Field of Daisies by Barbara Hattemer

Field of Daisies

by Barbara Hattemer

322,001,085 (4)None
Recently added byTMWoodsBooks, jbarr5

The foundation for this story about Alzheimer’s and how it affects different lives in this family is laid in the first third of this novel. Andrea Mulder, mother of two and loving wife, has her life forever changed when her husband takes a job working for her dad. They move, and a new life begins as her mother is close enough to have a controlling influence on Andrea’s life.

A beautiful love story is woven into the memories Andrea recalls of how her and her husband fell in love and their relationship blossomed. Unfortunately their marriage takes a turn when her mother starts showing signs of Alzheimer’s, and then the disease progresses.

This is a book that requires a box of Kleenexes. If you or someone you know struggles with Alzheimer’s, this story not only shows how the disease affects families and the patient, but it also gives hope.

Andrea goes on a spiritual journey as she struggles through this storm in her life. I found this part of the book very insightful and quite a blessing for myself. I love how Barbara, the author, has taken the reader through this journey and allows us to experience the healing truths Andrea discovers in the Word.

This story will touch your life. It is not only a love story, but a testimony is weaved through it. God’s handy work is expressed and His blessings in the author’s life is shared. It is a very open, amazing story of truth.

Note: I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book from bookfun.org . For more reviews go to www.TMWoodsBooks.com/blog. The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility. Also follow me on Twitter @TMWoodsBooks, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/TMWoodsBooks. ( )
  TMWoodsBooks | Jul 8, 2013 |
Field of Daisies by Barbara Hattemer
What first attracted me to this book was the cover as it is summer and my daisies are in bloom. When I read the synopsis I hoped this book would help with an aging parent dealing with the same illness.
Seems every week we visit she forgets more things and it's frustrating.
Lans has just talked to her father and he's offered him the VP of the company and after he retires the company would be totally his. Andrea likes the idea of moving from NY to PA where her grandparents had the farm.
Love hearing of the field of daisies as they settle into their new life=her mother has organized parties for them to attend to get to know everybody and has even picked out their house.
Andrea finds out more after her father dies and she realizes he had covered up much of his wife's lapses of memory. She also witnessed some of her grandparents illness when she spent time at the farm.
The solution they come to is for her mother to move in with them and she does. Evelyn relies on Andrea more though.
Over the present day Andrea goes back to when she was growing up at the farm-where she had first met Lars and their relationship started. Love hearing of all the travel and all the things they did the summer Lans was at the farm.
Lans has given up on their marriage as Andrea doesn't have time for her husband or children-who are at college.
Daisy chains and fireflies-what times they were ! Lan's mother Katherine comes to her rescue with not only praying with her but offering help in a new experimental treatment available.
When Andrea finds out she's more at risk for sudden onset of the disease she reaches out to Katherine again and she in turn hopes her son Lans will be there for her...she again gets help from Katherine and from another angel who comes into their lives but will Lans return to her.
Only their faith in God will prevail, lots of scriptures are quoted throughout the book relating to the problem.
I received this book from The Book Club Network (bookfun.org) via the author in exchange for my honest review. ( )
  jbarr5 | Jun 13, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,145,434 books! | Top bar: Always visible