Darkness of Light by Stacey Marie Brown

Darkness of Light

by Stacey Marie Brown

ABR's original Darkness Of Light audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Darkness of Light is the first book in a paranormal romance series which is classified as New Adult. The series consists of four books in total.

The main character, Ember Brycin, is a bit of an outsider due to her unusual appearance (she has two different colored eyes) and due to the fact that things tend to explode around her. She also has hallucinations, or that is what she assumes they are. After the latest explosion at her school, Ember is sent to a juvenile facility where she meets the mystifying Eli Dragen, whom she feels instantly attracted to.

Ember and Eli have this love/hate relationship going on which was quite entertaining. Eli was totally unpredictable and could change from bad ass, cocky biker boy to really quite charming, protective and helpful in seconds. The banter between Ember and Eli was fun. Dry humor, sarcastic comments and a heroine who can’t help but say what she thinks.

The romance was clean and in my opinion, would have been suitable even for a younger age group. But there is the hint of a potential love triangle to be developed in the series, so who knows where this will go. In book one, there is nothing more than a few kisses.

For the majority of this book, Ember is trying to work out who and what she is. There were lots of clues to an otherworldly existence around her, but Ember was very slow on the uptake, a bit too naive, really. Therefore, the main action does not really start until about three quarters through the book, when things are finally revealed to her and Ember starts on a dangerous quest where she has no idea whom she can really trust.

Ember has two good friends at school and lives with her stepdad Michael. Her Mum was killed some years ago. Then there is Torin, who initially appears in Ember’s dreams, the other candidate for the potential love triangle. All these characters were well developed and interesting. There was a good balance of romance, action and mystery.

The writing was flawless. It flowed well, was nicely paced and interlaced with lots of humor. It definitely held my attention throughout. It was a really good introduction to the fantasy world created by Stacey Marie Brown, and I am certainly interested enough in the plot and feel invested in the characters to want to get book two to find out how the story continues. Considering that I don’t usually read any fantasy books that is saying a lot.

Michelle Sparks did an excellent job narrating. I hope she will continue as narrator for book 2 in the series. She really made Ember sound like an eighteen-year-old girl. Michelle Sparks was very good at expressing emotions. I would certainly listen to other audiobooks narrated by her. There were no issues with the production.

A definite recommendation for paranormal romance fans, maybe enjoyed more by YA/NA readers at the lower end of the age spectrum. Saying that, I am a very “mature” adult and I definitely enjoyed it.

Audiobook provided for review by the author. ( )
  audiobibliophile | Sep 1, 2015 |
Ember is an eighteen year old senior who doesn’t fit in with anyone except for two friends who are also outcasts. She keeps finding herself in the middle of weird events, like the electric sparking at a dance and since she’s at each event where something happens, both the principal and the sheriff believe she’s at fault; they just can’t prove it. So she’s sent to a school for troubled teens where she feels more at home.

Having gone through therapy a number of times and not liking to be drugged, she doesn’t want her stepdad to know that she’s still hallucinating. And it takes her a long time to figure out that she’s the one making weird things happen. There’s also a guy at the school that’s definite trouble and she never knows from one minute to the next how he’s going to act around her with both his attraction and stay-away-I-hate-you actions.

Definitely written for a YA audience, this story is about Ember learning what she is. It will seem obvious to the reader, although you’ll find it’s not quite what you thought. I have to be honest here, the story dragged and I’d set the book aside at one point to read something else. It’s not until about the 90% mark that Ember starts learning what she is.

Ember is somewhat amusing with his snarky comments, but she’s rather slow on the uptake. The secondary characters are interesting, although there is still a great deal we don’t know about them.

But I didn’t enjoy the story enough to want to continue reading the series. ( )
  dearheart | Aug 29, 2015 |
TSTL ( )
  IvieHill | Aug 6, 2015 |
**I was given a free copy of this in exchange for an honest review**

Title: Darkness of Light
Series: Darkness #1
Author: Stacey Marie Brown
Format: Smashwords copy, 234 pages
Rating: 2 stars

My Review:DNF at 45%.

I'm sure this book would appear to loads of people, i'm just not one of them.

In the 45% i did read, it was mainly just the main character crushing hard on the Bad Boy.

Nothing really exciting was happening and i just couldn't keep going.

Overall it was okay, just not something i was majorly into. ( )
  booklife4life | Jul 3, 2015 |
( This book was giving to me for free from the Read It & Reap Program for my honest review )

4.5 Stars

Oh my, oh my, oh my. >.
Once I stared reading I couldn't put this book down. I got sucked into this world, and now I'm a wholehearted fan.

The writing almost had a rhythm to it, everything flowed, and connected splendidly. At no time was I confused, but at times I was biting my nail. Oh my heart, I think it was going to jump out of my chest at one point.

I've already started the second book and I am loving it!

This is now up there with my fav series of this year.

Thank You to the author for letting me read this wonderful piece of art.

I may add more to this review when I have the second book finished. >.
Cheers

Emily

E.A.Walsh | Jun 10, 2015 |

New Adult/Mature YA: sexual content, language, alcohol, violence, death, and other mature content intended for readers 17 and older.

Freak. Witch. Crazy. Schizo.

Ember Brycin has been called them all. She’s always known she’s different. No one has ever called her normal, even under the best circumstances. Bizarre and inexplicable things continually happen to her, and having two different colored eyes, strange hair, and an unusual tattoo only contributes to the gossip about her.

When the latest school explosion lands her in a facility for trouble teens, she meets Eli Dragen, who’s hot as hell and darkly mysterious. Their connection is full of passion, danger, and secrets. Secrets that will not only change her life, but what and who she is—leading her down a path she never imagined possible.

Between Light and Dark, Ember finds a world where truth and knowledge are power and no one can be trusted. But her survival depends on finding out the truth about herself. In her pursuit, she is forced between love and destiny and good and evil, even when the differences between them aren’t always clear. At worst, she will incite a war that could destroy both worlds. At best, she will not only lose her heart but her life and everyone she loves. Once the truth is out, however, there will be no going back. And she’ll definitely wish she could.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,990,288 books! | Top bar: Always visible