Invasion of the Body Snatchers by Jack…

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (original 1955; edition 1961)

by Jack Finney (Author)

Member:GeoffHabiger
Title:Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Authors:Jack Finney (Author)
Info:Dell (1961), Edition: PBO First Edition, 191 pages
Rating:***
Tags:science fiction, classics, invasion, invaders, pod people, pods

The Body Snatchers by Jack Finney (1955)

The Tommyknockers by Stephen King (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: Another book that deals with a sinister alien force that slowly possesses a small town.
    Salem's Lot by Stephen King (LamontCranston)
    LamontCranston: 'Salems Lot is a better recommendation than The Tommyknockers for it is as much about the death of the town as it is the slow take over.
    The Stepford Wives by Ira Levin (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: Automatons in an idyllic setting.
    Night of the Living Dead by John Russo (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: Alienating apocalypse
    The Sand Men by Christopher Fowler (ShelfMonkey)

English (45)  Italian (2)  Danish (2)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All (51)
This is the book the famous movie was based on, and is a great concept, but I was initially disappointed in the quality of writing. It did improve though, and wasn't a bad read overall. ( )
  AngelaJMaher | Jun 18, 2018 |
Prior to reading Finney's book, my only experience was from the 1950's era movie, which I have always enjoyed. The story that Finney creates of Dr. Miles Bennell, suddenly thrust into the midst of a series of strange occurrences and coincidences is an easy one for the reader to follow and understand. People in the town of Mill Valley are just not...right. They are the people, but relatives close to them swear they are not the REAL person. Miles is forced into the midst of a growing hysteria, that he discovers to be true. People are being taken over and replaced by impostors. What I loved about the story is that Miles is quick to catch on to what is going on in the town, and is determined to fight what is happening, as best as he can. The story is good, while Finney can get bogged down a bit inside Miles' head with his thoughts and fears. My biggest disappointment is the ending - which I won't spoil here - however I feel as if Finney had written himself into a corner with his characters and was forced between two choices on how to end it. The one he wrote felt like a cop out to me - and when you read this you may see the same thing. Otherwise, I did enjoy the book, even if the movie version differed a bit from the story. ( )
  GeoffHabiger | Jun 13, 2018 |
Even though the writing's quite clunky in places and the ending is dissatisfying, Invasion of the Body Snatchers is still a fun creepy story. I'm very curious now as to how different the original version is from the one I read (published in the '70s and noticeably updated in spots). ( )
  MFenn | Apr 22, 2018 |
A great read!! ( )
  Omegawega | Apr 1, 2018 |
What would you do if the people you've known for your whole life weren't the people you thought they were? In this sci fi novel Dr. Miles is face with this horrifying question. Finney keeps you guessing right up to the end. I listened to the audiobook of this and Kristoffer Tabori was the absolute perfect narrator to give this story a voice. I wish I would have read/listened to this book earlier in life. ( )
  Tiffy_Reads | Mar 19, 2018 |

Jack Finneyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Tabori, KristofferNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilson, George K.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I warn you that what you're starting to read is full of loose ends and unanswered questions.
For me it began around six o'clock, a Thursday evening, October 28, 1976, when I let my last patient - a sprained thumb - out the side door of my office, with the feeling the day wasn't over for me.
A shorter version of this work originally appeared in Collier's magazine and an expanded edition was first published in 1955 under the title 'The Body Snatchers'.  This is a revised and updated edition; to tie-in with the 1978 film version.

ANY BODY WOULD DO ...

The people in Santa Mira didn't feel at all. One by one, they were being transformed into men and women totally devoid of human emotion. Men and women who looked like themselves, acted like themselves, but were not themselves.

There was no comprehending the steadily increasing horror, it went beyond the scope of human experience - and there seemed no stopping it ...
    --------------------------------

IT CAME BY NIGHT

"Doctor, this is going to sound crazy, but I'm convinced my wife isn't my wife. The woman I'm living with looks like my wife, talks like her, even acts like her, but I know she isn't my wife,"

Within a week, eight more frightened, confused patients told Dr Miles Bennell the same story, He didn't believe it.

Until, one night, he realized that something strange and horrible was lying all around his town, hidden in secret places.

It wanted him, too, and he knew it.
Pods from outer space
Make duplicates of people
To conquer the world.
(yoyogod)

On a quiet fall evening in the small, peaceful town of Mill Valley, California, Dr. Miles Bennell discovered an insidious, horrifying plot. Silently, subtly, almost imperceptibly, alien life-forms were taking over the bodies and minds of his neighbors, his friends, his family, the woman he loved -- the world as he knew it.

First published in 1955, this classic thriller of the ultimate alien invasion and the triumph of the human spirit over an invisible enemy inspired three major motion pictures.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:05 -0400)

On the surface, everything in Mill Valley appeared the same to Dr. Miles Bennell, but some mysterious force is changing the town and killing it slowly.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,378,939 books! | Top bar: Always visible