The Splendor of Silence: A Novel by Indu…

The Splendor of Silence: A Novel (edition 2007)

by Indu Sundaresan

Info:Washington Square Press (2007), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 416 pages
Collections:Your library, Historical Fiction, Audiobooks
Tags:Fiction, 20th Century, India, audiobook

The Splendor of Silence: A Novel by Indu Sundaresan

Having read this author before and loving her books, I was really looking forward to The Splendor of Silence by Indu Sundaresan. Unfortunately, I wasn’t as pleased with this book as I had hoped. There’s a lot going on, it’s partly a historical history, partly a love story, an partly a mystery. And I think that is the reason I was left slightly unsatisfied, simply too much going on and a feeling that some of the story was slipping through the cracks.

Starting in the 1960’s a young woman, grieving over the death of her father, Sam, receives a trunk from India and learns about her unknown mother from the unidentified letters enclosed within. We are then drawn back to 1942 and the events surrounding her parents who meet and fall in love over the course of four days in the small principality of Rudrakot, in the northwest of India. If the focus had remained on these two people, I think the story would have benefited but other minor characters were also given detailed storylines.

This story touches on many events that were happening at that time, from the world war, to India stirring with a desire to throw off the British yoke for independence. A fascinating time and place, I wanted to be swept away with an touching storyline about this rapidly changing society but instead I felt the narrative was broken into too many pieces and it lost much of it’s appeal. Still I would definitely try another of her books as I love her exotic settings and her insights into the mysterious country of India. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Apr 3, 2011 |
I really loved this book. It brought India to life for me. I found it so well written. ( )
  Smits | Mar 25, 2010 |
Amazing book. The characters are compelling, and the story is sad but beautiful. ( )
  lecia1167 | Nov 29, 2008 |
In Short: A slow paced story that failed to grab my interest. So after reading about 1/2 the book I decided to put it aside and search for a more compelling read.

For a full review:
http://tickettoanywhere.blogspot.com/2008/03/splendor-of-silence-by-indu-sundare... ( )
  Irisheyz77 | Mar 13, 2008 |
This is a love story between a British soldier and a young woman who is to marry the local Raj. Fascinating historical read. ( )
  Sengels | Nov 30, 2007 |

When Sam Hawthorne, a twenty-five-year-old U.S. Army captain, arrives at the princely state of Rudrakot in May of 1942, it is on a personal quest to find his missing brother. But Sam's mission is soon threatened by the unlikeliest of sources -- he falls hopelessly in love with Mila, daughter of the local political agent. And Mila, unexpectedly attracted to Sam, finds herself torn between loyalty to her family and the man she loves.

A sweeping and poignant story of forbidden love, The Splendor of Silence opens twenty-one years later with Olivia, Sam's daughter, receiving a trunk of treasures from India, along with an anonymous letter that finally fills the silences of her childhood. She finally learns the heartrending story of her parents' passionate and enduring love affair -- throwing them in the path of racial prejudice, nationalist intrigue, and the explosive circumstances of a country on the brink of independence from British rule.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:21 -0400)

In 1942, Sam Hawthorne, a young U.S. Army captain, arrives in a tiny princely state in western India. He carries combat wounds and several secrets, one of which is the real reason behind his visit: to find his brother Mike, an idealistic American soldier who disappeared after joining the local struggle for independence from the British. But Sam's mission is soon threatened when he falls in love with Mila, daughter of the local political agent. Betrothed to the local prince, Mila draws Sam into a doomed affair that places them both in the path of dynastic intrigue, racial prejudice, and the explosive circumstances of a country torn between imperialism and nationalism.… (more)

55 wanted2 pay5 pay

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,413,186 books! | Top bar: Always visible