Bloodshifted by Cassie Alexander

Reading that this is the final book in the series I feel a little differently about this book. Although my feelings did not change that much (just feel stronger). What I mean by this is that after reading Deadshifted I was looking forward to reading this book because I wanted to see how Edie would survive her capture with her pregnancy. At this time I did not know this book was the last. So, reading it did not feel like the last book in this series. It felt as if the decision to end it was after this book was written. Even the ending did not seem like a conclusion.

All the time I was reading this book I was only semi interested in what was happening. Edie was cool but even she could not hold the story as a lead the whole way through. Yet the second half of the book is better then the first half. Still an Edie fan. ( )
  Cherylk | Mar 27, 2016 |
4.5/5
What I always liked about Cassie Alexander it's that there is no glamour, glory or some sort of higher purpose to her supernaturals. They are nasty, vicious motherf*ckers and unapologetic to a boot. I LOVE it.

Here it is again then. Poor Edie is turned into a daytimer, so she and her baby could be saved from the virus she got infected with in a previous book.However her friendly vampire Anna is not there to bind her to herself, instead she pulls the strings so her rival and enemy Raven will do it instead.

That opens a whole can of worms for Edie, Anna and Asher, and Edie needs to be prepared to do anything to survive her moody, conniving master, his jealous daytimers and his unhinged scientist whose experiments have potential to change the world for the worse.

Add to it Shadows catching a ride along with Edie and a strange vampire invading her dreams, throw in a conspiracy, and well... in a classic manner for Miss Alexander, our favourite nurse's hands are full.

This is dark, chilling and gory. Edie despite being tougher to kill in Bloodshifted is still very much human, weak and very, very scared. She is scared for her baby and she is scared that Raven's mind-control will make her work against Anna and people she loves, and she is determined to do everything in her power to stop him.

Cassie Alexander's style brings you back to early urban fantasy, when a reader took nothing for granted. Forget glamorised seduction, luxurious living and angst among monsters. This is down and dirty and very honest, and your humble servant enjoyed it immensely. Highly recommended. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
Let me just say this – Edie Spence Rocks! She is probably one of the most relatable characters I have read in this genre. You absolutely feel like you know her, and you can relate to her work life, as a nurse, her love life and everything else in between… that is…. if you had vampires and other creatures that were a part of your life. Other than that, she seems just like you and me. She is sarcastic, and funny, and very real. Having gone into the medical profession, she wants to save lives if she can, and she uses her knowledge as a nurse to do so, several times.

Edie has been kidnapped by the Vampire Raven, but she’s almost sure she is going to be saved…..eventually. The only problem is she has to make sure she stays alive and keep herself and her unborn baby safe until then. In the mean time she has to bow down to Raven, who is now her master, since he gave her blood when she was dying. Raven didn’t do it out of the goodness of his undead heart, he did it to take favor and to have power over his nemesis, the living Vampire Anna, who is a friend of Edie’s. Anna has been a part of all of the books from the beginning and in this book you’re not really sure if she’s good or bad. Are the stories about her (she’s know as The Beast) true? Can Edie safely rely on her to save them?

Asher is pretty much missing in this book, however the book has so much fast action that you don’t miss the romance. A few times I found myself skimming just to make sure Edie was going to be alright. Then going back to read the paragraph again, once I knew she was safe. Pretty silly, since she’s the main character and it’s told by her point of view, but that is how involved you get with her plight.

I have followed Edie from book one, but have heard that this is the last installment. It ended with too many unanswered questions for that to really be the case, but if so, I’ll be extremely disappointed. If you haven’t picked up this series, do so now, starting with book one. Nightshifted ( )
  MustHaveFiction | Apr 11, 2015 |
I love this series and I am sad to see it go. I think we should get more on this series and maybe some day we will. I will miss Edie Spence and Asher very much. This is a great series anyone should read! ( )
  Aly3636 | Jan 8, 2015 |
Edie was rescued in the last book and her life saved from the parasite inside her – with an infusion of vampire blood. When a human drinks vampire blood they become a Daytimer, the people Edie had so often pitied when working in the hospital. Bound to vampires, the benefits of strength and resilience are offset by the enslavement to a vampire – mystically forced to obey their every command

And most vampires are not nice people, Raven, her new master, is certainly not one of them. Edie has to hope to survive until Anna can rescue her – originally planning to wait until her baby is born. But life as a Daytimer is fraught, dangerous and highly competitive and rescue plans – or escape plans – need to be speeded up. Especially since her conscience won’t let her stay idle in the face of Raven’s abuses and murders.

I really like Edie as a protagonist – she has so many excellent qualities that make her stand out as a special person without needing special shiny woo-woo that sets her above or apart, without her having to be the Chosen One. Edie is a nurse (and so is the author which means we have some excellent authenticity), and, now, a Blood Servant. But she’s a Blood Servant among Blood Servants, she’s still the bottom-of-the-rung baseline. But she’s intelligent (without being a genius), she’s brave (without being a foolish, defiant, RAWR-I-PROOVE-HOW-BADASS-I-AM-BY-HEADBUTTING-DRAGONS!), she’s extremely good – but not saintly. I think that last point is an excellent balance to strike; Edie is good. There are lines she won’t cross and she will risk herself to save someone, unable to live with herself if she didn’t. But she’s not going to do it without weighing up the risks and, ultimately, if she has to keep quiet or even do something terrible to save herself then so be it. She hits a great balance in a genre that is often quite inconsistent with their protagonist’s morality (often the confused result of wanting to write a super saint AND a ruthless badass at the same time).

What I wasn’t thrilled about is Edie’s single-minded focus on her pregnancy. Yes, she’s pregnant, yes she’s worried about the baby – but it’s ok for her to worry about her own life as well. It’s ok for her to be afraid and want to live without using the baby as, I don’t know, some kind of justification for self-interest? Like Edie doing every she did in order to live is not acceptable, but it’s ok so long as it’s clear she’s doing it for her pregnancy? And I’m quite sure the zygote isn’t judging Edie on her behaviour, she can stop worrying about that

I like that there is still a level of complexity to the meta-plot of this book and series. There are enemies (like Dren) who have become… well, if not friends, then reluctant and complicated allies. Which covers a lot of the relationships in this book – Anna is Edie’s friend and that’s true and endearing and powerful – but the concerns about her, what she represents and what she seems to be doing are legitimate. House Grey of the vampires is threatening and menacing and has been a terrible enemy far too often – but are they entirely in the wrong? Even the Blood Servants Edie spends time with – the friendly are only friendly to a given degree while even the most hateful of the enemies have a good reason for their opposition, hyper-competitiveness and general insecurity.

Even the big bads are not too simplistic. Natasha is naïve and foolish and has been terribly manipulated from a young age and even Raven has a past which goes a long way to explain how he became what he is. I appreciate the complexity that stops anything being easily simplistic (even Edie’s relationship with Asher has caused considerable complexity to get past in previous books).

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Jul 11, 2014 |

Cassie Alexander is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,988,844 books! | Top bar: Always visible