked this book because of how the author used animals to portray an important life lesson for children to understand. The authors main message was that sometimes, it is okay to break the rules for good purposes. In this case, it is when the librarian had broken her arm, and needed the lion to relay the message for help. I also liked how the author made the main character so sweet to the lion to understand that everyone on earth has a different purpose in what they must fulfill. This book was also great at providing humor throughout the book, by animating the Lion, and all that he does. The author personifies him very well. I would definitely recommend this book for anyone wanting to engage reluctant readers to the Library. ( )
  kbarry9 | Mar 30, 2015 |
I like this book for several reasons. One reason I like this book is the plot. This story is about a lion that comes to the library. Everyone is not sure how to react but the librarian said if he is not breaking any rules than he is fine. The lion turned out to be a good helper. This plot brings out the imagination in young children by having a lion in the library with everyone else. Another reason I like this book is the characters. The lion did not let the other people keep him from coming to the library and enjoying himself. The lion also helped the librarian when she needed it. Children can learn how to be a good helper to others from the lion's character. The illustrations are another reason why I like this book. The illustrations are very detailed. For example the library books have titles on them and each character's face matches the emotions they are feeling during the story. The big idea of the story is that there are time where it is ok to break the rules such as when someone needs help. ( )
  lbrink2 | Mar 17, 2015 |
I enjoyed reading this book because of the way the author developed his characters to make them people (and animals) every audience could relate to. The lion and the librarians were described especially well to then teach the audience proper library behavior. The lion started as a character who posed as a threat to people in the library, but soon became loved by all as the lion's passion for stories became more apparent. The illustration paint a picture for the audience and keep the readers engaged. My favorite aspect of this story was the overall message that even though there are rules in place, it's okay to break them if there is good reason and it's to help a friend in need. ( )
  ajohns75 | Mar 5, 2015 |
In my opinion, I liked this book for two reasons. First, I enjoyed the plot. The lion is a misfit in the library and goes though some hard times trying to obtain the acceptance of others and follow certain rules. The plot has a clear conflict and resolution. The lion eventually learns how to follow the rules and becomes friends with the head librarian. Secondly, I thought the illustrations enhanced the story by setting the mood throughout the plot. For example, when the lion left the library because he broke the rules, he didn't show up for days. Finally, Mr. McBee went to look for the lion and found him outside the library looking in. It was raining and lion was very sad. All of this was evident just within the illustrations because lions reflection was shown in the library windows. The graphics sets the mood that lion is sad, and he is having a bad day because it is raining on him. The overall message of this book is that "sometimes there are good reasons to break the rules", as Mrs. Merriweather said. ( )
  sott3 | Mar 5, 2015 |

Michelle Knudsenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hawkes, KevinIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
In loving memory of Carol J. Buckley, shining star of the Cornell University Library, who always had room in her heart for a new friend. We miss you. M. K.

To Priscilla, our first personal librarian. K. H.
One day, a lion came to the library.

When a lion comes to the library one day, no one is sure what to do. There are no rules about lions in the library. When something terrible happens, the lion quickly comes to the rescue in the only way he knows how.

An affectionate storybook tribute to that truly wonderful place: the library.

Miss Merriweather, the head librarian, is very particular about rules in the library. No running allowed. And you must be quiet. But when a lion comes to the library one day, no one is sure what to do. There aren't any rules about lions in the library. And, as it turns out, this lion seems very well suited to library visiting. His big feet are quiet on the library floor. He makes a comfy backrest for the children at story hour. And he never roars in the library, at least not anymore. But when something terrible happens, the lion quickly comes to the rescue in the only way he knows how. Michelle Knudsen's disarming story, illustrated by the matchless Kevin Hawkes in an expressive timeless style, will win over even the most ardent of rule keepers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:06 -0400)

A lion starts visiting the local library but runs into trouble as he tries to both obey the rules and help his librarian friend.

Michelle Knudsen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763622621, 076363784X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,015,245 books! | Top bar: Always visible