Hyacinth (Book #2 in the Svatura Series) by…

Hyacinth (Book #2 in the Svatura Series)

by Abigail Owen

Series: Svatura (2)

91950,433 (4)None

[A PDF ARC file was provided by the author for review purpose. Thanks Abigail!]

"You were tied too closely to the worst moment of my life, and I wouldn't let myself get past that."
—Griffin

What was more surprising than finding your name written on a book? None.
When I first opened this, it truly had shocked me that my name, as well as a few lines from my review for Blue Violet was written under the "What people are saying about Blue Violet!". It truly is an honor, Abigail!

Ever since I finished reading Blue Violet in one sitting, a question had been haunting me since. How would Selene and Griffin worked out together as Vyusher and Svatura? And in this book, Abigail Owen had finally answered it in such an unpredictable way, I found it to be really satisfying and amazing.

Hyacinth took place one year after Blue Violet finished, with Selene taking over her brother throne as a Vyusher Queen, and Allie and Griffin continued their life with their new-founded family. But things never ran smoothly in life, and just as soon as Selene began to settle into her new royal status, she was once again forced to take action when a constant nightmares about her killing innocent people plagued her sleep, and her Vyusher people doubted her as Gideon's sister. Moving out to Estes Park where Ellie's and Griffin's Svatura family resided in hope to get away from the nightmares, Selene soon came into realization that her dream wasn't just a mere dream. When an unexpected enemies came and her throne was in danger, what would she do to keep her clan and her new friend safe? And if keeping them safe means she would have to bend all the rule, what would she choose?

I was pretty much in love with this book even since it's first chapter. The way it opened with Selene's nightmare, how her urge to kill someone controlled her, and the helplessness she was feeling, it was all very interesting and believable, and it did instantly pull me into the story.
The pacing of this book was great also, with less sagging—although there were still some minor sagging here and there—and a fast-paced, intertwined events that would keep us flipping the book for more, while still provided us with enough detail.

In this book, I found that the character were slightly more developed than the first one. At first, the Svatura—except for Ellie and Griffin—was pretty much two-dimensional and flat. As the story went on, their personality was slowly developing and became believable, especially Adelaide and Lila. Hugh and Lucy, however, still showed the same flatness from the previous book.
Selene, as our main character, was probably the most interesting character from this series so far. I really love how her personality stood out from the other, and how she seemed to be someone who was not even her at all. At first, she was portrayed as a tough and cold girl, rarely showing any emotion at all. But then we got a glimpse at her true character and how she truly felt inside, and how her emotion and what she said constantly conflicted with each other. It was very refreshing to read from her perspective, and although she was quite reserved for a main character—the one we should know inside out—she was really intriguing and very believable.
Griffin Aubrey, our other main character as well as Selene's counterpart, was showing some development here as well, and I love how he showed a lot more emotion than before. His life was not devoted solely to Ellie anymore, and when he had a problem and life on his own, it actually opened his character up. When Selene first arrived at Estes Park, he didn't trust her even one bit, and I think it really showed his personality—and his flaw—of being a hard-headed and guy who held grudge toward other. Sure, it wasn't really nice to read, but he had a real and visible flaw, and that was what made it easy to relate with him, because he seemed flesh and bone, and moreover, human.

But although this book was quite great and interesting on overall, that was not really the case with the ending. Not that the ending was boring or what, I thought that it was just to flat and typical, way too common and not really surprising. I actually love how it was all solved in quite an unpredictable way, but when it actually come to the real ending, it felt a little bit anti-climatic. The reason why the ending headed down that way (And I can't really write it down here, since it would be all spoiler) didn't feel really strong and solid as well, more like way too coincidental and a little bit too forced.

Overall, if you love to read about a refreshing urban-fantasy with a great character, great plot, and the story line that would keep you reading page after page, you should definitely give this one a try ( )
  NeysaKristanti | May 5, 2013 |

Selene sacrificed everything when she took her brother's place as ruler of the Vyusher-including her secret love for one-time adversary Griffin Aubrey. When nightmares that are just a little too real start, Selene fears she's turned into a cold-blooded killer...the monster Griffin thinks she is. Griffin and Ellie Aubrey are finally safe for the first time in over a hundred years, and Griffin doesn't want to easily forgive the woman he blames for killing his family. But when an unknown menace drives Selene to leave her people and seek their help, Griffin must decide. Can he move past his hatred of everything she is? Or will the bond that could bring them both the greatest joy now be the source of their deepest despair?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,596,229 books! | Top bar: Always visible