2:20 by Holly Hook
2013515,329 (3.61)None

I received this book in exchange for an honest review. Book one in this series has more twist and turns than you can throw a rock at but it works. Holly is the queen of twist as she takes you on this time travel mind boggling adventure. Time, Love, Family and loss of memory make this journey memorable. Can't wait to see what adventures are next for these two as they seek to outdo time! ( )
  thicks | Nov 19, 2015 |
Julia has frightening nightmare every night waking up at exactly 2:20 A.M. and usually unable to go to sleep afterwards. Julia doesn't know what these nightmares mean but if she doesn't get some sleep soon she's going to go crazy. Julia's date for The Spring Formal is acting strange and unsure why. Frank and Isabel together attempt to return Julia to her own time but Julia escapes them. Frank and Isabel are members of Timeless sent to retrieve people in the wrong time like Julia. Simon appears to have the answers Julia needs to figure out her nightmares. Will Frank and Isabel send Julia back? Can Julia really trust Simon? What do her nightmares really mean? Your answers await you in 2:20.

I wasn't sure of the concept for the book until I reached the halfway point. I found the characters to be interesting and compelling. The Story was cleverly told. I would read more of this author's work in the future. ( )
  WolfFaerie17 | Nov 23, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book... For me it was a quick read.. will look for more by this author ( )
  dstawarz | Apr 25, 2014 |
Goodreads Description:
"Please," Simon says, his pause marked by his face drawing closer to mine. "You can't remember what time you're from, but trust me, you don't want to return there."
2:20 (Timeless Trilogy, Book One)
When a date to the high school dance goes terribly wrong, Julia learns that her past may not be what she thought. The mystery deepens when Simon shows up and claims that they shared that past in another, more terrifying time...and warns that a powerful force wants to send her back.
Julia grows closer to Simon as she works to discover her true life. Unfortunately, both he and the truth could kill her.

Opinions:
2:20 is the first book in the Timeless trilogy. The story follows Julia as she experiences nightmares of her death at 2:20 am. She tries to figure out the meaning behind it. She gathers a few clues during the school dance at the beginning of the book – realizing there are people called the Timeless that are trying to put her back into her past or rather her nightmare and death. She meets a new student at her school named Simon, who tries to help her figure out her past. Can she figure out her past in time? Can she change her past before she dies?

Characters:
The story is written in first person following Julia. Julia is a teenager who has had a rough past. Her mother was a drunk and now she lives with Nancy – her stepmother. She is saving up to go to college (by working at a daycare) and trying to set her future right. Every night she has a nightmare that she is falling and a guy is trying to catch her. However, he is saved and she dies – waking up. Yes, she wakes up at 2:20. Simon is a new student who knows what is happening to Julia, but he is unable to tell exactly what it is. Simon is a nice guy who shares her past. He truly tries to help her throughout the book.

Plot:
The plot follows Julia as she learns about her nightmare and why 2:20 is so important. The last half of the book picks up in action. It’s the sort of story where you kind of know what will happen, but exactly how it will pan out with the characters is not so clear. I won’t say much more to avoid spoilers. It was a quick read for me and really got my attention when Julia understood about her death and her fight to change it. I think there could have been one or two more sentences at the end. It felt slightly cut off. Don’t worry. It wasn’t an unfinished story – more like an unfinished paragraph.

The Bottom Line:
Overall, I enjoyed the book. If you like young adult books with time travel, mystery, and a little paranormal storyline, then you might like this book. ( )
  Maria1010 | Jul 9, 2013 |
2:20 had a interesting premise. However the execution was slightly lacking. The beginning was a bit dull, but things did pick up after the halfway point. Julia's interaction with the characters was odd. She believed Frank & Isabella too quickly to be realistic. As for Simon, she trusted him and felt way more comfortable around him than an acquaintance should, even to the point of kissing. I understand why, but at that point, she didn't have her memories back, so that scene could have waited, even if it 'felt right.' Julia said on more than one occasion that Simon spoke in an old-fashioned way. I didn't see that in what I read. He just didn't use slang, is all. The twist I didn't see coming, surprisingly, which intrigued me. The clues given, with no preconceived notion on the readers' part, really didn't make the truth obvious. Those few factors could have belonged anywhere, anytime. It was good as far as surprises go, but as for trying to figure out the mystery while reading along, they didn't help much. The story ends rather abruptly, laying way for the sequel I suppose.
All in all, 2:20 was a very interesting idea. With a little more work it could be amazing.

I received a free copy from the author for a review. ( )
  AmaiK | May 22, 2013 |

Holly Hook is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,436,315 books! | Top bar: Always visible